Updated IRL World Rankings

Good stuff. Brazil women's team is still yet to play a single fully sanctioned game against sanctioned opposition and the only USA women's team to ever play has been denounced as a rebel team yet they are both ranked.

new rise.jpg

6 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

These rankings make no sense Tonga lose, England win and Tonga go above. Also Serbia don’t play at all and France win but Serbia go above how ???

England's game wasn't an international. Playing and losing gives you points. Playing made-up All Stars teams doesn't.

Serbia are probably the most active national team in the world....

• Like 3

new rise.jpg

7 minutes ago, Pulga said:

England's game wasn't an international. Playing and losing gives you points. Playing made-up All Stars teams doesn't.

I get the England, Tonga change but Serbia where ranked 9th at the start of the year and they haven’t played since October last year. How have they gone above France who have played and won this year.

1 minute ago, Pulga said:

Exactly, current rankings are rather redundant due to covid as the movements here are largely dictated by results dropping out of the window of recency that impacts rankings.

England have only played 1 test since 2018, I believe they have played the least amount of tests since 2018 out of all teams in the top 30 which is pretty insane - happy to be proven wrong if someone can point it out but having a quick scan I believe the stat is correct. 

Paints a very bleak picture of Englands stance on the international game.

4 minutes ago, UTK said:

Exactly, current rankings are rather redundant due to covid as the movements here are largely dictated by results dropping out of the window of recency that impacts rankings.

England have only played 1 test since 2018, I believe they have played the least amount of tests since 2018 out of all teams in the top 30 which is pretty insane - happy to be proven wrong if someone can point it out but having a quick scan I believe the stat is correct. 

Paints a very bleak picture of Englands stance on the international game.

England didn’t play a game in 2019 because they played as Great Britain but at least they played a game last year unlike Australia 

1 minute ago, SydneyRoosters said:

England didn’t play a game in 2019 because they played as Great Britain but at least they played a game last year unlike Australia 

I am in no way going to argue that Australia shouldn't be playing more games but the fact that England would rather make up a fake team than actually do something for the International game says a lot.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, UTK said:

I am in no way going to argue that Australia shouldn't be playing more games but the fact that England would rather make up a fake team than actually do something for the International game says a lot.

England, France and Wales should play a 3 game series at the end of every year

Edited by SydneyRoosters
  • Like 4

GB did count towards England rankings as a percentage.

So if the team was 95% English players England got 95% of the rankings.

Ridiculous tbh.

new rise.jpg

6 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

England, France and Wales should play a 3 game series at the end every year

Absolutely agree with that, something of the sort needs to be a staple of the calendar and I think most would agree.

My preference would be a re-structuring of the top tier of the European Championships to accommodate this but I struggle to see it happening.

One scenario which would force it is France doing the unthinkable in the group stages at the World Cup - forcing England to qualify for 2025 by playing in the European Championships.

I’m not sure if the rankings play any part in seedlings for World Cup qualification further down the list but the rankings are a bit redundant at the top end. 

It’s just good and actually a bit crazy that there’s now 48 countries who are working with the IRL and a real spread of nations across the planet. 

45 minutes ago, Young Blood said:

Serbia being 8th team is insane, however if they can add Trbojevic brothers, Cotric they be pretty good side. 

Serbia actually have a fair few NRL players and q cup players they could youse. And a decent comp in Serbia if they played more games with some of these players they’d be decent.

1 hour ago, Young Blood said:

Serbia being 8th team is insane, however if they can add Trbojevic brothers, Cotric they be pretty good side. 

Won the B championship so they should be taking part in the top tier whenever it is held.

4 hours ago, SydneyRoosters said:

England, France and Wales should play a 3 game series at the end of every year

It shouldn't be limited to them. ERL wants to hold regular European competitions and Jamaica should be brought into any series. They are too good for the other Americas countries and have a growing domestic scene.

Serbia actually can have an incredible backline 

1. Tom Trbojevic 

2. Cody Ramsey 

3. Paul Momaroski 

4. Tom Opacic 

5. Nic Cotric 

6. Jayden Sullivan 

7. Nathan Cleary 

You have the best fullback and halfback in the world, solid centres, talented young 5/8 and one of the better wingers in Cotric. 

11 hours ago, NW10LDN said:

Won the B championship so they should be taking part in the top tier whenever it is held.

It shouldn't be limited to them. ERL wants to hold regular European competitions and Jamaica should be brought into any series. They are too good for the other Americas countries and have a growing domestic scene.

Tier 1- England, France and Wales

Tier 2- Ireland, Scotland, Greece, Italy

Tier 3- Malta, Netherlands, Spain, Serbia, 

Jamaica should play against the usa, canada and Brazil

11 hours ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Tier 1- England, France and Wales

Tier 2- Ireland, Scotland, Greece, Italy

Tier 3- Malta, Netherlands, Spain, Serbia, 

Jamaica should play against the usa, canada and Brazil

Jamaica should play against teams at their own level which is Wales and Ireland. Their amateur side already compete against US and Canada.

On 08/07/2022 at 12:25, Pulga said:

GB did count towards England rankings as a percentage.

So if the team was 95% English players England got 95% of the rankings.

Ridiculous tbh.

As they lost all their games surely that can't be a good thing for England.