What constitutes being a supporter of a club ?

33 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes but your ' support base ' is your ' supporters ' 😁😉

Yes. Lots and lots of lovely supporters of all kinds.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Yes. Lots and lots of lovely supporters of all kinds.

The term ' support base ' is used to represent the number of people who turn up to watch the home team , or the potential numbers 

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

The term ' support base ' is used to represent the number of people who turn up to watch the home team , or the potential numbers 

... by you.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

How close to 100% of your disposable income you're willing to part with on your side's behalf.

• Haha 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

6 minutes ago, Oxford said:

How close to 100% of your disposable income you're willing to part with on your side's behalf.

Or just how much animal print you are willing to wear ? 😂

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Or just how much animal print you are willing to wear ? 😂

I'd spend a few Charley the Thirds on that if it helped my club or maybe I should say it as MY CLUB!

Edited by Oxford

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

11 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I will remind you of it every time the phrase is used 😉

The phrase 'support base'?

Okay. You do you.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, dkw said:

The "spends money" thing is just plain wrong. Or do you think the more money you spend the bigger supporter? I know of people who spend a hell of a lot more than me sponsoring stuff, but it's only so he can take people to games, he barely even watches the matches, has no idea who any players are. So now he's a bigger supporter than other lads who go to even game, home and away?

Clubs need financial support to exist. Supporters provide that no matter how small the contribution. 

Fans (fanatics), as none contributing directly to support the club financially are equally as important, they may turn into (financial) supporters, they spread the word and encourage more fans (potential financial supporters). Fanatics tend to be very vocal and very promoting of their club. Some people who fall in the supporter bracket are also fanatical about their club.

One is no more or less a devotee of the club, but they're doing things in different ways.

Edited by Padge
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Which would obviously include a huge number of people, including those that have never been to a game in the flesh themselves.

6 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

In the 1980’s we used to joke that the only way Leeds would get into Europe is by going on an 18-30 holiday to Benidorm and playing a Benidorm Hotel Waiters All Star XI.

I have just reread my post to which you refer.  It probably wasn’t clear but it was referring to my brother and some mates that followed Leeds across Europe in the late 90’s and early 2000’s.  Not me.  

Haha don't worry I'm fully aware Leeds had a decent team back in the early 2000's and got to the CL semi's one year. I just can't resist any opportunity to have a dig at our good friends from the wrong side of the Pennines.😘😂

Today was an excellent round ball day btw.👍

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, daz39 said:

Supporters don't call for coaches to be sacked, players to be 'got rid of' etc so anyone who doesn't do that is a supporter of their club.

This is where the whole issue of labelling someone a supporter or not becomes a matter of personal opinion.

According to some on this thread a ‘supporter’ is someone who attends most if not all games.   Therefore the logical conclusion is that many of the people inside Goodison Park today chanting for the Board to go are ‘supporters’ as they attend most if not all games.

54 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

This is where the whole issue of labelling someone a supporter or not becomes a matter of personal opinion.

According to some on this thread a ‘supporter’ is someone who attends most if not all games.   Therefore the logical conclusion is that many of the people inside Goodison Park today chanting for the Board to go are ‘supporters’ as they attend most if not all games.

Yes they are , but that doesn't mean what they are doing is right or constructive, they'd argue as we sometimes see on the terraces and stands at RL games that " I've paid my money , that gives me the right to behave like a dick " 

Yes they are , but that doesn't mean what they are doing is right or constructive, they'd argue as we sometimes see on the terraces and stands at RL games that " I've paid my money , that gives me the right to behave like a dick " 

Does wanting rid of owners destroying your club categorise you as a "dick" these days Gubby? I'm sure the fans of Oldham Athletic, Manchester United, Everton (& many others) would disagree with you. 

I care not a jot about the protests at Goodison Park.

The point that I am trying to make is that some posters - like you - would categorise the people protesting as ‘supporters’ as you define a ‘supporter’ as someone that attends most games therefore putting money into the club.  Fair enough that is your individual view.

However, daz39 would not term them ‘supporters’ as he does not believe that ‘supporters’ should act in such a manner.  Fair enough that is his individual view.

Therefore both of you can legitimately argue that you are right.  And that is my point …. any type of categorisation is down to the individual.

2 hours ago, SalfordSlim said:

Does wanting rid of owners destroying your club categorise you as a "dick" these days Gubby? I'm sure the fans of Oldham Athletic, Manchester United, Everton (& many others) would disagree with you. 

Yes, supporting the club does not mean you have to support the board, or even support the manager/coach. Genuine supporters are in it for the long haul, not for the length of a contract or until the next offer from another club comes along.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SalfordSlim said:

When it gets to the point where the police are advising them not to attend because of security fears it's gone too far IMO , yes a pro sports club is the sum of its fans , and we now are seeing some owners specifically using the business as a cash cow , but ultimately there are winners and losers in equal numbers in sport 

It is just a game , Mr Shankly was wrong in his statement all those years ago , it isn't more important than life or death 

13 hours ago, daz39 said:

Supporters don't call for coaches to be sacked, players to be 'got rid of' etc so anyone who doesn't do that is a supporter of their club.

I'm afraid they do. Managers/players come and go but the club goes on regardless. Most supporters, particularly of smaller clubs (like myself), stick with their team through thick and thin (or in my case thin and thinner). They pay their money and every right to 'comment' on the teams/players performance. I don't do that myself as I think it is counter-productive.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, hw88 said:

I'm afraid they do. Managers/players come and go but the club goes on regardless. Most supporters, particularly of smaller clubs (like myself), stick with their team through thick and thin (or in my case thin and thinner). They pay their money and every right to 'comment' on the teams/players performance. I don't do that myself as I think it is counter-productive.

Agree completely 

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I will be there physically 'ATTENDING' and financially 'SUPPORTING' the club that I term as mine, but as being willing to wear 'that shirt' - no thanks.

They have some nice teal and black ' print ' scarves Harry , keep your neck warm 👍

10 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

I care not a jot about the protests at Goodison Park.

The point that I am trying to make is that some posters - like you - would categorise the people protesting as ‘supporters’ as you define a ‘supporter’ as someone that attends most games therefore putting money into the club.  Fair enough that is your individual view.

However, daz39 would not term them ‘supporters’ as he does not believe that ‘supporters’ should act in such a manner.  Fair enough that is his individual view.

Therefore both of you can legitimately argue that you are right.  And that is my point …. any type of categorisation is down to the individual.

Sorry, i should have made it clear that my comment was a veiled dig at some of my clubs 'supporters' and not a generalisation.