Man of Steel Voting

I know that the Man of Steel voting system has only recently changed and we're always moaning about things changing but I do think the current system is flawed.

- It favours players for who play for teams that are reliant on them (i.e. one man teams).

- It gives the same amount of points regardless of the team you are playing. You get 3 points for being the standout player against Wigan and against Wakefield)

- It is judged differently for every game based on which panel member is evaluating the game, meaning sending a different panel member to each game could result in a completely different result.

-Former players on the panel and the lack of transparency on which panel member was judging the game, opens up the problem of potential bias.

Solution: The end of season vote was a good idea. Giving that vote to the players was what was wrong. A 3-2-1 point system at the end of the season given to; the head coach, the captain and a media representative (local paper) for each club. Obviously teams wouldn't be allowed to vote for there own players.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

The MOM and therefore the MOS voting all went to pot because Stevo just constantly gave it to one of the hookers , it's like kids teams having top tackler , unsurprisingly it was almost always a player in the middle who would win it , the hooker touches the ball more than anybody else , therefore can appear to have the most influence 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

The MOM and therefore the MOS voting all went to pot because Stevo just constantly gave it to one of the hookers , it's like kids teams having top tackler , unsurprisingly it was almost always a player in the middle who would win it , the hooker touches the ball more than anybody else , therefore can appear to have the most influence 

To be honest, I don't think any system is likely to produce too many props as MOS. Its unfortunate but the fact is, it just isn't a box office position most of the time.

3 hours ago, sam4731 said:

- It favours players for who play for teams that are reliant on them (i.e. one man teams).

Isn't a team being disproportionately dependent on a player a good indicator that they are a good MoS candidate?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I don’t like the current system and quite liked the old system but it was left open to “abuse”, which it was abused by the players. I know there was anger about players voting for their mates or just picking anyone (I’m sure Danny Addy got a vote one year despite missing the whole year through injury) but I don’t think it ever really made the award a mockery by who won it, as it was usually a deserving winner. 

I don’t like the current system because we tend to see a sympathy point handed out to a player on the losing side, regardless of the margin of defeat. There’s been some relative blowouts in the past that have seen a point handed out when you could have made a case for 5-6 of the winning teams squad for their contribution. That said, it’s not really caused for any controversy. 

There’s not really an ideal way of doing it.

1 hour ago, sam4731 said:

Saints, which is probably a common complaint amongst our fans given hhat we don't seem to win it often.

Yup as I thought. It's usually Wigan or Saints fans complaining because "players from sh*t teams have an advantage because they only have one or 2 good players that get all the votes". I mean it's disgraceful that in the last 45 years Wigan & Saints have only won it 20 times between themselves.😫

God forbid you lot ever have to watch a sh*t team week in week out... you'd really have something to moan about.😂

• Like 1

Any voting system based purely on 'opinion' is always going to cause controversy. Personally i'd have a 'Dual' system where MOS points are allocated on an 'opinion voting' as we have now and also on a 'performance measured' system, a bit like the VB hard earned index they have in the NRL. So your overall MOS score is based on 50% opinion voting and 50% measurable performance.

That way players who aren't necessarily the commentators 'favourites' wont always win MOS, players who consistently make large numbers of tackles, tackle busts, Hit-ups, offloads etc. will pick up MOS points week after week.

• Like 1

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions