London Broncos Matchday Experience in 2023

16 hours ago, NW10LDN said:

Where did I say they should be awarded Cat A? Please provide a direct quote.

You always seem to be on the defensive NW, I did not say that you implied London should be awarded a Cat A, you said your owner "is clearly banking on IMG doing all the work or just handing them a Cat A licence" my question to you as a fan of the club was are London deserving of an A status, because in my opinion if they got one a lot of clubs would/should get one as I believe they are more deserving than London.

I don't really have time today, but, for example:

"You always seem to be on the defensive NW, I did not say that you implied London should be awarded a Cat A, you said your owner "is clearly banking on IMG doing all the work or just handing them a Cat A licence" my question to you as a fan of the club was are London deserving of an A status, because in my opinion if they got one a lot of clubs would/should get one as I believe they are more deserving than London."

I think you are posing somewhat of a strawman - hence the confused emoji.

Even the most based Broncos fan is not suggesting a Cat A licence is due to them. Whatever the owner may or may not think, I have no idea, is up to him.

There does tend to be a lot of passive aggression towards London as well. For all their faults, they run an academy and produced two of the England squad, one who is off to the NRL. I find that stance somewhat confusing/boring.

Hence the thread goes from whether I might be able to buy a Biryani next season to theoretical Cat A licenses.

15 hours ago, crashmon said:

I come from north west, and some of my friends who still live up there think 30K a year is a livable wage. 30K a year around where I live you would not be able to rent a garden shed, let alone a studio flat.

With all that knowledge you have, you should realise why those on 30K a year think that the prices in London are absolutely astronomical especially if you want to compare like for like, does paying over £5/6 for a pint make it taste better than paying under £3, is the quality of the filling and pastry that much better for a pie/sausage roll so superior if you pay 2 to 3 times more for it, and while you are on about property, I regularly watch "Homes under the Hammer" and have seen some of the 'shi7 holes' that are no better or bigger than your garden shed analogy for stupid prices and when you compare some of the districts they are in you can keep it, yes things could be far better up north but in comparrison to what we see on the news programmes and the regularity of atrocities going on in the capital I would sooner be where I am.

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

With all that knowledge you have, you should realise why those on 30K a year think that the prices in London are absolutely astronomical especially if you want to compare like for like, does paying over £5/6 for a pint make it taste better than paying under £3, is the quality of the filling and pastry that much better for a pie/sausage roll so superior if you pay 2 to 3 times more for it, and while you are on about property, I regularly watch "Homes under the Hammer" and have seen some of the 'shi7 holes' that are no better or bigger than your garden shed analogy for stupid prices and when you compare some of the districts they are in you can keep it, yes things could be far better up north but in comparrison to what we see on the news programmes and the regularity of atrocities going on in the capital I would sooner be where I am.

"I would sooner be where I am." - so would we 😉

I think you will find most Broncos fans don't live in London these days. Which is the unspoken problem with RL in the capital for a domestic side, as opposed to one off games. The demographics mean you have an increasing amount of people with no knowledge or interest in the game and a base who need to travel distance to attend - which means where the ground is located puts off a large amount.

9 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Me and the missus are thinking of moving up north when kids go to uni in 10 years or so..(hopefully northern ones!) 

The cheaper housing and cost of living means we can retire probably late fifties and not mid sixties 

The RL angle is a decent part of it too as we are up there a fair bit and know the bits we like 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I love London Harry and know just about every square inch, however would i want to live there again no way happy now being out in the beautiful Kent countryside 50% of the time and 50% in Spain (Only 35 mins to the Dragons from my front door) the wife loves it and the children adore it.

Back to the Broncos some of the junior development work going on in London is amazing and without doubt it has the ability to produce many top players in the future.

As for the fan engagement they need to reach out to a whole new audience I would be going for middle professionals and make it trendy (Dulwich Hamlet FC is the prime example of how it should be done) even my non league football team have managed to increase the average gate from less than 100 to 4/500 in 2 years with great fan offerings which attracts some great people (The 10/12 who i stand with include 4 rock hard rugby league fans including the sports editor of the mail who is a Halifax fan) 

Paul

Edited by ATLANTISMAN
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

You always seem to be on the defensive NW, I did not say that you implied London should be awarded a Cat A, you said your owner "is clearly banking on IMG doing all the work or just handing them a Cat A licence" my question to you as a fan of the club was are London deserving of an A status, because in my opinion if they got one a lot of clubs would/should get one as I believe they are more deserving than London.

Nah, that's you and whenever someone mentions Leigh. He's not my owner and I'm not a fan but there you again making assumptions.

Who are these club's NW? Direct names will do not cryptic clues.

Leigh, Oldham, Rochdale, most of the Northern clubs in Champ and L1, throw in WWR as well.

8 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

The numbers just don’t make sense for London without owning or part owning a ground and that is impossible.

Even if they were in SL they would need to be spending at least 3.5 million for that to even compete on the cap because its such an overpriced location.

If there is to be growth it will have to be areas that clubs can own or part own the asset.

Love to be wrong and thought that move with a full time team could kick start them but no. 

Its not just League mind , all sports not called Football are dead there because it’s too expensive to have a home (for your club or person). 

London Irish are next. 

A decent champ one side that also produces talent for the wider game would not be the worst outcome. I don't think that RL is blessed enough to do without the London pipeline.

On 10/12/2022 at 22:23, Jughead said:

Yes, there would. There’s been threads on here over the past year or so about the improvement in matchday experience at places likes Hull KR and Wigan and if this was any other club than the Broncos, the reaction would be more positive, however, many of the negative posts are by Broncos fans, who have been burnt by the clubs decisions over the course of, well, fifty years. 

42 years

On 11/12/2022 at 09:34, ShropshireBull said:

Read the statement feels like IMG are going to be the dog who ate the homework (blamed for everything) I still cannot understand why Broncos moved at the exact moment they went part time. 

Playing on Sunday also feels wrong as all the big football games are on Sunday now so casual sports fans are watching them. 

Already feels like they missed the boat. Can see Wimbledon getting another tenant shortly . 

wasps may go to wimbledon...eventually

3 hours ago, NW10LDN said:

Nah, that's you and whenever someone mentions Leigh. He's not my owner and I'm not a fan but there you again making assumptions.

Fair enough, as an independent fan of RL (or Some other club) do you think London Bronco's should be an Catagory A team.

Edit, missed out the A bit.

Edited by Harry Stottle

2 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Me and the missus are thinking of moving up north when kids go to uni in 10 years or so..(hopefully northern ones!) 

The cheaper housing and cost of living means we can retire probably late fifties and not mid sixties 

The RL angle is a decent part of it too as we are up there a fair bit and know the bits we like 

You can buy a street in East Hull for the price of a small semi in London, get yerself to Rovers country 🤣

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

41 minutes ago, 40yearsatlondon said:

wasps may go to wimbledon...eventually

Blimey if the football fans moan about rugby ruining the pitch, imagine what the debenture holders at the All England Club would make of it 

• Haha 2

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

Firstly I was not downplaying the north in any way, I'm proud of my northern roots, but the Job I do requires me to live near heathrow (as it involves a lot of travel, and Manchester just does not have the links Heathrow has).

My point is that London broncos are based in London, not in Leigh. The street vendors have to charge x as otherwise if they charged y they would be out of business. So if your London Broncos that sort of implies your playing in London not in newcastle or leeds or manchester.

So if your playing in London, and the prices in London are 2-3 times what they are in Leigh, then you would expect to be paying more as that is where the Club is based.

So yes you 100% right on "and have seen some of the 'shi7 holes' that are no better or bigger than your garden shed analogy for stupid prices and when you compare some of the districts they are in you can keep it"

but my point is that fans from the north coming down to watch their clubs in London need to expect that they are paying these prices, as that is the going rate for London. Like the fans going to Qatar paying 185GBP a night for a shoebox.

Trust me if you was a city fan and travelled to see your club play Chelsea, the food prices would be higher than what you see for Broncos

This is also why having national pay scales makes no sense. A nurse in Leigh could live on 30K a year, have a holiday in Europe every year, have a car, sky tv and a good standard of living however a nurse in London needs 50K just to be able to eat, heat and get to work with a very basic standard of living

Edited by crashmon

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Also Harry, I'm a farnworth lad, and trust me Bolton / Farnworth are shiteholes now. I went up about 3 years ago, and everything I remembered as a child had gone.  Farnworth high street was just vape shops, the market which was vibrant was gone, I worked at Farnworth Asda all through the late 80's and that had completely changed.

Bolton was the same complete dump, sweetens bookshop gone, boydells gone, crompton place was a shadow of itself, the market hall was no longer a market hall but had loads of mainstreet shops all empty, bank street was a bomb site, water place gone, market all changed, white horse hotel gone, college was gone (used to be on manny road).

I admit that this is just Bolton / Farnworth, and that there are other places in the north which I would love to move back to, but it would not be anywhere near Bolton, which is a shame, as I have many happy memories of the place in the 70's / 80's

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crashmon said:

This is also why having national pay scales makes no sense. A nurse in Leigh could live on 30K a year, have a holiday in Europe every year, have a car, sky tv and a good standard of living however a nurse in London needs 50K just to be able to eat, heat and get to work with a very basic standard of living

I've always argued Broncos needed a bigger salary cap dispensation ...not that we hit the max last time I don't think 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Nice one and I hope you are able to move up North. Although I'm not sure about the cheaper cost of living aspects if too many do the same.

We have a large numbers of people moving up from London to our town over the years. Unfortunately its inpacted the price of many things including houses for our youngsters. Plus changed some of the dynamic of people, as you can often identify those fortunate to do so - especially those able to buy small holding or farms on the back of their London sale..

I guess its been of benefit to my wife and I in that our house prices have zoomed over and above the general market.

Noting another comment from someone... I also benefited by working in London but living up here and hence being paid London rates. I think a quite common occurrence in some industries and depending upon nature/flexibility of job. 

Edited by redjonn
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Nice one and I hope you are able to move up North. Although I'm not sure about the cheaper cost of living aspects if too many do the same.

We have a large numbers of people moving up from London to our town over the years. Unfortunately its inpacted the price of many things including houses for our youngsters. Plus changed some of the dynamic of people, as you can often identify those fortunate to do so - especially those able to buy small holding or farms on the back of their London sale..

I guess its been of benefit to my wife and I in that our house prices have zoomed over and above the general market.

Noting another comment from someone... I also benefited by working in London but living up here and hence being paid London rates. I think a quite common occurrence in some industries and depending upon nature/flexibility of job. 

Increasingly so these days with WFH. I get London pay, live in Kent and go in once a week, if I can be bothered.

Although that will be eased out. If people can WFH in a job you will find new hires getting paid more the rates akin to where they live. Obviously you can't do that with existing staff on contracts.

2 hours ago, Leonard said:

Increasingly so these days with WFH. I get London pay, live in Kent and go in once a week, if I can be bothered.

Although that will be eased out. If people can WFH in a job you will find new hires getting paid more the rates akin to where they live. Obviously you can't do that with existing staff on contracts.

Yea, the reason we stay where we are is both my parents are eldery and live near us(they moved down with me 22 years ago, as they could not get a Job in Bolton both being over 50 at the time, within 3 weeks of being down with us they both had jobs). 

As both now have health problems we can't really move even though we have 1) paid off mortgage and 2) no longer need to live near heathrow as travel is no longer needed for my job post covid.

Although its unlikely we will move all the way north when my parents pass, its more likely it will be cotswalds somewhere as my wife has her heart set on that

Edited by crashmon

6 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

The numbers just don’t make sense for London without owning or part owning a ground and that is impossible.

Even if they were in SL they would need to be spending at least 3.5 million for that to even compete on the cap because its such an overpriced location.

If there is to be growth it will have to be areas that clubs can own or part 

London Irish are next. 

As my name would point to, I have a bit of knoedge about London Irish. 

During shamateurism, they were always one of the wealthiest clubs in Britain. Whilst professionalism has been cruel to them, they're safe from Reading and back nearer home. They're 40 million in debt is more than covered by their assets and they're in the process of changing hands for no money, as Crossan, like many owners before him, has done what he did for love of the game/club. Fortunately for them, the exiles cam fall back on a huge dispora as well as wealthy supporters back home in Ireland and they're never short of people willing to invest. 

I believe the figure offered a few years back (2013?) Was £80,000,000 for their training grounds...the amateur club are the guardians and they will never sell it.

So yes. The exiles are in debt [as are most sports clubs], but there's is manageable and in no danger of being called in. The tax man isn't owed anything.

As for London Broncos. It would b3 fair to estimate that their debt to Hughes must now be closer to £30,000,000. Alas, they've nowt more than a name and a website to show for it.

13 hours ago, Ivarr the Boneless said:

There are rumours flying around London that Chelsea feel their women's team has outgrown their current small stadium and fancy a groundshare at AFC Wimbledon.

It's public knowledge both Dons and Broncos hold break clauses in the rental agreement, though it's not known if they are for set points, at x weeks notice etc.

Watch this space as they say 

If that means a ground swap for Chelsea Ladies and the Broncos, then I might actually turn up at the right stadium next year 😃

On 09/12/2022 at 19:16, Anita Bath said:

“Goodbye to the pie”

Could only happen darn sarth

How on earth do we ever hope of challenging the Aussies if we get rid of the pie. Its what made them great.

If this is what lies at the heart of IMGs proposals then its a no from me.

I hope RL fans everywhere use their right of repie …lets stop this nonsense before it spreads to the midlands.

Won't they be sellin' owt moist?

• Haha 1