Corey Horsburgh Dubbed “Weak Gutted Dog”

In a reference to Ricky Stewart’s quip last year about Jaeman Salmon at the Panthers, Royce Hunt has called out Corey Horsburgh and has said he has bookmarked the final regular season game for the Sharks against Canberra where the team will “bash him”.

I love this type of fighting talk. Real drama and opinions and a publicly declared dislike for an individual opponent. 

https://www.theroar.com.au/2023/03/22/nrl-news-hes-a-weak-gutted-dog-shark-attacks-raider-over-low-act-souths-to-wear-special-sattler-logo/

• Haha 1

Reading this I was a bit worried it was not a good look

However watching Hunt in person  he says a lot of it with a wry smile....and in my opinion in a tough but funny way 

I'm all for it....this sort of stuff sells well in other combat sports...why not ours 

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Reading this I was a bit worried it was not a good look

However watching Hunt in person  he says a lot of it with a wry smile....and in my opinion in a tough but funny way 

I'm all for it....this sort of stuff sells well in other combat sports...why not ours 

State of Origin rivalry swiftly reached legend status based off a publicly declared dislike for the opposition. It has never looked back.

If SL wants headlines and added drama and interest, let’s give individuals some airtime to declare their dislike for each other.

I would be even more impressed to hear a few poms give the media some ammunition for their next match/series against the Kangaroos (whenever that is).

5 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I would be even more impressed to hear a few poms give the media some ammunition for their next match/series against the Kangaroos (whenever that is).

I said at the time, Jack Welsby or Lewis Dodd should have been tasked with sledging the Australians, Samoans and Tongans all at once after the WCC by IMG. 

One of my favourite GB v Aus moments was that whole build up to the test and atmosphere of the game after Leon Pryce had compared Bondi to Blackpool. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

You probably can't do that, and promote mental health awareness at the same time.

It's eye rolling stuff most of the time anyway for most people.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Boxing has gone through the roof in popularity and money. I suspect a lot of it is in the marketing, build up and fake animosity generated ....don't think that can be ignored 

Boxing is a lot less popular now than when I was growing up (that would be the 1980s) aside from a few, really only a few, big deal fights. It hardly registers at all on the mainstream.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

16 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Boxing has gone through the roof in popularity and money. I suspect a lot of it is in the marketing, build up and fake animosity generated ....don't think that can be ignored 

Which makes Tyson Fury a massive hypocrite that no-one making money off him ever mentions.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Which makes Tyson Fury a massive hypocrite that no-one making money off him ever mentions.

Yep....I'm not saying I even like it myself ( I don't really like boxing)...but we do want to attract as bigger field of people as we can 

Maybe some of the sort of people who shell out for expensive PPV or tickets for boxing might be enticed by some trash talking build up 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Yep....I'm not saying I even like it myself ( I don't really like boxing)...but we do want to attract as bigger field of people as we can 

Maybe some of the sort of people who shell out for expensive PPV or tickets for boxing might be enticed by some trash talking build up

The Super League seem happy for people to swear on their official podcast, maybe get players on to do that rather than those who've retired and CEOs.

Boxing’s “I hate him”, “I’m going to smash his head in” schtick is insufferable and actually puts me off the sport altogether. I don’t think we need that in Rugby League. The closest we got was Shaun Wane’s “I hate St Helens” craic that just seemed to swell the idiots from both sides into a rage and lead to some embarrassing things going on in away ends.

I think there is a place for talking up rivalries and building upon the traditions and history of those games but I don’t really see any point in, say, a Saints player talking about disliking or wanting to humiliate, say, Wakefield or Salford. It just feels forced and fake, just like boxing. I don’t really need to read or listen to Lewis Dodd saying that because I’d hope that there was enough motivation within the team for that anyway. 

Even players talking themselves up rarely does much other than cause embarrassment. Didn’t Zak Hardaker claim he was the best fullback or centre in the league a couple of years ago? That just managed to make him look just that little bit sillier than he normally does. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

State of Origin rivalry swiftly reached legend status based off a publicly declared dislike for the opposition. It has never looked back.

If SL wants headlines and added drama and interest, let’s give individuals some airtime to declare their dislike for each other.

I'd love to do that but being of advanced years I very much doubt I'll be around by the time the Oz gang decide to play another international.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Mongrel they seem to really like.....weirdly it's sometimes an insult and sometimes a compliment 

Strange people 

Dog act as well . They seem to have a dog obsession in the NRL … 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Boxing is dead in terms of public perception/awareness - outside of the occasional superfights and big events.

15 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Boxing is dead in terms of public perception/awareness - outside of the occasional superfights and big events.

I don’t watch myself any more but I don’t agree with your comment. It gets strong media coverage and big numbers watching, and massive prize money which wouldn’t happen if it was dead. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Wow, I’ve listened to that a number of  times (enjoy listening to Will Perry and Mark Flanagan, Jon Wilkin less so these days) but I had no idea it’s Super League’s official podcast. Quite inappropriate if so. 

Swearing because they think it's makes them look hard. 🤣