International Rugby League Board meeting pre RLWC

To my knowledge there is usually a meeting of the IRLB pre tournament.

This one might get a bit feisty with the NRL flexing its muscles re taking a larger role in the International affairs.   

Two questions.

1) What do you think is on the actual agenda for discussion ?

2) What would you like to see on the agenda for discussion, debate and preferably a decision ?

For me 

1)  Pretty much what i indicated. I think the NRL will be putting forward some form of formal proposal to have a deeper say in IRL matters. 

2) I would like to see discussion on the best ways to create junior pathways in all our member countries. Especially those with genuine potential for the growth of the sport.    

Edited by The Partisan

The Rugby League Fan's Mantra for helping the game grow internationally is ten two-letter words - IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME.

23 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

Whether we like it or not the NRL clubs have the biggest stake in the international game and we need to reach a compromise with them. What that compromise is I don’t know.

Doing whatever the NRL wants is not compromise.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Talk is of V'landys joining the IRL board.

I wish I was making this up.

Does he want to shout at regional politicians around the world whilst cheering on reduced global TV deals?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Gomersall said:

True but if you pee the NRL off you effectively shut down the international game in the SH.

They've already done that and consigned it solely to a few weeks at the end of the season. I'm not really sure what else there is left to compromise on. The NRL have long done what they want anyway, whether that is postponing the World Cup last year, scrapping mid-season internationals going forward or sabotaging the Denver Test and subsequently any chance of New Zealand becoming less reliant on Australia. The only way they can make it worse is to stop end of season internationals completely.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Damien said:

They've already done that and consigned it solely to a few weeks at the end of the season. I'm not really sure what else there is left to compromise on. The NRL have long done what they want anyway, whether that is postponing the World Cup last year, scrapping mid-season internationals going forward or sabotaging the Denver Test and subsequently any chance of New Zealand becoming less reliant on Australia. The only way they can make it worse is to stop end of season internationals completely.

What do you suggest is the way forward without players contracted to NRL clubs?

Calendar, calendar, calendar

In detail:

• What the overview of IRL tournaments looks like for next 12 years? (Like World Rugby or the ICC do)
  • How October windows look? IMG seem on board with it, so ignoring 2023 (where SL GF is mid-Oct), do we get the full four weeks of international footy in October?
  • 2023 & 2024 fixtures, but suppose this cannot be finalised until we know quarter finalists from this year, due to qualifying.
  • Any idea on 2029 RLWC bidding process?
  • Key timeline of the various announcements for France (Venues, structure, draw, tickets etc - all with dates to put in the diary)
  • Like 3

Just now, BristolDevonCharlie said:

In detail:

• What the overview of IRL tournaments looks like for next 12 years? (Like World Rugby or the ICC do)
  • How October windows look? IMG seem on board with it, so ignoring 2023 (where SL GF is mid-Oct), do we get the full four weeks of international footy in October?
  • 2023 & 2024 fixtures, but suppose this cannot be finalised until we know quarter finalists from this year, due to qualifying.
  • Key timeline of the various announcements for France (Venues, structure, draw, tickets etc - all with dates to put in the diary)

This.

• Like 2

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

21 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

Hasn’t that always been the way?

No it was independent but the clubs got annoyed because the league was holding back money to build assets so undermined the administration placing their man V'landys in. Worked in with News Corp also.

https://smartassam.podbean.com/e/episode-88-part-3-on-a-tripp-with-matt/

This is Melbourne Storm chairman confirms it towards end of this interview, about the 28th minute.

Also interesting is he is involved with the Murdochs helping to set up their new sports gambling operation and V'landys will be in there somewhere also. They will be working off the NRL database to assist in getting it going.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/news-corp-gambling-entrepreneur-tripp-ready-to-punt-on-new-bookie-20221006-p5bnrl.html

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BristolDevonCharlie said:

In detail:

Troy Grant seems to have a good relationship with the NRL unlike Nigel Wood.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pulga said:

Talk is of V'landys joining the IRL board.

I wish I was making this up.

No you`re not. Peter V`landy`s and Andrew Abdo have replaced Wayne Pearce and Peter Beattie on the IRL Board.

Whether he admits it or not V`landy`s is under pressure following our main rival over heres` latest broadcast deal. By most estimates tripling the gap between the two codes after slowly narrowing it over the last  ~10 years.

I`d suggest that V`landy`s is now seriously looking at anyway that he can use to bridge that gulf, hence the new found interest in International Rugby League.

Our best hope for this is that it may be a case of private greed leading to public good.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Gomersall said:

So what is your take? How do you play meaningful international games in the SH without having the NRL clubs onside?

We now have literally one international window, the end of season. Its either play internationals in that or we don't. I'm not sure what more pandering we need to do.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

I'll tell you what I'd like to see on the agenda, USA USA USA and by extension, the America's. 

Lot of talk over here about a game being played in the U.S.

American businessman Paul Langi Kinikini has previously made attempts to bring a game of Rugby League to America in 2020, when he offered the international rugby league board a seven-figure proposal to help move the Tonga v Samoa test match.

Langi Kanikini has kept hopes alive for an international game of NRL, attempting to bring a game to Utah due to its large Polynesian population.

“He (Paul Langi Kinikini) has personally pitched this, he was in Sydney recently, he met up with Peter V'landys, Andrew Abdo and the commission, they listened very intently to what he had to say.

This bloke Kinikini made his money in software so he`s no dummy, word is he is so confident the game would be a success that he has promised to underwrite it, and this is a club game not an international as mentioned above.

A lot of talk about how he`s close friends with Dwayne Johnson (the actor) and would use him to promote the game. That`s probably speculation but sounds great.

Either way would be great if we could tie this all in with a push for the U.S. to host the 2029 WC, we get some traction there, combined with the U.K. and French tournaments and we might finally start to see it get the recognition it deserves down here.

• Thanks 1

Reports coming out of the IRL Annual Conference on comments made by Peter Beattie ARLC board member and newly appointed IRL member :-

*On #NRL broadcast limitations/cost overseas: 'We're not happy with it and want to change it'  

*On rep window: 'We're looking at 4 games in 5wks at end of season being part of the CBA'

Not sure of the meaning of the first one, perhaps a reference to making the game more affordable to watch in developing markets which I`ve heard can be prohibitive. The second point a lot easier to understand, a five week international window at the end of every season.