Balkan super league

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

Serbia, Montenegro and Bulgaria are Slavic. 

True. I was more thinking Czech, Poland, Hungary and Slovakia (not sure if there is any activity in Slovakia yet).

20 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

True. I was more thinking Czech, Poland, Hungary and Slovakia (not sure if there is any activity in Slovakia yet).

I'm loath to continue the off topic detour, but Hungarians aren't Slavs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

Hungary isn’t Slavic, to be needlessly pedantic. 

Edit - just seen Barley Mow’s reply. 

Edited by Eddie

41 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Anyone know what happened to Euro XIIIs? Which I confess I did get sucked in by. 

Wasn’t there one after that. Franchise League XIII or something?

Same guy also withdrew Bath (?) from the RFL at some point too.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

And stated Valencia’s intention to go into League One. Though tbf they did have a friendly against Fev which is more than anyone might have realistically expected, unless I dreamed it. 

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

And stated Valencia’s intention to go into League One. Though tbf they did have a friendly against Fev which is more than anyone might have realistically expected, unless I dreamed it. 

They did but, from those in the know/who were there, it went ahead because Fev loaned players to ensure it did?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

They did but, from those in the know/who were there, it went ahead because Fev loaned players to ensure it did?

So it was Fev v Fev in Valencia? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Eddie said:

So it was Fev v Fev in Valencia? 

I think someone like @marklaspalmas could give a better answer.

7 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Franchise Rugby League, a 4 club competition with Bath, Bristol, Valencia and Alicante.

Due to start sometime last autumn but it never happened.

I believe all 4 non-existent sides, and the comp, were owned by Dean Buchan.

15 hours ago, Eddie said:

Anyone know what happened to Euro XIIIs? Which I confess I did get sucked in by. 

Dean Buchan.

All talk no action.

Pure fantasy, convinced clubs all over Europe they were part of a fully-funded European adventure. 

He organised drafts in Brisbane, Birmingham and other big cities. Not one went ahead however I know somebody who registered for Birmingham and he told me:

”I’m a bit confused, what if I get drafted to the club in Moldova when there’s already one in Brum where I live and work already. You can’t tell me they’ll make me fully pro so I can train and play there.”

24 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

Dean Buchan.

All talk no action.

Pure fantasy, convinced clubs all over Europe they were part of a fully-funded European adventure. 

He organised drafts in Brisbane, Birmingham and other big cities. Not one went ahead however I know somebody who registered for Birmingham and he told me:

”I’m a bit confused, what if I get drafted to the club in Moldova when there’s already one in Brum where I live and work already. You can’t tell me they’ll make me fully pro so I can train and play there.”

Nothing about it made any sense, nor had any substance behind it. 

11 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I think someone like @marklaspalmas could give a better answer.

VALENCIA HURACANES 14-102 ROVERS

Featherstone Rovers capped off a historic trip to Spain with a convincing 102-14 victory over Valencia Huracanes at the Estadio de Rugby. Hat-tricks from Jake Sweeting, Sam Ottewell, Gareth Gale and Ben Blackmore were more than enough for Rovers, who beat Valencia in their first ever match. Louis Jouffret bagged himself two tries, whilst Nathan Wright, Brandon French, Dean Parata, Luke Cooper and Jack Richardson were also on the scoresheet. Huracanes scored their first ever try when Connor Aspey, who was loaned to the Club from Salford Red Devils for this fixture, latched onto his own kick to score. The highlight of the first half for Rovers was Gale’s hat-trick, the second rower scored an impressive three tries in the opening 30 minutes.

Half-time: Valencia Huracanes 4-42 Featherstone Rovers

Valencia came out after half-time superbly, Miguel Tomas Enriqe became the first domestic player to score for the newly formed Club in the opening moments of the second period, which was greeted with cheers from both sets of fans. Blackmore continued his impressive pre-season by putting on a show after the break. The 26-year-old scored a hat-trick in the second half and showed his kicking game by scoring some goals. Sweeting and Ottewell also secured their hat-tricks in the second half. Sweeting scored the opening try of the afternoon, whilst Ottewell grabbed Rovers’ second. Once again both sets of fans cheered when Antoni Martinez Besch got himself on the scoresheet for Valencia late on and Erick Leon was on hand to add the two-points for Valencia. Despite the score-line, it has been a productive experience for Huracanes, who will be looking to continue in their growth after competing in their first ever match. Everyone at Featherstone Rovers thanks the Club for inviting us to take part in this historic fixture and we wish them all the best going forward.

Full-time: Valencia Huracanes 14-102 Featherstone Rovers

Valencia tries: Aspey, Besch, Enriqe

Featherstone tries: Sweeting 3, Ottewell 3, Gale 3, Jouffret 2, N Wright, Blackmore 3, French, Parata, Cooper, Richardson

Valencia Huracanes: Roberts, Leon, A Diaz, Garcia, Sanchis, Serranno, Enriqe, R Diaz, Aspey, Munoz, Aparicio, Marquez, Bardsley, Bartual, Besch, Frigola

Feathersone Rovers: Ottewell, N Wright, Richardson, French, Gale, Sweeting, Jouffret, Lockwood, Bussey, Cooper, B Wright, Hardcastle, Albert, Harrison, Blackmore, Susino, Parata

Attendance: 586

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

FWIW Valencia's team was bolstered by three Salford Academy loans. The game was played at an athletics stadium about 20km down the coast from Valencia. It was all very real though.

Where's he gone? Dean Buchan I mean? Has he raised his head above the parapet since? 

36 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

VALENCIA HURACANES 14-102 ROVERS

Featherstone Rovers capped off a historic trip to Spain with a convincing 102-14 victory over Valencia Huracanes at the Estadio de Rugby. Hat-tricks from Jake Sweeting, Sam Ottewell, Gareth Gale and Ben Blackmore were more than enough for Rovers, who beat Valencia in their first ever match. Louis Jouffret bagged himself two tries, whilst Nathan Wright, Brandon French, Dean Parata, Luke Cooper and Jack Richardson were also on the scoresheet. Huracanes scored their first ever try when Connor Aspey, who was loaned to the Club from Salford Red Devils for this fixture, latched onto his own kick to score. The highlight of the first half for Rovers was Gale’s hat-trick, the second rower scored an impressive three tries in the opening 30 minutes.

Half-time: Valencia Huracanes 4-42 Featherstone Rovers

Valencia came out after half-time superbly, Miguel Tomas Enriqe became the first domestic player to score for the newly formed Club in the opening moments of the second period, which was greeted with cheers from both sets of fans. Blackmore continued his impressive pre-season by putting on a show after the break. The 26-year-old scored a hat-trick in the second half and showed his kicking game by scoring some goals. Sweeting and Ottewell also secured their hat-tricks in the second half. Sweeting scored the opening try of the afternoon, whilst Ottewell grabbed Rovers’ second. Once again both sets of fans cheered when Antoni Martinez Besch got himself on the scoresheet for Valencia late on and Erick Leon was on hand to add the two-points for Valencia. Despite the score-line, it has been a productive experience for Huracanes, who will be looking to continue in their growth after competing in their first ever match. Everyone at Featherstone Rovers thanks the Club for inviting us to take part in this historic fixture and we wish them all the best going forward.

Full-time: Valencia Huracanes 14-102 Featherstone Rovers

Valencia tries: Aspey, Besch, Enriqe

Featherstone tries: Sweeting 3, Ottewell 3, Gale 3, Jouffret 2, N Wright, Blackmore 3, French, Parata, Cooper, Richardson

Valencia Huracanes: Roberts, Leon, A Diaz, Garcia, Sanchis, Serranno, Enriqe, R Diaz, Aspey, Munoz, Aparicio, Marquez, Bardsley, Bartual, Besch, Frigola

Feathersone Rovers: Ottewell, N Wright, Richardson, French, Gale, Sweeting, Jouffret, Lockwood, Bussey, Cooper, B Wright, Hardcastle, Albert, Harrison, Blackmore, Susino, Parata

Attendance: 586

586 is a decent crowd tbf.