This Promotion/Relegation is a Farce

11 hours ago, DEANO said:

Take away promotion and you damage every club outside sl. Having nothing to play for makes competitions pointless 

“Every” other club,really ?

Having 2 clubs spending vast sums of money filling their teams with imports damages every other club in the Championship & the comp itself 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Having 2 clubs spending vast sums of money filling their teams with imports damages every other club in the Championship & the comp itself 

We are a professional sport , or we could just return to amateur status all through the game , problem sorted 

• Confused 1

On 06/06/2022 at 23:23, ShropshireBull said:

But nowhere to play to generate rev.  Meanwhile Glentoran building that 10k sized ground.  Just avoid games there in July.

haha avoid games in jolly.  . i was there in may and the place was at a standstill for some parade or other.  avoid the period between Easter and September more like 

Clubs survive P&R in spite of the catastophic effects and like most sacred cows you can think of what it produces you can see it as piles of dung or good for the garden but it always stinks. Or the corporal punishment that never did me any harm!

Edited by Oxford

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

On 07/06/2022 at 09:45, RP London said:

While i agree with some of what you are saying and every city has its run down areas. I have family over there and go quite a lot and it is getting heavy amounts of investment, the city centre is growing and the business that are in there are putting money into the area. The Titanic quarter is growing and the City is rising out of the ashes of a long struggle. In this regard I think it would be a great city to be in, its very similar to many Northern Towns and is on the rise. 

That said putting a team in would be a minefield, you do not want to be a sectarian sport and there are a lot of sports already in the city. 

Ulster is a big team in RU circles and is doing well. They cross the divide to an extent though are in protestant area.

Northern Irish Football is heavily protestant with only the odd Catholic club like Cliftonville but if you want to know how to saturate an area with too many clubs Belfast is it... 

Gaelic also has a big, catholic, presence in the city

Cricket has a home in Belfast with Stormont being a main venue for the international team and belfast having a number of clubs. 

The Ice Hockey crosses a divide and while people will say its "for the kids" the average attendance is around the 4,500 so its not bad going. 

The biggest issue facing RL going into somewhere like Belfast is the plethora of "alternatives"... as a city its fantastic and I love it but I cant see RL getting a grip there without a mammoth amount of work, and money.

indeed and i think last time they made an attempt to play a proper professional international there was it not played at Windsor park which of course is in an area very unsafe for certain sections of the community. i to have been over many times as i have relatives there and in surrounding towns . i think when you see the club football there then the games that cross the communities tend to be very how shall i put it  partisan and unpleasant as i found out the other week when attending with a Cliftonville supporter of many years .  certainly make for plenty of police overtime .

a thing about sport there seems to be its just about  all part time so who knows how a full time sport would be funded so its equal with other teams in say super league .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Davo5 said:

well if you think its bad this season i recon next season will be a shocker with teams trying to make the cut before the losers are left to sink

34 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Clubs survive P&R in spite of the catastophic effects and like most sacred cows you can think of what it produces you can see it as piles of dung or good for the garden but it always stinks. Or the corporal punishment that never did me any harm!

The same analogy can be used for licensing - there are winners and losers in every system. 

7 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Taking away every teams dreams makes any competition meaningless 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

40 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The same analogy can be used for licensing - there are winners and losers in every system. 

Well technically I agree Dave about whatever your system they'll be winners and losers but a sport that can ill afford more or less anything and feels that they care what happens to clubs shouldn't really be dicing with causing their demise. Unless, of course less means more dosh to go round and then it makes perfect sense.

Edited by Oxford
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

Yeah it’s called sport

• Like 1

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

8 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Sport is what kids play on school playing fields and enthusiasts do in their spare time.

So that's why Rugby League  is taken as seriously as most other sports - it's not a sport then ?

36 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Professional Rugby League is a entertainment business 

It's a sports entertainment business for accuracy.

It's not like it'll be appearing with Simon Cowell any time soon.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Oxford said:

It's a sports entertainment business for accuracy.

It's not like it'll be appearing with Simon Cowell any time soon.

Semantics tbh, or rather a subsection. Simon Cowell's latest tv show is as much a competitor for viewers and audience as anything else for Professional Rugby League. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Sport is what kids play on school playing fields and enthusiasts do in their spare time.

Oh come on. 

This insistence on trying to be smart is tiring. 

Rugby League is a sport. Your post is just plain wrong. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Semantics tbh, or rather a subsection. Simon Cowell's latest tv show is as much a competitor for viewers and audience as anything else for Professional Rugby League. 

I thought semantics was what your post was for Tommy.

Labelling where RL lies in the compeitive world.

Just now, Dave T said:

Oh come on. 

This insistence on trying to be smart is tiring. 

Rugby League is a sport. Your post is just plain wrong. 

Rugby League is a sport yes, played by children and young people, even a few "masters" for recreational purposes.

Professional Rugby League is an entertainment business and funds itself on that premise.

14 hours ago, paul hicks said:

indeed and i think last time they made an attempt to play a proper professional international there was it not played at Windsor park which of course is in an area very unsafe for certain sections of the community. i to have been over many times as i have relatives there and in surrounding towns . i think when you see the club football there then the games that cross the communities tend to be very how shall i put it  partisan and unpleasant as i found out the other week when attending with a Cliftonville supporter of many years .  certainly make for plenty of police overtime .

a thing about sport there seems to be its just about  all part time so who knows how a full time sport would be funded so its equal with other teams in say super league .

Thats an interesting thought too.. There is going to have to be work put in to getting those with money (and there are a lot in and around Belfast for sure) to invest, even the larger corporations who are investing into the city. Part of that, you would assume, would be to make sure that it crosses the communities which is much harder than it seems.

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Rugby League is a sport yes, played by children and young people, even a few "masters" for recreational purposes.

Professional Rugby League is an entertainment business and funds itself on that premise.

Just doubling down on a wrong post doesn't change it to being right 🤣

Your last line doesn't mean Pro RL isn't sport. 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Just doubling down on a wrong post doesn't change it to being right 🤣

Your last line doesn't mean Pro RL isn't sport. 

19th century thinking doesn't make it correct for the 21st century. Says a lot really!

55 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

19th century thinking doesn't make it correct for the 21st century. Says a lot really!

I'm not sure what kind of thinking it is that suggests that what we watch every week isn't sport. 

Nobody is claiming it isn't a business. It absolutely is. 

Only one person is being 'edgy' though and making then claim that Pro RL isn't sport. 

Edited by Dave T

13 minutes ago, RP London said:

Thats an interesting thought too.. There is going to have to be work put in to getting those with money (and there are a lot in and around Belfast for sure) to invest, even the larger corporations who are investing into the city. Part of that, you would assume, would be to make sure that it crosses the communities which is much harder than it seems.

Well it is for sports and clubs entrenched in the city, and NI generally, that have decades of baggage. For new sports, such as Ice Hockey and the Belfast Giants, its actually fairly easy and a real unique selling point.

• Like 1