Whitehaven (A)

Wakefield Ram

Well another trip to Cumbria and hopefully a stronger team and a better performance.

Not expecting a win, a Whitehaven had a morale-boosting 60-0 win at Doncaster last week, but a strong performance will put us in a good place for Newcastle next week.

You may not agree with this, but I think that as individuals our players are very capable and would fit into the top teams in this division. They are certainly as good as the Batley team, but unfortunately not nearly as well drilled and organised as a team. Where is the attacking structure, backing up and organisation? Bringing in more players may help a little bit but we need an on field organiser of the Cuthbertson variety.

I don’t like all this chopping and changing and that’s only going to get worse now DR is rearing it’s ugly head. 
All it creates imo is disruption and uncertainty for players. Where is the incentive for a player to come in and perform well only to be told the following week your not playing because a player from another club needs a run out. 
a coach’s job is to bring the best out of the players he’s got and I don’t think anyone can argue that’s currently the case. 
Sunday is a huge game so hopefully the changes work. 

22 minutes ago, myview said:

You may not agree with this, but I think that as individuals our players are very capable and would fit into the top teams in this division. They are certainly as good as the Batley team, but unfortunately not nearly as well drilled and organised as a team. Where is the attacking structure, backing up and organisation? Bringing in more players may help a little bit but we need an on field organiser of the Cuthbertson variety.

I believe that this has been identified and acknowledged within the club. I presume that Knowles, Ferguson, Annakin and Peltier would bring these characteristics to the forwards where we have looked much more fragile so far this term so their absences have been felt. I do believe that Beharrell is gaining more influence now and some players are recognising how to play off him, which is promising.

However, I don't believe that the attack is our real problem, it is our leaky defence. Improve that drastically, increase ball retention, improve discipline and we might be in with a chance. If it stays the same we aren't going to stay up, simple as that.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

5 minutes ago, Outside view said:

I don’t like all this chopping and changing and that’s only going to get worse now DR is rearing it’s ugly head. 
All it creates imo is disruption and uncertainty for players. Where is the incentive for a player to come in and perform well only to be told the following week your not playing because a player from another club needs a run out. 
a coach’s job is to bring the best out of the players he’s got and I don’t think anyone can argue that’s currently the case. 
Sunday is a huge game so hopefully the changes work. 

Generally I agree but injuries, absences and suspensions have played their part in the lack of consistency in selection.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Milnes is a half back. 

Richards is a prop with 100 plus games in SL and cover with Peltier, Walton and Ferguson all missing.

Phoenix Lalau Togagae assume will be FB in place of Callum Turner.

Just shows how thin our squad is.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

I believe that this has been identified and acknowledged within the club. I presume that Knowles, Ferguson, Annakin and Peltier would bring these characteristics to the forwards where we have looked much more fragile so far this term so their absences have been felt. I do believe that Beharrell is gaining more influence now and some players are recognising how to play off him, which is promising.

However, I don't believe that the attack is our real problem, it is our leaky defence. Improve that drastically, increase ball retention, improve discipline and we might be in with a chance. If it stays the same we aren't going to stay up, simple as that.

We have struggled to score for the last 3 seasons. Our highest score this season is 16 points. We seem to defend well for periods but once we fall behind, heads seem to go down. 

I didn't go to Workington but the tries conceded there were League 1 level, forwards just barging over.

21 hours ago, myview said:

You may not agree with this, but I think that as individuals our players are very capable and would fit into the top teams in this division. They are certainly as good as the Batley team.

Not surprisingly I don't agree! Ryder only player I would have at Batley. Going to be an interesting game at Haven!

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

Hi Rams fans

Not making the trip?

Make sure your listen to all the action for your trip to Haven today! Full match commentary from myself and Kells coach  Peter Smith via https://bbc.in/3CiDk5P and BBC Sport app from 14.50

On paper this looks like it could be a tight match, after all the points difference is only 14 between us, Haven just having the better defence, but both only scoring 40 miserable points. 

In reality, the Cumbrians on their own turf, will probably outrun us; after all they did win at Doncaster in the cup last week by 60. 

Whitehaven 36-12 Dewsbury 

FTS: Ryder

MoM: Beharrell 

Att; 835

Legs, Dews, Legs.

Poor performance today again, conceded 3 tries in under 10 minutes. Glad I didn’t go as it sounds like we just capitulated. Good job Workington and London lost or we would be bottom. Where do we go from here? Coach has 2 weeks before we play again to sort something out.

17 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

On paper this looks like it could be a tight match, after all the points difference is only 14 between us, Haven just having the better defence, but both only scoring 40 miserable points. 

In reality, the Cumbrians on their own turf, will probably outrun us; after all they did win at Doncaster in the cup last week by 60. 

Whitehaven 36-12 Dewsbury 

FTS: Ryder

MoM: Beharrell 

Att; 835

Decent effort CF.   Only four points out. 

34 minutes ago, KC Ram said:

Poor performance today again, conceded 3 tries in under 10 minutes. Glad I didn’t go as it sounds like we just capitulated. Good job Workington and London lost or we would be bottom. Where do we go from here? Coach has 2 weeks before we play again to sort something out.

Tbh I think LG should have 2 more weeks to get a win or be sacked. The following game after Newcastle is Leigh A and our inability to score means we have to keep the opposition to 10-12 points to have a chance of winning. 

On 04/03/2022 at 21:04, Wakefield Ram said:

We have struggled to score for the last 3 seasons. Our highest score this season is 16 points. We seem to defend well for periods but once we fall behind, heads seem to go down. 

I didn't go to Workington but the tries conceded there were League 1 level, forwards just barging over.

Exactly what happened today mate Attacked and defended well in 1st half and deserved to be in front at HT.. Then folded once we got a couple of early trys in the 2nd half. 

1 hour ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Tbh I think LG should have 2 more weeks to get a win or be sacked. The following game after Newcastle is Leigh A and our inability to score means we have to keep the opposition to 10-12 points to have a chance of winning. 

1 hour ago, Wakefield Ram said:

It will take at least a couple of weeks to get applications, interview and appoint a new coach.

Best get the process started sharpish then. I guess it also depends on who is out there

6 hours ago, NickD said:

Decent effort CF.   Only four points out. 

I’m afraid it’s no comfort Nick.

Listening to BBC Radio Cumbria’s fair commentary it seemed we were good value for the half time lead, but the commentator said we tired towards the end of the match, but didn’t deserve that scoreline (I think I’ve heard that before). Sounded to me like Beharrell was our MoM.

The League Express report gives a similar impression, but still it doesn’t make good reading. Their reporter suggested Magrin was our MoM.

Now what do we do to improve greatly?

Legs, Dews, Legs.

19 minutes ago, Crown Flatter said:

I’m afraid it’s no comfort Nick.

Listening to BBC Radio Cumbria’s fair commentary it seemed we were good value for the half time lead, but the commentator said we tired towards the end of the match, but didn’t deserve that scoreline (I think I’ve heard that before). Sounded to me like Beharrell was our MoM.

The League Express report gives a similar impression, but still it doesn’t make good reading. Their reporter suggested Magrin was our MoM.

Now what do we do to improve greatly?

Is fitness the issue or maybe we are just ######? 

FWIW I don’t think we have a bad squad and we also have access to some good Hull KR reserves too. I think LG should be getting a better tune out of them!

Whether the Hull KR players are fully committed to the cause is another question.

Newcastle at home is a big game. If we don’t win that game then it’s maybe time to let someone else have a go.

rambo.gif

Archived