Stop holding RL events in Huddersfield, the people there aren't interested

On 04/11/2022 at 22:50, The Daddy said:

No reason for it to get locked 

Yes there is - it's your usual wind up then disappear type of post......

Fartown suffer the presence of Huddersfield Town a highly successful club in years gone by that made the town predominantly a football supporting one. Not Fartown's fault......

Baiting Giants fans is pathetic.......

• Like 1

11 hours ago, N2022 said:

Agree - you get odd games in each 'minor' sport that will throw up a big crowd but the football crowds dwarf most of the rest of it. There are 'sleeping giants' or titled former names in League One drawing over 20,000 regularly and for bigger games more like 30,000. Some former league clubs now outside the main four divisions will still pull 3,000 or 4,000.  

Every other week, National League former Football League clubs such as Chesterfield, Notts County, Oldham Athletic, Southend United and Wrexham attract way more than 4,000.

For example, Chesterfield's best league gate this season is 8,057; the worst 5,643.

Top six average National League attendances so far in 2022-23 (coincidentally, all but one in places that have or have had a professional or semi-professional rugby league club):

Wrexham 9,935; Oldham Athletic 7,307; Notts County 7,238; Chesterfield 6,677; Southend United 5,536; York City 4,915.

Edited by Hopping Mad

13 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Every other week, National League former Football League clubs such as Chesterfield, Notts County, Oldham Athletic, Southend United and Wrexham attract way more than 4,000.

For example, Chesterfield's best league gate this season is 8,057; the worst 5,643.

Top six average National League attendances so far in 2022-23 (coincidentally, all but one in places that have or have had a professional or semi-professional rugby league club):

Wrexham 9,935; Oldham Athletic 7,307; Notts County 7,238; Chesterfield 6,677; Southend United 5,536; York City 4,915.

Wow - was just guestimating figures to make a general point, but the stats you've given there make it even more obvious how deep the support for football goes. To be honest, that's quite some commitment given the standard - I have attended a few games at that level and the cost relative to the fare and facilities on offer isn't low.

• Like 2

2013 is mentioned a few times, that was England v Ireland so it attracted fans from all over.

Also, I think the ticket pricing iirc was much cheaper/relative to cost of living, for very decent seats.

Stop sitting in armchairs moaning- get yourselves to the games and enjoy having a good old moan there instead, it’s more fun meeting people than getting all in a tizzy on here.   

Any spares for OT? Any meet ups organised? 

• Like 2

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

9 hours ago, amm said:

2013 is mentioned a few times, that was England v Ireland so it attracted fans from all over.

Also, I think the ticket pricing iirc was much cheaper/relative to cost of living, for very decent seats.

Stop sitting in armchairs moaning- get yourselves to the games and enjoy having a good old moan there instead, it’s more fun meeting people than getting all in a tizzy on here.   

Any spares for OT? Any meet ups organised? 

25 quid a ticket so 100 quid for a family of 4...

Last tournament 5 quid a ticket, 20 quid for a family of 4.

Same money spent at the ground plus a great atmosphere..

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 06/11/2022 at 08:43, Hopping Mad said:

These days, football is the most popular sport just about everywhere in the UK. I don't know what else there is to say on the subject.

MUCH THE BLOODY CODES AND WE MIGHT GET A BIT MORE MONEY AND VIEWERS AND SPONSORSHIP FOR ALL THE CLUBS.

I'm sorry for saying the above (AGAIN)....I have a dream.

6 hours ago, yipyee said:

Yeah but how many away fans did Australia bring, should kick them out of the tournament, they are not an M62 team and with no travelling fans they bring nothing to the game

You obviously were not at Huddersfield on Friday…..there were plenty of Aussies in the crowd. Whether they were UK based or flew over I dont know…but I do know of one who has made it all the way from brisbane, will be at both SFs and there to see the cup returning to Australia on Saturday week.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

I am normally the first to pile in with what a woeful stadium it is and for SL it is a detriment to the product but Huddersfield stadium has a good tradition in tri and four nations of being full. Just over saturation of north this time. 

Is that stadium acceptable for SL ? No . Is it a great stadium for internationals ? Yes

It's more than acceptable for super league, it's just a problem trying to fill it.

But every other SL club would be unable to fill it too so again, not the Giants' fault.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

You obviously were not at Huddersfield on Friday…..there were plenty of Aussies in the crowd. Whether they were UK based or flew over I dont know…but I do know of one who has made it all the way from brisbane, will be at both SFs and there to see the cup returning to Australia on Saturday week.

Rubbish the away stand was empty, Lebanon brought more 😜

14 hours ago, yipyee said:

25 quid a ticket so 100 quid for a family of 4...

Last tournament 5 quid a ticket, 20 quid for a family of 4.

Same money spent at the ground plus a great atmosphere..

Last tournament here (2013) the Aussies played their quarter final at Wrexham in front of 5k, so this one was actually an improvement with much more expensive tickets.

I'm also not sure RLWC is getting any money from the beer and pie sales, I suspect those are all going to the host venue (which in Huddersfield's case means zero benefit for the Giants).

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

9 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

I guess you don't do sarcasm 

1 hour ago, Just Browny said:

Last tournament here (2013) the Aussies played their quarter final at Wrexham in front of 5k, so this one was actually an improvement with much more expensive tickets.

I'm also not sure RLWC is getting any money from the beer and pie sales, I suspect those are all going to the host venue (which in Huddersfield's case means zero benefit for the Giants).

Yeah but that must be factored into the deal to host the game, a reduced rent but get to keep all the food and drink takings.