Anybody know owt about printers?

Right folks, I have a wireless printer, HP Photosmart 5524. I've just installed a new set of genuine HP ink cartridges that the printer recognises as genuine and has accepted them, so far so good. When I tried to print summat after doing this, the black was a very faint grey, so thinking the black cartridge was duff I swapped it for another new one. Same result, very faint grey, so I printed a test page and here is what I can't fathom out. All the writing on the test page prints perfectly in black but of the four boxes with the colour samples in, magenta, cyan and yellow are all fine but the black hasn't printed at all.

So I'm guessing it's not a hardware problem as the test page writing is fine so it must be a software issue, does that sound about right?

Anyone have any ideas on how to solve this please?

Thanks in advance.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

What programme are you printing from?

Is it text or images?

HYTTIOATIOA?

290px-Claw-hammer.jpg

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

What programme are you printing from?

Is it text or images?

HYTTIOATIOA?

290px-Claw-hammer.jpg

"What programme are you printing from?"?!?!

It's me you're talking to, I ain't got a Scooby...but I do have an Estwing hammer not unlike the one in the photo, will that help?

25 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

"What programme are you printing from?"?!?!

It's me you're talking to, I ain't got a Scooby...but I do have an Estwing hammer not unlike the one in the photo, will that help?

Are you printing from, for instance, a Microsoft Word document. Or a PDF file? Or a Photoshop picture?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I tried printing from word pad and also a link sent to me in an email, I have no idea what these might be called, sorry.

14 minutes ago, metallithrax said:

Sometimes in the printer settings there is an option to print all text in black.  Might want to check if that is ticked.

31 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

I tried printing from word pad and also a link sent to me in an email, I have no idea what these might be called, sorry.

So you're printing from Wordpad and whatever email software you use. If you're having the same problem with different programmes, then you need to open Settings (Windows Start icon, then the one that looks like a Cogwheel) and look for the Devices section and access your printer settings in there.

There will be printer settings that reference options to print in B&W, grayscale, colour etc. You may have to print a few pages with different settings 'til you get it right. Once you can print something to your liking, there should be an choice to use those options as the default settings.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Thanks 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks for the replies but nothing seems to make a difference. I'll have a go at downloading the printer's drivers again and see if that sorts it.

Thanks again.

29 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Thanks for the replies but nothing seems to make a difference. I'll have a go at downloading the printer's drivers again and see if that sorts it.

Thanks again.

I don’t know the printer in question, but on my equivalent I know that if it fails to print clearly after changing the cartridges then I go into the printer setting to clean the heads/nozzles.  It should do this itself.  This often then resolves the printing issue.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I don’t know the printer in question, but on my equivalent I know that if it fails to print clearly after changing the cartridges then I go into the printer setting to clean the heads/nozzles.  It should do this itself.  This often then resolves the printing issue.

If it didn’t print any black at all then that’s the first thing I would have done. The bewildering thing is, on a test sheet it prints all the words perfectly but not the test square of black ink.

I had this issue with a HP printer. I vaguely remember when searching for a fix others having the same issue but no fixes. I think people thought it was a hardware fault and something weird with how HP checks for genuine cartridges.

I ended up binning the printer and would never buy a HP printer again. Not much help I know.

7 hours ago, Damien said:

I ended up binning the printer and would never buy a HP printer again

Our current printer is HP and this is the one piece of advice I would share with everyone about it.

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Our current printer is HP and this is the one piece of advice I would share with everyone about it.

I got a Brother Laser printer then. Yes Lasers cost more up front but you more than get your money back in the long run when replacing toner compared to faffing about with little ink cartridges and the print quality is far superior too.

Edited by Damien

the guy next door is a printer - i dont know much about him to be honest as he seems to work a lot of nights - comes across as pleasant enough though

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile