Leeds threepeat side v current St Helens side

On 18/03/2022 at 22:28, Tommygilf said:

Just to make clear, the Leeds threepeat side won the LLS in 2009 and were 1 point behind St Helens for the LLS in both 2007 and 2008.

That threepeat side wasn't the same as the 2011 and 2012 title winning sides, who were far more inconsistent in the regular season.

They also faced far better opposition than this current Saints side.

On 19/03/2022 at 08:23, Chrispmartha said:

I think you’re confusing the threepeat side with the side in 2015 that did the treble.

The typical Leeds side from 2009

1. Brent Webb

2. Scott Donald

3. Lee Smith

4. Keith Senior

5. Ryan Hall

6. Danny Mcguire

7. Rob Burrow

8. Kylie Leuluai

9. Danny Buderus

10. Jamie Peacock

11. JJB

12. Ali Lauititi

13. Kevin Sinfield

That is one hell of a starting line up and just shows how far we have fallen.

Gareth Ellis played in two. Clinton Toopi as well.

I don't think most consistent equates to best. Saints have played great the last few years but this has been at a time when all the other big teams have generally been poor and rebuilding. I don't see many legends or greats in the team, even compared to Saints sides of yesteryear. Leeds had much more competition and more star names.

If I was thinking of the best team of the SL era I think it's hard to look past Bradford. They were a real force with some great players and at a time when there was much stiffer competition.

On 19/03/2022 at 10:09, Scubby said:

Yes it's not a contest really. Let's look at the Saints team that lost the 2009 Grand Final to that Leeds team.

1. Wellens 2. Gardner 3. Gidley 4. Eastmond 5. Meli 6. Pryce 7. Long 8. Graham 9. Cunningham 10. Puletua 11. Flannery 12. Wilkin 13. Gilmour - Subs: Roby, Hargreaves, Clough, Fa'asavalu

How many of the current Saints 17 would actually get into that team that didn't even win the comp?

Disagree - plenty of the current Saints would get into that team. Highlighted examples in bold. But arguments over the halves and hooker as well. 

On 19/03/2022 at 10:09, Scubby said:

Yes it's not a contest really. Let's look at the Saints team that lost the 2009 Grand Final to that Leeds team.

1. Wellens 2. Gardner 3. Gidley 4. Eastmond 5. Meli 6. Pryce 7. Long 8. Graham 9. Cunningham 10. Puletua 11. Flannery 12. Wilkin 13. Gilmour - Subs: Roby, Hargreaves, Clough, Fa'asavalu

How many of the current Saints 17 would actually get into that team that didn't even win the comp?

Makinson over Gardner is a certainty and Walmsley would at least make the bench over Clough and Hargreaves.

I never rated Wellens so could make a case for Welsby at full back but none of the rest come even close.

On 19/03/2022 at 10:19, Chrispmartha said:

Which is one thing you could say with 100% confidence about the respective Leeds squads. The 2009 one would murder the current one.

I can only think of Newman and Oledski (maybe fusitua) that would make the Leeds 17 of 2009

I think the academy side of 2009 would probably murder today's current squad!

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

On 19/03/2022 at 10:19, Chrispmartha said:

Which is one thing you could say with 100% confidence about the respective Leeds squads. The 2009 one would murder the current one.

I can only think of Newman and Oledski (maybe fusitua) that would make the Leeds 17 of 2009

I think the academy side of 2009 would probably murder today's current squad!

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

8 hours ago, arcticchris said:

Makinson over Gardner is a certainty and Walmsley would at least make the bench over Clough and Hargreaves.

I never rated Wellens so could make a case for Welsby at full back but none of the rest come even close.

You seriously think Knowles, Percival and Grace ‘wouldn’t come close’ to that 17?

11 hours ago, JonNgog said:

You seriously think Knowles, Percival and Grace ‘wouldn’t come close’ to that 17?

I would concede Knowles over Clough yes but Grace doesn’t get past Meli imo and Eastmond had that extra class compared to Percival who I do concede is a fine centre.

For me, a combined side would be:

Wellens, Makinson, Gidley, Percival, Grace, Lomax, Dodd, Graham, Cunningham, Walmsley, Mata'utai, Gilmour, Knowles (Subs: Roby, Fa'asavalu, Puletua, Clough)

Obviously, Long over the course of his career is a better player than Dodd is now (and given Long's incredible talents, Dodd would have to be outrageously good for years to surpass him). But, in 2009, Long wasn't quite the player that he was. 

I think if you make a combined side, it's pretty mixed between the 2009 and 2021 side. Arguably, you would put Joe Batchelor ahead of Clough. I think, with time, Sironen is going to prove a handy acquisition too.

On 19/03/2022 at 08:12, Dunbar said:

To repeat something is to do something twice.  I would have thought threepeat would be to repeat something three times and so to actually do the thing 4 times.

Do you have a tricycle with four wheels then? 

Tri, three etc means 3

Archived