Jump to content

McNamara blasts Huddersfield after IMG discussions


Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I fear you are at odds with DB on this one H. 

Perhaps at least exemplifying why each stakeholder involved should be more public with their initial position. Ultimately chairmen etc are just custodians of clubs, fans will be there before and after their times at the helm, they should be aware of what their hairmen are advocating on behalf of their club, and practically in their name.

I am well aware of what DB says on this subject Tommy.

But like me he has not canvassed all the supporters of the club so he doesn't as I don't what the consensus of feeling it would be, I have aired my views on it so many times,  personally I would not go to games that the outcome had no relevance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

I am well aware of what DB says on this subject Tommy.

But like me he has not canvassed all the supporters of the club so he doesn't as I don't what the consensus of feeling it would be, I have aired my views on it so many times,  personally I would not go to games that the outcome had no relevance.

It appears you go most weeks this year. What’s the difference?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Not an obsession Harry, a practical fact. Without it we are stuck with annual arrangments for a handful of games which are worth less financially and in terms of broader value from the broadcaster.  

To add, this isn't just regarding relegation, this is about the status of French teams in Super League. Are they members, guests? Toronto were voted out, what is to stop the same happening to Catalans or Toulouse? 

Ensure they are high enough up the League ladder to avoid relegation, that's all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

I am well aware of what DB says on this subject Tommy.

But like me he has not canvassed all the supporters of the club so he doesn't as I don't what the consensus of feeling it would be, I have aired my views on it so many times,  personally I would not go to games that the outcome had no relevance.

Do you not think it prudent that when representing Leigh he takes on board the views of fans like yourself?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

I’d say all of the above sadly,because obviously your only interaction with RL over here is tuning into BBC World Service in the early hours or by seeing a Pathe News broadcast in your local cinema.

Adelaide is said to be many years behind the rest of Australia so I await the arrival of Pathe News with great interest.  Is it one of those new-fangled ‘talkies’ that I have read about?  Does Harold Lloyd present it?

It’s a bit sad when your commitment to the game is questioned because you do not live next door to the club you support.

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Ensure they are high enough up the League ladder to avoid relegation, that's all.

Great, we'll give half funding to a group of clubs at the bottom then? Sure that'll be dead popular.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The decision makers in all this need to make SL more attractive than it currently is to attract a bigger TV deal and more sponsors. To do this SL needs more big clubs getting good attendances and capable of spending not just up to the current salary cap but beyond it. Catalans are absolutely one of our big clubs by any measure.

We need more and this process should seek to allow the big clubs to prosper and to create the conditions to facilitate others joining that bracket. To do this standards need to be lifted across the board because lets face it just about everything can be done better. A bar needs to be set and no more pandering to the lowest common denominator. Other sports have standards, such as Football and RU, and its about time RL gets serious about them again. SL should be an elite competition for goodness sake not a kids sports day where everyone gets a go.

It also should not be forgotten that a strong SL benefits the entire sport and funds the entire pyramid. When it is weakened the entire sport suffers. Thats what has led us to this state and IMG now. A grown up discussion needs to take place regarding that but that should not be led by self interest. We unfortunately are obviously seeing that already and thats hopefully where IMG can make the difference that we haven't seen before. I hope this is going to be a proper engagement though because one focused on the English professional clubs is going to be awfully skewed.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, LeeF said:

That’s not a denial and it was a group meeting which presumably a number if not all clubs were present

All clubs were present, or rather all clubs of each league were present at each league's individual meeting with IMG.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

People forget what an astute idea it was to form the club as Catalans back in 2004/5 which meant they could tap into regional support and commercial income. That allowed them to break the SL record attendance and to achieve the highest turnover in SL.

Had they been as short-sighted as some they would have just named themselves Perpignan to keep in with the small town theme.

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

People forget what an astute idea it was to form the club as Catalans back in 2004/5 which meant they could tap into regional support and commercial income. That allowed them to break the SL record attendance and to achieve the highest turnover in SL.

Had they been as short-sighted as some they would have just named themselves Perpignan to keep in with the small town theme.

They'd have kept St Esteve more like

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jughead said:

It appears you go most weeks this year. What’s the difference?

Actually Juggy I have been selective in the games I am attending this season, I would have normally travelled to all the away games but expected walkovers don't appeal, but nevertheless I will be at the remaining home games and hope that York and Batley can bring their A game along, albeit I expect Widnes and Newcastle will not offer a great deal if opposition, but I hope I am wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has anyone bothered to work with Catalans and ask them how they manage to keep paying the full cap with top marquee players and generate more commercial income than any other club? That would be a French club helping northern English clubs generate more income - yes?

Or do a lot of SL clubs simply want a TV central distribution hand out without having to work for it?

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

My views may well differ from a lot of others Tommy, 

They may well not as well.

How many people stopped going to Leigh games during licensing? That may give a rough idea.

I know I certainly wouldn't want my club chairman going round saying something which only has clout because of having thousands of fans like myself associated with the club he is steward of, if I didn't agree with it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Adelaide is said to be many years behind the rest of Australia so I await the arrival of Pathe News with great interest.  Is it one of those new-fangled ‘talkies’ that I have read about?  Does Harold Lloyd present it?

It’s a bit sad when your commitment to the game is questioned because you do not live next door to the club you support.

 

 

Thankfully it’s from a very small section of posters who do seem to be from the same location.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I understand that essentially IMG asked participants to state their opinions and thoughts on the game at present, both specifically their position, their wider league, and the sport more broadly. Naturally these discussions wind and weave over the course of a meeting, and international participation was discussed.

It was a hustings or information gathering exercise rather than a specific "plan for the future" proposal meeting. I know French RUs transformation (specifically in relation to the second division and how that has strengthened and grown geographically in the past 20 years, rather than the millionaires at Toulon) was mentioned, though it was not discussed to any great detail during one of the meetings.

I get the sense that IMG are just trying to get a feel for the sport currently.

Totally agree.

They are on a fact /opinion finding exercise. They have also already  spoken to the Community Board to  assess views across the piste.

Remember they were brought in to advise on how to make RL richer and more appealing which in turn means finding ways to overcome the impasse created by  conservatives/ traditionalists whose views are currently accused of having  been holding TGG back.

Expect nothing until the World Cup is over but their own self imposed time line for recommendations is January 2023.......

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, del capo said:

Totally agree.

They are on a fact /opinion finding exercise. They have also already  spoken to the Community Board to  assess views across the piste.

Remember they were brought in to advise on how to make RL richer and more appealing which in turn means finding ways to overcome the impasse created by  conservatives/ traditionalists whose views are currently accused of having  been holding TGG back.

Expect nothing until the World Cup is over but their own self imposed time line for recommendations is January 2023.......

Absolutely. If they were anything like me, they would hear a lot of this stuff at the meetings and think they're going down a blind alley to a dead end.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, del capo said:

Totally agree.

They are on a fact /opinion finding exercise. They have also already  spoken to the Community Board to  assess views across the piste.

Remember they were brought in to advise on how to make RL richer and more appealing which in turn means finding ways to overcome the impasse created by  conservatives/ traditionalists whose views are currently accused of having  been holding TGG back.

Expect nothing until the World Cup is over but their own self imposed time line for recommendations is January 2023.......

In addition, I assume the community clubs have been informed of the impending insurance hike the game is facing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Has anyone bothered to work with Catalans and ask them how they manage to keep paying the full cap with top marquee players and generate more commercial income than any other club? That would be a French club helping northern English clubs generate more income - yes?

Or do a lot of SL clubs simply want a TV central distribution hand out without having to work for it?

Bernard Guasch sells lots of chops and chitterling sausages!🤫

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Tommygilf said:

In addition, I assume the community clubs have been informed of the impending insurance hike the game is facing?

I believe the present insurance arrangements under the membership scheme means that the RFL pick up the tab.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, del capo said:

I believe the present insurance arrangements under the membership scheme means that the RFL pick up the tab.

Fair enough, perhaps it was painted in more black and white terms to the pro clubs then, given ultimately they will burden an element of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Bernard Guasch sells lots of chops and chitterling sausages!🤫

What has that got to do with commercial income and turnover? That would be directors loans which you are familiar with supporting the club you do.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

They may well not as well.

How many people stopped going to Leigh games during licensing? That may give a rough idea.

I know I certainly wouldn't want my club chairman going round saying something which only has clout because of having thousands of fans like myself associated with the club he is steward of, if I didn't agree with it.

Quite a good number Tommy at one point it was down to just about 1,000, but it did get somewhat of a resurgence when we entered SL, averaging 6,500 per game with about 5,500 of those home fans, and in a season we were relegated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...