Magic attendance

3 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Would it be better to play 6 'on the road' games instead of a Magic Weekend?

London, Sheffield, Newcastle, W Midlands, Liverpool, Marseille could be used 

Indonesia

• Haha 1

Just now, Eddie said:

True, but it’s no more watchable compared to proper RL than five a side is to proper football. 

No 7's has and still can be a success with the other rRugby code but in my view 9's be perfect to sell the game to non heartlands.

2 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Would it be better to play 6 'on the road' games instead of a Magic Weekend?

London, Sheffield, Newcastle, W Midlands, Liverpool, Marseille could be used 

Where in Liverpool? You wouldn’t need Anfield or Goodison for Wigan v Saints, same as any big ground in the West Midlands, Sheffield, London etc. 

55 minutes ago, lanzer98 said:

10 neutral Germans been there. Seen a few Americans (USARL) too. Great city and nightlife. We all enjoyed MW. 

Yeh, I was there all weekend and it certainly is a great city and great nightlife.  It should stay there for a few more years at least, we really do need to fill more of those 30,000 empty seats though.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, EggFace said:

No 7's has and still can be a success with the other rRugby code but in my view 9's be perfect to sell the game to non heartlands.

I use to think the old Sydney Rugby League 7's was a great way to promote the coming season in Australian Rugby League, but sadly it won't return

• Like 1

Before getting into assessments of success & locations it's important to understand what the goal is. 

Some mentions of it helping Newcastle, would be interesting if the RFL had data on that. Personally can't imagine it gets them more than 100 new fans a year (if that) looking at their attendances. I also don't think it's the best intro for new fans.

I see it as a good TV product and way to get some media attention more generally. It does a decent job if that's the aim. With the main target being existing fans not casuals or newbies.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Where in Liverpool? You wouldn’t need Anfield or Goodison for Wigan v Saints, same as any big ground in the West Midlands, Sheffield, London etc. 

Would a Saints v Warriors game played at Tranmere Rovers football ground be worth considering? Would it attract potential new fans to the game or has that boat sailed in Birkenhead?

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Would a Saints v Warriors game played at Tranmere Rovers football ground be worth considering? Would it attract potential new fans to the game or has that boat sailed in Birkenhead?

I don’t think the boat ever was in Birkenhead. I have occasionally seen a Wirral Saints flag at Langtree though tbf. 

23 minutes ago, Dallas Mead said:

Yeh, I was there all weekend and it certainly is a great city and great nightlife.  It should stay there for a few more years at least, we really do need to fill more of those 30,000 empty seats though.

If every supporter would stay in the stadium it‘d be packed. I reslised that most fans stay for their team playing and leave afterwards. 3 games of 80min a day is probably too much for fans and neutrals. 9‘s would add Entertainment and Excitement and make sure people stay. 

with regard to the french TO13 had much more travelling Fans than Catalans.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, lanzer98 said:

If every supporter would stay in the stadium it‘d be packed. I reslised that most fans stay for their team playing and leave afterwards. 3 games of 80min a day is probably too much for fans and neutrals. 9‘s would add Entertainment and Excitement and make sure people stay. 

How many fans would you say each French team had there mate? 

43 minutes ago, Cowardly Fan said:

Before getting into assessments of success & locations it's important to understand what the goal is. 

Some mentions of it helping Newcastle, would be interesting if the RFL had data on that. Personally can't imagine it gets them more than 100 new fans a year (if that) looking at their attendances. I also don't think it's the best intro for new fans.

I see it as a good TV product and way to get some media attention more generally. It does a decent job if that's the aim. With the main target being existing fans not casuals or newbies.

I thought one of the aims of MW was to attract new fans to the game from outside the heartlands. Obviously I'm wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, lanzer98 said:

It really wouldn’t be packed though.  The capacity is 52,000.

7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

How many fans would you say each French team had there mate? 

I don‘t numbers but at the TO game the grandstand was packed while at the Catalans game it wasn‘t.

I have seen much more TO shirts than Catalans One.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dallas Mead said:

I’d say 100 for Toulouse and maybe 20 for Catalans?  Seriously.

My guess: About 100 TO fans at the grandstand. No Clue about the other terasses. Catalans much less.

I agree they don‘t make the numbers of english teams 

You can’t ever knock the product on the pitch. Magic, like most rounds, tends to throw up close games, some shocks and some talking points. The product on the field doesn’t need anything to happen to it. I’ve seen Rod Studd in the past suggest that each team should allocate a player their “Magic player” and if they score a try, it’s worth five points instead of four and I’ve seen people suggest going with the old Elite 1 format where a win was worth three points but I feel that’s all gimmicky nonsense, really. 

Like all Rugby League events, it needs a bigger push and it needs a bit more work put into it. I didn’t make it to Magic this year, I couldn’t make it, unfortunately but the fan zone looked as it ever does; the World Cup trophy, a couple of kids rides, a stage area, Oddballs, somewhere to get a beer. It’s stale and there’s little to keep people around it and no buzz to want to be there for a certain time. The same inside, I guarantee you saw Tag Rugby, some local kids and probably some form of competition between fans inside the ground. Again, all very stale and boring. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Dallas Mead said:

It really wouldn’t be packed though.  The capacity is 52,000.

It would make a difference and would be Impressive on TV. Saints, Wigan, Hull, KR, and Leeds turned out in numbers when they played but less so when other Teams played 

44 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

I thought one of the aims of MW was to attract new fans to the game from outside the heartlands. Obviously I'm wrong.

It was. Now people tell themselves the opposite to justify the crowds. Magic is a stale format and other sports manage just fine with promoting their game without the same weekend.

As for the comments about French fans? What are people expecting here? There are no direct flights and a train would a be pain.

Just now, NW10LDN said:

It was. Now people tell themselves the opposite to justify the crowds. Magic is a stale format and other sports manage just fine with promoting their game without the same weekend.

As for the comments about French fans? What are people expecting here? There are no direct flights and a train would a be pain.

There’s always loads of kids running about with Cramlington Rockets (other NE clubs too) gear and the number of Thunder shirts seemed to rise year on year. It’s growing in that part of the world, you won’t see thousands turn up just yet but in true Rugby League thinking, just as the game and Newcastle Thunder as a club are growing, people want it moved. 

• Like 3