Any RL In Indonesia?

Just thinking about it, a nation so close to Australia, borders PNG where rugby league is national sport. With a population of 273M it incredible it hasn't been tried to bring game there, doesn't. So many Australians live in Bali which makes it hard to understand how RL hasn't had any traction there. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Young Blood said:

Just thinking about it, a nation so close to Australia, borders PNG where rugby league is national sport. With a population of 273M it incredible it hasn't been tried to bring game there, doesn't. So many Australians live in Bali which makes it hard to understand how RL hasn't had any traction there. 

Maybe they're just there backpacking! 

A decade or so ago the Kangaroos played the Kiwis in a 4N game at The Stoop in West London, and the attendance wasn't quite capacity at 12k, with plenty of Brits attending. At the time the Antipodean population in London was around 300k. Today, that number is significantly lower, yet still comfortably six figures, but, at a guess, fewer than one hundred are involved with RL in the south.

Do Aussies and Kiwis really travel to evangelise Rugby League? No. By and large it needs take up be locals, but yes, often with ex pat knowledge and help. 

You can't simply say Aussies move there so why is there no League!

West Papua had a representative team. The province is similar culturally to PNG so that would be the best place to introduce it but there's a lot tension there as there are many who wouldn't consider themselves Indonesian.

41 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

A decade or so ago the Kangaroos played the Kiwis in a 4N game at The Stoop in West London, and the attendance wasn't quite capacity at 12k, with plenty of Brits attending. At the time the Antipodean population in London was around 300k. Today, that number is significantly lower, yet still comfortably six figures, but, at a guess, fewer than one hundred are involved with RL in the south.

Do Aussies and Kiwis really travel to evangelise Rugby League? No. By and large it needs take up be locals, but yes, often with ex pat knowledge and help. 

There are a number of London clubs with mainly Aussie and kiwi players, it’s more than 100 playing. 

1 hour ago, Number 16 said:

You will find places like Brazil, Chile, Canada Italy, Greece and Lebanon started or were helped alot by an Australian living in those respective countries. If I had some spare time and few million in the bank 😂 I'll try and get something started there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

There are a number of London clubs with mainly Aussie and kiwi players, it’s more than 100 playing. 

Hmmmm. Not really.The Antipodean 'flavoured' teams are...

Hammersmith - one team

West Warriors - two teams

London Chargers - two teams.

So one hundred players a week between them... But ... they're not all Colonials!

Yes, there are others scattered around the ten other teams, but I'll stick with a hundred or so. 

Unless you can point me in the direction of other clubs in London.

51 minutes ago, Young Blood said:

You will find places like Brazil, Chile, Canada Italy, Greece and Lebanon started or were helped alot by an Australian living in those respective countries. If I had some spare time and few million in the bank 😂 I'll try and get something started there. 

Brazil and Chile started in Oz. 

Canada was an internal start up.

Italy? Oz based team playing only in Oz, whilst in Italy itself it was basically Italians who kicked it off.

Greece... See Italy.

Lebanon... Farah and Elias in Oz. Did work in Lebanon too, supported by Danny K of RLEF who lived out there.

Nowhere have Aussie ex-pats AS A COMMUNITY really started RL anywhere ((well, since PNG in the 40s!). Individuals have contributed.

More Aussies play Rules than League in London!

• Thanks 1

A starting point would be NRL games on FTA TV. I think people would watch it, but awareness is pretty much zero. Expecting an indigenous national team or a national club competition is cloud cuckoo stuff.

Soccer is #1 by some distance especially the EPL, which is broadcast live FTA on a Saturday night. Boxing gets a decent, but probably ageing, audience.

Participation-wise, it's not happening. They're soccer mad, but their national team is a joke. Only badminton is in any way competitive on the international stage. The youth seem to like basketball. Sports infrastructure and facilities/coaching is almost nonexistent. 

60% of the population lives on Java (14% of the landmass). Bali is tiny and Aussies are equally split between AFL and NRL. You can watch both in the bars. It's a huge archipelago and transport infrastructure outside Java is very poor.

Whilst Papua is bordering on PNG, politically it's very sensitive, especially to foreign interest. The racism towards the indigenous people is widespread and the independence movement is severely suppressed. 

• Thanks 1

Nrl should get the ball rolling, from a business perspective a nation of 273M people with a favourable time zone and close enough where they can have games thier in future. Indonesia have more of chance making Rlwc then a Fifa so maybe that's another selling point. 

1 hour ago, Young Blood said:

Nrl should get the ball rolling, from a business perspective a nation of 273M people with a favourable time zone and close enough where they can have games thier in future. Indonesia have more of chance making Rlwc then a Fifa so maybe that's another selling point. 

I’ve lived in Indonesia, went to university in Indonesia, travelled across the archipelago and I can speak Indonesian.

The cultural differences across Indonesia are huge and varied and it’s quite undeveloped over large parts of the country.

It’s almost incomprehensible to imagine any form of national rugby league competition with anything beyond an extremely niche following. That would be after years of groundwork and investment too.

2 hours ago, Young Blood said:

PNG has over 300 different tribes with over 850 different languages spoken and yet League is the national sport. If investment and games are showed on FTA cant see why it can't have some sort of traction.

Png has historic links with Australia that Indonesia doesn’t have. Rugby league was also there when PNG was developing its sporting culture in a country that loves toughness and hard physical cross tribal relationships at times.

Indonesians do love their violence at times but they’ve already got deeply entrenched sporting cultures and rugby is virtually unknown.

Some places like Toraja land have inter community kicking battles (see YouTube link for kids version) involving crowds like 300 v 300 but that’s already entrenched.

Getting it regularly on Indonesian tv would be no easy feat for a country with huge tv networks that broadcast to hundreds of millions. They want products that their people enjoy.

i can’t see rugby league in Indonesia being any more than AFL in other countries… extremely small, niche and with expats.

23 hours ago, Jughead said:

They’re probably glad for no NRL activity once the NRL players go home for pre-season given their penchant for fighting, drug taking, heavy drinking and idiotic behaviour. 

Yes heaven forfend that they have a beer and enjoy themselves . As long as it doesn’t hurt anyone it’s there right to have a blowout.

7 hours ago, Young Blood said:

Do they have an actual national team and domestic leagues? 

I'm not too sure. They are teaching young kids the basics and getting them interested. I do have a contact. Was considering taking them a Rovers ball down, something like that. 

33 minutes ago, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

I'm not too sure. They are teaching young kids the basics and getting them interested. I do have a contact. Was considering taking them a Rovers ball down, something like that. 

https://www.khmernights.com/can-you-play-rugby-league-in-cambodia/

Seems they have domestic league. Be great if you can if you help with what you can when you go there. 

• Like 1