Hurricanes new ground

2 hours ago, Joe Aitcheson said:

We do Irish, but we shouldn’t. We should raise merry hell at each and every perceived slight.

Please forgive my suspicion, if you're being sincere here, but I'm slightly concerned you are being sarcastic.

Please clarify your intentions here?

Do you believe I'm some kind of anti-union nutjob who revels in shouting anti-union spin at every opportunity and attempting to provoke me into an ''amusing'' outburst?

My comment was a heartfelt expression of my frustration, whenever I hear stories of Union clubs ''hosting'' Rugby League games (in order to help their cash flow through the Summer months) and that being interpreted as some kind of softening of attitudes towards our game amongst the Rugby Union hierarchy.

In truth, they fear our game more than ever and will do anything they can to impede our progress and development.

I'll eat my hat, if any RaRa club ''hosts'' a rugby league match without receiving a finger-wagging letter from the powers that be.

I know it happens, because it happened to me and it was only the existence of a whistleblower (who couldn't stomach their hypocracy) that made me aware of it.

Does anyone (in our community) really believe they would welcome (and support) the development of our game, their biggest and most terrifying rival for the public's consciousness? Really?

Any real development in such a scenario, any signs of burgeoning popularity in the locality will become hampered by greater and greater and more varied stumbling blocks until the club (if sufficiently motivated and talented) have to find alternative accommodation.

Far more likely, the club will fold.

Let me sum up. If anyone out there is thinking of setting up a Rugby League club, don't turn to them for succour, (it's a myth, a deception, it does not exist) any illusion of tolerance is merely an attempt to achieve control. 

I would advise you to ''do it yourself'', independent of any involvement with RaRa. It might be harder at the beginning but your growth will be uninhibited and you will truly mature in far less time.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Griff said:

Rugby League - the Prince Harry of sport.

No, thanks.

I agree with you, raising merry hell, (under the circumstances) is not a sensible use of ones energies.

Please read my response to Griff's post, just above this one, which goes some way to explaining what I meant when I wrote my first post in this short series.

On 06/01/2023 at 16:10, thebrewxi said:

Although for the first year it will the warm up pitch, I am optimistically thinking that 2024 will be the main stadium, which will be a fantastic venue for League 1! However, as mentioned above, the area is without much character with poor public transport links - it's always been that way; even when we went to see the AAAs when I was a kid we drove. However off the M42 where they've been this year train links were even worse.

For me however, from where I'm based, a 15min drive last season turns into a 45 min drive this. Bearing in mind I am a "local" supporter, walking to and from stations and getting the trains would be 2 hours each way. On a Sunday I can do Halliwell Jones in 3!

So, to be fair, it makes the travel down the M6 a lot nearer for most away fans which is really good. Although 2022 was fun, I might find attending as many home games a bit trickier this coming season. I hope they do move up to the main park in 2024, as that will be far too tempting to stay away for!

Turns my hour and 5 mins into 1 hour 30 but think I'll go to some games 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

Please forgive my suspicion, if you're being sincere here, but I'm slightly concerned you are being sarcastic.

Do you believe I'm some kind of anti-union nutjob who revels in shouting anti-union spin at every opportunity and attempting to provoke me into an ''amusing'' outburst?

My comment was a heartfelt expression of my frustration, whenever I hear stories of Union clubs ''hosting'' Rugby League games (in order to help their cash flow through the Summer months) and that being interpreted as some kind of softening of attitudes towards our game amongst the Rugby Union hierarchy.

In truth, they fear our game more than ever and will do anything they can to impede our progress and development.

I'll eat my hat, if any RaRa club ''hosts'' a rugby league match without receiving a finger-wagging letter from the powers that be.

I know it happens, because it happened to me and it was only the existence of a whistleblower (who couldn't stomach their hypocracy) that made me aware of it.

Does anyone (in our community) really believe they would welcome (and support) the development of our game, their biggest and most terrifying rival for the public's consciousness? Really?

Any real development in such a scenario, any signs of burgeoning popularity in the locality will become hampered by greater and greater and more varied stumbling blocks until the club (if sufficiently motivated and talented) have to find alternative accommodation.

Let me sum up. If anyone out there is thinking of setting up a Rugby League club, don't turn to them for succour, (it's a myth, a deception, it does not exist) any illusion of tolerance is merely an attempt to achieve control. 

I would advise you to ''do it yourself'', independent of any involvement with RaRa. It might be harder at the beginning but your growth will be uninhibited and you will truly mature in far less time.

You don’t know me so I’ll forgive your cynicism, but I’ve had 2 life bans from rugger union, first from daring to play rugger union over the age of 18 at uni in 1972 after enduring rugger at a grammar school…and secondly for becoming a director of my local pro RL club in 1982. Both times the rugger union had to rescind the bans, firstly to continue receiving Sports council grants in the mid 80s and secondly in 1995 when they stopped being shamateur and went openly professional. But I’ve never received an apology from “ twickers” so still consider myself banned, my proudest achievement in sport. So I’ve earned my views.

• Like 6

Just now, Joe Aitcheson said:

You don’t know me so I’ll forgive your cynicism, but I’ve had 2 life bans from rugger union, first from daring to play rugger union over the age of 18 at uni in 1972 after enduring rugger at a grammar school…and secondly for becoming a director of my local pro RL club in 1982. Both times the rugger union had to rescind the bans, firstly to continue receiving Sports council grants in the mid 80s and secondly in 1995 when they stopped being shamateur and went openly professional. But I’ve never received an apology from “ twickers” so still consider myself banned, my proudest achievement in sport. So I’ve earned my views.

Sorry, I dated to play rugby league at uni, not the dark side

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bearman said:

They didnt leave. They were driven out of Coventry.

A combination of a greedy ru club and an apethic council.

Birmingham Council have done more in 12 months than Coventry did in 24 years.

Also the lack of any coverage from the main local newspaper which obviously favoured the established union clubs.

Happily though, I am told the Hurricanes stadium move has been included in this morning's Midlands TV news. Didn't see it myself but, however small, it has to be a good thing. 

• Like 6

15 hours ago, fighting irish said:

Sorry to not being party to the belief that there is some  great RU ,anti -RL conspiracy, but the Hurricanes and Birmingham Solihull Bees RU managed pretty well last season at rubbing along together ...(and they aren't the only ones I could name )

The warm welcome we received from everyone at the RU club was tremendous and although looking forward to our new home , it's going to be strange and a little sad not seeing the familiar friendly faces at Portway .

The antagonism may be real at some higher levels but at grass roots you tend to find that people just want to play watch and appreciate rugby of either code ...

Edited by Rach
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, Rach said:

Sorry to not being party to the belief that there is some  great RU ,anti -RL conspiracy, but the Hurricanes and Birmingham Solihull Bees RU managed pretty well last season at rubbing along together ...(and they aren't the only ones I could name )

The warm welcome we received from everyone at the RU club was tremendous and although looking forward to our new home , it's going to be strange and a little sad not seeing the familiar friendly faces at Portway .

The antagonism may be real at some higher levels but at grass roots you tend to find that people just want to play watch and appreciate rugby of either code ...

On balance I have to agree with you Rach.

Portway for the Hurricanes  for the Bears Old Coventrians, Barkers Butts and Bedworth ru clubs were generally welcoming.

But there were usually one or two members at those clubs that showed their dislike.

Coventry RU were instrumental in getting the Bears up and running with Keith Fairbrother and Ian Carvel being especially helpful. It was when the " Old Guard" that took over the club that their true colours emerged.

• Like 4

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

2 hours ago, Bearman said:

On balance I have to agree with you Rach.

Portway for the Hurricanes  for the Bears Old Coventrians, Barkers Butts and Bedworth ru clubs were generally welcoming.

But there were usually one or two members at those clubs that showed their dislike.

Coventry RU were instrumental in getting the Bears up and running with Keith Fairbrother and Ian Carvel being especially helpful. It was when the " Old Guard" that took over the club that their true colours emerged.

That's the point ' Irish ' was making , they'll only let you go so far as that helps them financially , but once you cross a certain level , other people come into play and their influence is far more important than a few grand over the bar 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

That's the point ' Irish ' was making , they'll only let you go so far as that helps them financially , but once you cross a certain level , other people come into play and their influence is far more important than a few grand over the bar 

I am with you on that. Our community RL club was approached a couple of years ago by two different local RU clubs to up sticks and go and play at their ground instead. When we briefly explored this, it was clear that there was two main motives: 1. to improve playing numbers at the RU clubs, both of whom were struggling and 2. to put some money over the bar, as covid had crippled their main income streams. Meanwhile, one of those clubs officials had also been in touch to ask us not to send flyers out to potential young players in their area as they play union and members of the club planted slurs on our social media adverts about the sport of RL. They weren't even trying to hide their motives and distain, despite other members of the club trying to build links.

Edited by Northern Eel
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Rach said:

I agree with you.