Sat 13th May: SL: St Helens v Salford Red Devils KO 13:00 (C4)

Who will win?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens
    • Salford Red Devils

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/05/23 at 12:30

56 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

Expensive injuries, Shane Wright suspected broken ankle

Is that from Rowley? Would take it with a pinch of salt, every week he talks about someone being out for 4 or 5 weeks only for them to rock up in the next 17 absolutely fine.

4 hours ago, Jughead said:

Atkin changes direction knowing exactly what he’s doing. Sironen runs into him. It’s literally that simple. 

Just watching it back after missing it live and Atkins clearly checks over his shoulder, spots Sironen and changes direction to get in front of him. Sironen well within his rights to hold his line and maybe it'll make players think twice about trying to milk contact me penalties in future if they cop a few shots.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Just watching it back after missing it live and Atkins clearly checks over his shoulder, spots Sironen and changes direction to get in front of him. Sironen well within his rights to hold his line and maybe it'll make players think twice about trying to milk contact me penalties in future if they cop a few shots.

Irrelevant, if a player deliberately moves in front of you it does not allow you to smash him.

• Like 2

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Hard not to feel annoyed to be honest.

It was a repeat of last year's Semi final in four chapters.. 

A. The dark arts

It seems this era will be remembered as an epoch when schiesse housery ensured victory - Messi's World Cup winners, Putin, Trump, Owen Farrell and now Saints.

For the naive, John Ashdown in the Guardian states- https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/05/what-is-shithousery-and-why-its-the-world-cups-biggest-problem

Tony Crowley’s Liverpool English Dictionary traces the term back to scouse slang used in the 1960s. The Concise New Partridge Dictionary of Slang has an entry for “sh!thouse”, with definitions “an extremely unpleasant individual” and “a coward”.

Last year, this year. Chicken wings, mounted head shots, rabbit prods to the neck, holding down on the neck, tackles off the ball.

Same old same. Rugby League at its best is a tough, honest, technical game. I can not say I've seen that today.

B. Saints win.

Last year, this year. Some astonishing play. The utter power of Walmsley try, everything about Roby. In this regard when or maybe if Saints play RL they are class. No need you'd think for A.

The difference between mere winners and wonders?

C. Salford lose.

I am most of all annoyed at Solly's shabby second half shocker.

"Same old same Salford."

You can't compete if you disrespect the ball, can't complete sets, throw child like suicide passes under the sticks, miss tackles or waste the few chances you have. 

Sorry that was dreadful.

However it is made all the worse by the wounded. Bad enough to lose. Even worse to leave with players cropped. See A. And D.

Lose, lose.

C. Kendal 

When I saw he was the official, I chalked this off as a Big L.

This time, hard to rationalize the decisions on Matty Lees off the ball tackle which has led to a mangled ankle or Atkins being Green card'd after being cracked on the neck, thus forcing the Reds to defend with one less.

I feel our refs just are not supported enough. Whilst I am annoyed at the inconsistencies, the ambiguous reckless lack of protection of players welfare. I wonder why and wish those refs could be made better. 

Until then it will relentlessly roll on in its chosen moribund fashion.....

🌼🌼🌼🌼

Any way stuff this. It's warm, it's fresh in the Big Shock City. Eurovision is soon on, the snacks, the refreshments and erm tunes erm.

On wards to the Cup and Saturday erm night Rugby erm. And will he Watto or will he not Watto return?

🖕😉👍

Edited by idrewthehaggis

25 minutes ago, Padge said:

Irrelevant, if a player deliberately moves in front of you it does not allow you to smash him.

Haha no it’s not irrelevant. Sironen has every right to maintain his line. The fact Atkin tried and failed to milk it means the only thing the ref got wrong in green carding Atkin is that it should have also been a penalty to Saints.

The Wright incident was unfortunate. Despite the TV trying to make out that it was somehow a high shot which caused a leg injury, his leg just got trapped under himself as he tried to collect the ball. I wish him the best in his recovery if the broken ankle is true. 

28 minutes ago, idrewthehaggis said:

Hard not to feel annoyed to be honest.

It was a repeat of last year's Semi final in four chapters.. 

A. The dark arts

It seems this era will be remembered as an epoch when schiesse housery ensured victory - Messi's World Cup winners, Putin, Trump, Owen Farrell and now Saints.

For the naive, John Ashdown in the Guardian states- https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/05/what-is-shithousery-and-why-its-the-world-cups-biggest-problem

Last year, this year. Chicken wings, mounted head shots, rabbit prods to the neck, holding down on the neck, tackles off the ball.

Same old same. Rugby League at its best is a tough, honest, technical game. I can not say I've seen that today.

B. Saints win.

Last year, this year. Some astonishing play. The utter power of Walmsley try, everything about Roby. In this regard when or maybe if Saints play RL they are class. No need you'd think for A.

The difference between mere winners and wonders?

C. Salford lose.

I am most of all annoyed at Solly's shabby second half shocker.

"Same old same Salford."

You can't compete if you disrespect the ball, can't complete sets, throw child like suicide passes under the sticks, miss tackles or waste the few chances you have. 

Sorry that was dreadful.

However it is made all the worse by the wounded. Bad enough to lose. Even worse to leave with players cropped. See A. And D.

Lose, lose.

C. Kendal 

When I saw he was the official, I chalked this off as a Big L.

This time, hard to rationalize the decisions on Matty Lees off the ball tackle which has led to a mangled ankle or Atkins being Green card'd after being cracked on the neck, thus forcing the Reds to defend with one less.

I feel our refs just are not supported enough. Whilst I am annoyed at the inconsistencies, the ambiguous reckless lack of protection of players welfare. I wonder why and wish those refs could be made better. 

Until then it will relentlessly roll on in its chosen moribund fashion.....

🌼🌼🌼🌼

Any way stuff this. It's warm, it's fresh in the Big Shock City. Eurovision is soon on, the snacks, the refreshments and erm tunes erm.

On wards to the Cup and Saturday erm night Rugby erm. And will he Watto or will he not Watto return?

🖕😉👍

Clear forward pass in lead up to Bell try.

Salford didn't get a single 6 again in 1st half. Disgraceful from Kendall.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Magic Superbeetle said:

Haha no it’s not irrelevant. Sironen has every right to maintain his line. The fact Atkin tried and failed to milk it means the only thing the ref got wrong in green carding Atkin is that it should have also been a penalty to Saints.

The Wright incident was unfortunate. Despite the TV trying to make out that it was somehow a high shot which caused a leg injury, his leg just got trapped under himself as he tried to collect the ball. I wish him the best in his recovery if the broken ankle is true. 

It wasn't unfortunate. Wright doesn't even have the ball. Whistle has gone. Lees cleans him put & causes a nasty injury as a result.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Magic Superbeetle said:

So if Sironen maintained his line and kneed him in the middle of the back that is ok

So if Sironen maintained his line and karate chopped him in the middle of the neck that is ok

So if Sironen maintained his line and shot him in the back that is ok.

You are not given carte blanche just because you are obstructed, you also have to abide by the laws, if a player is offside when he tackles you it does not give you the right to tm@t him.

• Like 2

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

5 hours ago, Jughead said:

Sironen MOTM by a country mile. Superb performance. 

Most certainly.  Thought Roby might get it for sentimental reasons but Sironen was immense throughout the game.

• Like 1

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

33 minutes ago, Magic Superbeetle said:

Sironen doesn't have the right to elbow him in the back of the head. And Lees took Wright out off the ball with a high shot and looks like he broke his ankle. Typical Saints. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Padge said:

So if Sironen maintained his line and kneed him in the middle of the back that is ok

So if Sironen maintained his line and karate chopped him in the middle of the neck that is ok

You are not given carte blanche just because you are obstructed, you also have to abide by the laws, if a player is offside when he tackles you it does not give you the right to tm@t him.

Sironen did none of those things though, so its a pointless argument. Atkin moved intentionally into the path of a player running full tilt to chase a ball down for the sole purpose of impeding him. If Atkins doesn't want to get hit, don't get in the way.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Padge said:

But Sironen didn’t do any of those things. He continued running. He is also allowed to brace himself for contact, given that contact is illegal on him.

in the same way; if you come off second best tackling someone off the ball it’s still a penalty for an off the ball tackle, same logic applies.

And since it seems Salford fans are very eager in dissecting the refs performance; I find it incredible no one’s mentioned Sneyd taking Lomax off the ball the set before Salfords second try… or does that not fit with the narrative

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Magic Superbeetle said:

But Sironen didn’t do any of those things. He continued running. He is also allowed to brace himself for contact, given that contact is illegal on him.

in the same way; if you come off second best tackling someone off the ball it’s still a penalty for an off the ball tackle, same logic applies.

And since it seems Salford fans are very eager in dissecting the refs performance; I find it incredible no one’s mentioned Sneyd taking Lomax off the ball the set before Salfords second try… or does that not fit with the narrative

What contact was Sironen bracing for? Apart from smashing in to the back of Atkin?

• Like 1

Can anyone explain why Kendall blows his whostle for what should be a clear penalty with Watkins tackled without the ball then gives a scrum for a knock on that hadn't happened when he blew his whistle?

Credit to Salford for not totally capitulating with 2 off the field.

Could have got really ugly but they hung in & still fired back.

That shot clock penalty was ridiculous.

The same happens numerous times in games & if you look at the timings it's perhaps two seconds.

You often hear efs call 10 seconds or call shot clock off as a player starts kick run up.

Edited by Gavin Harrison

1 hour ago, Padge said:

Sironen osn't going to g3r anywhere near the ball.

Atkin doesn't make a sudden move or step across Sironen.

Sironen sim0ly smashes into the back of him & causes a nasty whiplash.

Astonished that nothing was done. Should get a ban. As should Lees.

29 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

2 related statements? I can't see that they are. Jonny Lomax is a key player as you'd expect from a half back.

Giving credit to a superb player who really is huge for Saints.

Pointing out how utterly abject Kendall was.

Entirely related as were in the same game.....

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Gavin Harrison said:

That shot clock penalty was ridiculous.

The same happens numerous times in games & if you look at the timings it's perhaps two seconds.

You often hear efs call 10 seconds or call shot clock off as a player starts kick run up.

Let it go, Salford were rubbish in the second half and that's why you lost, nothing to do with Kendall.

• Like 6