New Zealand not coming in 2023

10 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

Why on earth should they come to England?

Do England's supporters turn out in big numbers to see them?

Does their visit make big profits for them? 

What is attractive about the visit? 

Do you expect them to come for 1 game only? 

They can play Test rugby league against teams drawn from the NRL while only travelling to NZ (or Australia) and have a choice of opposition (Samoa, Kiwis, Roos, Tonga etc...) England's strongest team also contains a nucleus of NRL guys, so surely best to play down there, no?

Then there is no point turning up for the world cup either, apart from the weather maybe.

Don't you think it might be the attitude to internationals that has produced the questions you posed and the answers you believe are so obvious.

If you look at the effects of international sport in other fields then it's simply about who cares about the game as a whole and who doesn't.

I'm tired of both the excuses made for the Aussies and the number of attempts to make it sound like their approach is even sensible.

And to be truthful when all's send and done they might as well go back to ru with attitudes like that, though if they did they'd have to play internationals and  wouldn't be able to use their dominance as a stupid reason for doing nothing.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

What role does the International RL Federation, or whatever it is now called, now have in organising or approving such matches?

A genuine question as I don't know the answer.

They're trying to build a 12 year calendar at the moment, but it starts from 2024. Last update was that it might be done by March. They'd wanted it done for January but the RLPA's hard line in collective bargaining negotiations Down Under has scuppered the timeline. Some info towards the bottom of this > 

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/albanese-backs-png-push-for-an-nrl-club-amid-support-for-a-world-cup-in-pacific-20230111-p5cbvb.html

Anything for 2023 has been and will continue to be back-of-a-fag-packet, last minute stuff from the bad old days of the RFL I'm afraid. It would be nice to have something in the autumn though, however cobbled together. 

• Thanks 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

What role does the International RL Federation, or whatever it is now called, now have in organising or approving such matches?

A genuine question as I don't know the answer.

The IRL organise world cups and other cross federation tournaments, the ERL and Asia-Pacific RL Federation etc nominally organise regional tournaments and World Cup Qualifiers, nations organise bilateral tours and matches and these are approved by the IRL.

Officially.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

The IRL organise world cups and other cross federation tournaments, the ERL and Asia-Pacific RL Federation etc nominally organise regional tournaments and World Cup Qualifiers, nations organise bilateral tours and matches and these are approved by the IRL.

Officially.

To be fair, the ERL do a pretty decent job on zero resources in organising competitions for the smaller European nations.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

53 minutes ago, Mathius Hellwege said:

Then we an make a 4N with Papua N., Lebanon and France

👍🏽 Sounds decent. Effectively  a Tier 2 comp with the English probably not using most of their NRL guys. 

A Super League based English team would be properly tested at that level. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

👍🏽 Sounds decent. Effectively  a Tier 2 comp with the English probably not using most of their NRL guys. 

A Super League based English team would be properly tested at that level. 

But they won't though will they.

• Haha 1

I said previously on this thread I think that Lebanon (and PNG) are the ideal opponents to play in a series with England and France. On any given day they could be very competitive against both nations and provide a nice level between the two. 

Add in Ireland and Wales and you've got a decent enough Autumn slate of fixtures for England and mens NH RL.

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

To be fair, the ERL do a pretty decent job on zero resources in organising competitions for the smaller European nations.

They do yes. Its a real shame their miles ahead richest and most developed member seems totally aloof.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

firstly-we need saints to give the panthers a good hiding on home soil to light the fuse of international battle 

Spot on johnny but the Aussies will make excuses if Saints win.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

firstly-we need saints to give the panthers a good hiding on home soil to light the fuse of international battle 

The result of a club friendly will make not the slightest difference to international RL.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

11 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Yep but the Panthers have never won it and if Saints play like they can they may not this time if the Aussies underestimate them.

Although sadly I've come to dislike the Aussies with a vengance ( this replaced my admiration and pride in them) I'll still give credit where it's due and say the Panthers don't strike me as a team given to underestimating anyone.

The suggestion that this in nothing but a "friendly" and of no consequence is poor poster nonsense.