How awesome

29 minutes ago, Tosh said:

It sure does and makes you wonder why they even built stadium Australia.

Well it was built 25 years ago for a major thing they did and the old SFS was definitely too small.

And it was before anyone decided for political reasons that the SFS was (consults notes) "a deathtrap" (can you imagine their thoughts of Belle Vue).

• Haha 1

What a lovely stadium.

I'm utterly envious in the best possible sense.

Why can't we generate the business sponsorship, media coverage, fan engagement and government backing to build stadia like this here? 

1 minute ago, fighting irish said:

Why can't we generate the business sponsorship, media coverage, fan engagement and government backing to build stadia like this here? 

You think we don't have nice and/or new stadiums in the UK?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

11 minutes ago, M j M said:

Well it was built 25 years ago for a major thing they did and the old SFS was definitely too small.

And it was before anyone decided for political reasons that the SFS was (consults notes) "a deathtrap" (can you imagine their thoughts of Belle Vue).

Haha!!!

I had honestly forgotten about that event but even still it shows how ridiculous it is to spend all that money on a stadium for a 1 off event.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

What a lovely stadium.

I'm utterly envious in the best possible sense.

If your talking about RL stadia then it’s because even RL in Sydney can be used as a political football.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, M j M said:

To be fair the old SFS was a pretty miserable place to watch RL if it rained.

27 minutes ago, Tosh said:

Haha!!!

I had honestly forgotten about that event but even still it shows how ridiculous it is to spend all that money on a stadium for a 1 off event.

It was never built for a one off event though & Sydney lacked a large capacity stadium,the cost of the stadium was far outweighed by the financial gains the games brought which apparently added 6.7 billion USD to Australia’s GDP.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

It was never built for a one off event though & Sydney lacked a large capacity stadium,the cost of the stadium was far outweighed by the financial gains the games brought which apparently added 6.7 billion USD to Australia’s GDP.

Genuine question but has a athletics track&field event taken place at stadium Australia since the Sydney Olympics?

Fair point about the financial gains though and local jobs boost that benefited from the building of the Olympic Games structures.

Also just thinking about it RL throughout Australia would benefit from Australia hosting a FIFA World Cup tournament in terms of the building of new stadiums and upgrading of others.

The mistake they made, and this is covered in the latest episode of the Rugby League Digest, was converting Stadium Australia to be suitable nor cricket and AFL. Bastardising the stadium for a pair of sports which have barely used it leaving it less than ideal for the sport which does.

8 minutes ago, M j M said:

The mistake they made, and this is covered in the latest episode of the Rugby League Digest, was converting Stadium Australia to be suitable nor cricket and AFL. Bastardising the stadium for a pair of sports which have barely used it leaving it less than ideal for the sport which does.

I was just going to post this but you beat me to it. They destroyed Stadium Australia for sports like RL, Football and RU to accommodate sports that subsequently showed no interest in playing there.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, M j M said:

That’s absolutely absurd considering that Sydney already has the SCG, the Sydney show grounds and the NSO for both cricket and AFL.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

I was just going to post this but you beat me to it. They destroyed Stadium Australia for sports like RL, Football and RU to accommodate sports that subsequently showed no interest in playing there.

I’ve only attended 1 NRL game at ANZ & didn’t mind the stadium,although there was 44k there which helped,from a spectator point it’s no Suncorp but it’s not to dissimilar to the new Wembley.

6 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

I’ve only attended 1 NRL game at ANZ & didn’t mind the stadium,although there was 44k there which helped,from a spectator point it’s no Suncorp but it’s not to dissimilar to the new Wembley.

Wembley is far more enclosed with steeper stands and was built for rectangular sports. Stadium Australia wasn't and the end stands behind the tryline are set a good 15 metres further back at least.