Sheffield up next @ home

Batley Bob

Was expecting a beating at half time after a poorly managed first half, short on invention. Then we got hit with energy and pace from the kick off wherever it came from, it wasn't a team which looked like 3 games in 10 days. That's a kick on for Sunday.

• Like 1

Thought we were poor first half and looked to be lacking energy, we were camped in their 20 for long periods constantly doing the same old thing  give the man the ball and try barge over!! Honestly didnt think we had enough on the board at half time considering they had only been in our 20 twice and scored twice, 2nd half we came out and looked re, energized tackled hard and played some good stuff, thought this was a very difficult game not helped by some terrible reffin which I wouldn't normally say being a ref myself, my thoughts were although only a young lad,  he lost the game in the first 20 mins what you might call being old manned! letting Sheffield dictate the pace and being constantly harried by farrell who is a pain in the arrse!!  he never took full control of the game and lacked authority,not helped by one dodgy linesman on one side the big guy who did nothing! And then  having to be reminded about the rules by the other one, when the guy went off for a head assessment, but hay ho! and all that! The boys did the job and hopefully they  have some energy left to do a job on Halifax sunday! 

Edited by The scrim reaper
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, The scrim reaper said:

Thought we were poor first half and looked to be lacking energy, we were camped in their 20 for long periods constantly doing the same old thing  give the man the ball and try barge over!! Honestly didnt think we had enough on the board at half time considering they had only been in our 20 twice and scored twice, 2nd half we came out and looked re, energized tackled hard and played some good stuff, thought this was a very difficult game not helped by some terrible reffin which I wouldn't normally say being a ref myself, my thoughts were although only a young lad,  he lost the game in the first 20 mins what you might call being old manned! letting Sheffield dictate the pace and being constantly harried by farrell who is a pain in the arrse!!  he never took full control of the game and lacked authority,not helped by one dodgy linesman on one side the big guy who did nothing! And then  having to be reminded about the rules by the other one, when the guy went off for a head assessment, but hay ho! and all that! The boys did the job and hopefully they  have some energy left to do a job on Halifax sunday! 

Quite agree about the ref. Difficult to create much when a team is allowed to play offside, not stand square, slow the game down at will, and the only punishment handed out was six again. No team warning, or sin binning for persistent offences. 

The last thing you need when facing a grub filled, spoiling Aston type of team, is a ref like him. Who hasn't a clue of the rules, and seems like he is awe of the players he is supposed to be reffing, more interested in collecting their autograph and tie ups after the game than controlling the match.

I understand he is young, and needs to learn, but surely he would be better learning at a level suitable for his skill level? In his case, it would be looking after the under 7s, once he's mastered that, then move him up.

• Like 3

I thought we looked jaded in the first half lacked energy and composure but came out a different side 

I think we’ll be fine injury wise as the players who came off weren’t serious by the looks of it… Lillycrop and Ward to come back I guess too 

hopefully we kick on Sunday and get behind the lads! 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

Quite agree about the ref. Difficult to create much when a team is allowed to play offside, not stand square, slow the game down at will, and the only punishment handed out was six again. No team warning, or sin binning for persistent offences. 

The last thing you need when facing a grub filled, spoiling Aston type of team, is a ref like him. Who hasn't a clue of the rules, and seems like he is awe of the players he is supposed to be reffing, more interested in collecting their autograph and tie ups after the game than controlling the match.

I understand he is young, and needs to learn, but surely he would be better learning at a level suitable for his skill level? In his case, it would be looking after the under 7s, once he's mastered that, then move him up.

That's the spirit.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

That's the spirit.

No other games on, and yet it was decided to give one of the most naive referee's that game. Why?

Even some of the most experienced officials find Sheffield hard to control, so what was the logic there?

It can't have done his confidence much good, Farrell and Thackeray made more decisions than he did. 

• Like 1

Highlights from Last Night

• Thanks 1
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" ....Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865..

QVNIMTI2NjE0NTk1.jpg

manu grounds un opposed

Edited by RPH
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" ....Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865..

QVNIMTI2NjE0NTk3.jpg

Edited by RPH

QVNIMTI2NjE0NTkz.jpg

Edited by RPH

QVNIMTI2NjE0NTkx.jpg

Edited by RPH

QVNIMTI2NjE0MzM1.jpg

Edited by RPH

QVNIMTI2NjE0NTkw.jpg

Congrats to Hooley from JC and Leaky

Edited by RPH

On 04/08/2022 at 13:51, DOGFATHER said:

No other games on, and yet it was decided to give one of the most naive referee's that game. Why?

Even some of the most experienced officials find Sheffield hard to control, so what was the logic there?

It can't have done his confidence much good, Farrell and Thackeray made more decisions than he did. 

He told you this, did he?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.