Kai Pierce Paul

35 minutes ago, Scubby said:

But you don't watch the NRL so how do you know?

Because I'm told it is faster harder and all round better than SL , and IMO he's only just about good enough for that , and that's because he's at Wigan , put him in a less good team and I think he'd struggle 

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Because I'm told it is faster harder and all round better than SL , and IMO he's only just about good enough for that , and that's because he's at Wigan , put him in a less good team and I think he'd struggle 

But you said IMO and now you are deferring to what you are being told. Which one is it? 

Two can play at this game 😄 It's fun!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Scubby said:

But you said IMO and now you are deferring to what you are being told. Which one is it? 

Two can play at this game 😄 It's fun!

If it's like League 1 he should do fine , I'll take it all back 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

KPP is contracted at Wigan to the end of 2023. Wigan addressed this rumour some weeks ago and said he would be with them until the end of his contract.   

I think that is because technically the Knights could not approach him to sign until the end of the year (or something similar). If they did they would have to pay a fee.

11 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

KPP is contracted at Wigan to the end of 2023. Wigan addressed this rumour some weeks ago and said he would be with them until the end of his contract.   

One more season at Wigan won’t do him any harm,he’s undoubtedly talented but still needs games before making the NRL switch.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Do you not feel , that sometimes players from outside the heartlands get talked up too soon by the media ? , Which then puts too much pressure on them ? , This IMO is what's happened here 

He's not ready for the NRL IMO 

Fully agree and have posted much the same before. I think we’re desperate for a young and clearly very talented Southerner to crack it and there’s extra focus on them. He’s got natural ball skills that are eye catching and is clearly an athlete but he’s still filling out and developing and he needs time yet. I think with most players that they should wait until the have 4, 5, 6+ seasons under their belts before going down under and that absolutely applies to him. The extra year at Wigan will help but he’d be best server doing another 2 or 3 years yet. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, WN83 said:

Fully agree and have posted much the same before. I think we’re desperate for a young and clearly very talented Southerner to crack it and there’s extra focus on them. He’s got natural ball skills that are eye catching and is clearly an athlete but he’s still filling out and developing and he needs time yet. I think with most players that they should wait until the have 4, 5, 6+ seasons under their belts before going down under and that absolutely applies to him. The extra year at Wigan will help but he’d be best server doing another 2 or 3 years yet. 

This all depends on what the NRL expect they are buying in with a British player.

If they want a player who can make an immediate impact (I.e. Bateman) then an established Super League star is the way to go.

However, you can also buy and develop... Young, Rushton and Bailey Hodgson are in this camp.

I am not suggesting at all that the Australian league will develop players better but they do have larger coaching squads and I assume world class facilities by the very nature of the size of the sport over there.

Add into this equation the NSW and Queensland Cups which are very well established and competitive leagues providing games for players in the NRL top 30 squads.

An interesting case study is Harry Rushton at the Raiders.  A star at junior level and debuted for Wigan at 18 I believe.  He has now been at the Raiders for 2 years and made 3 appearances.  Is this better for his development in the long run than the young forwards ar Wigan playing in the first team... Hazard, Smithies etc.

I don't know but it will be interesting to see.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

An interesting case study is Harry Rushton at the Raiders.  A star at junior level and debuted for Wigan at 18 I believe.  He has now been at the Raiders for 2 years and made 3 appearances.  Is this better for his development in the long run than the young forwards ar Wigan playing in the first team... Hazard, Smithies etc.

I don't know but it will be interesting to see.

There's no point skirting around it either, he is probably on more than double the wages of Hazard and Smithies while running around in reserve grade with the Mounties.

39 minutes ago, Scubby said:

There's no point skirting around it either, he is probably on more than double the wages of Hazard and Smithies while running around in reserve grade with the Mounties.

Which is why both should go over there and have a crack, if they make an impression in the first 1/2 years their salaries would be quadruple of what they’d be getting in SL at the same point in time.

• Like 1

Just now, northamptoncougar said:

Which is why both should go over there and have a crack, if they make an impression in the first 1/2 years their salaries would be quadruple of what they’d be getting in SL at the same point in time.

It is low risk high reward for those guys. If they don't crack it they will still be young enough to return to SL and make their mark. If it goes well, as you say, they can set themselves up for the rest of their lives. 

45 minutes ago, Scubby said:

That's true.

But there is a human element at play here alongside the sporting and earning opportunities. 

Some people - and certainly at such a young age - may not be ready to move to the other side of the world.  I was nowhere near emotionally mature enough at that age to have done what Rushton and Young have done.

I am better now of course.  A late developer who is hoping to fully develop soon!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

That's true.

But there is a human element at play here alongside the sporting and earning opportunities. 

Some people - and certainly at such a young age - may not be ready to move to the other side of the world.  I was nowhere near emotionally mature enough at that age to have done what Rushton and Young have done.

I am better now of course.  A late developer who is hoping to fully develop soon!

Have the Knights or Raiders shown any interest? Do you have a highlights reel?

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Some people - and certainly at such a young age - may not be ready to move to the other side of the world.

I was . I moved to Lancaster when I was 19 to study 

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Have the Knights or Raiders shown any interest? Do you have a highlights reel?

Knights and Raiders... pah!

It's the Panthers or nothing for me.

And I am sure they would jump at the chance of signing a 52 year old man who had to ask his wife to help him out of the bath today cause his ribs were still hurting from a chiropractic appointment 3 weeks ago.

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I was . I moved to Lancaster when I was 19 to study 

I said the other side of the world, not the end of the world.

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

And I am sure they would jump at the chance of signing a 52 year old man who had to ask his wife to help him out of the bath today cause his ribs were still hurting from a chiropractic appointment 3 weeks ago.

Don't sell yourself short. Huddersfield are on the look out for more experience in their backline.

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

You'll walk into the Keighley squad...literally. 

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

The NRL love players with double barrelled names . And it’s compulsory to call them by initials 

I thought Aussies gave all British imports a double barrelled name ! with Pommie Barsteward the most popular.

Edited by Davo5