Match thread: Championship Round 12 Summer Bash: York v Featherstone. Saturday 27th May 2023.

Summer Bash turns into an away game for Fev.

If you think about it, that's rubbish, but we'll get on with it.

We've got the prime slot, Saturday night.

I was impressed by the show at Widnes, a strong performance, especially first half. No weak links.

How will we line up at York? Same 17?

Moors, Evans and Kopzcak missed out at Halton Stadium.

Rumours abound about comebacks, but Kheirallah, Hankinson, Ford and Cozza have all been spotted training, so that can only be good news.

Leilua and Taylor, not sure.

As these players come back into contention, competition hots up for a place, which can only be good.

In 2021 we won our opening 13 games before we lost to Toulouse, so that's something to aim for.

2 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Unfortunately I’m away at the in-laws next weekend so can’t make it. Does anyone know if it’s on Viaplay. I had a look and there’s nothing showing on the schedules except for a re-run of London v Toulouse.

It's on Viaplay

53 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Unfortunately I’m away at the in-laws next weekend so can’t make it. Does anyone know if it’s on Viaplay. I had a look and there’s nothing showing on the schedules except for a re-run of London v Toulouse.

Here you go M

Saturday 27th May

Championship Round 12 (Summer Bash)

5:15pm Toulouse v London

Saturday 27th May

Championship Round 12 (Summer Bash)

7:45pm Featherstone v York

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

It's been widely reported that it's on ViaPlay, but it's a bit concerning that 5 days beforehand the Sky schedules are advertising that ViaPlay 1 will be showing 3 different live events on their 3 channels - the URC Grand Final on ViaPlay1, live darts on ViaPlay2 and live ice hockey on ViaPlay Xtra. Sometimes the Sky schedules can be wrong though so let's hope that's the case here.

2 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

It's been widely reported that it's on ViaPlay, but it's a bit concerning that 5 days beforehand the Sky schedules are advertising that ViaPlay 1 will be showing 3 different live events on their 3 channels - the URC Grand Final on ViaPlay1, live darts on ViaPlay2 and live ice hockey on ViaPlay Xtra. Sometimes the Sky schedules can be wrong though so let's hope that's the case here.

It shows both matches on the scheduled for Sunday, but no sign of the Bash matches being shown live on Saturday.

Wonder who if any injury’s will be returning, Ford and MK was said to be ready around the Sheffield game, hankinson been training for a few weeks. I think this game could potentially be a big statement from us if we put another strong performance in against a York side who have been underwhelming since there first season in the championship 

as good as lacans is I think him and Dean are too similar and Ford controls every aspect of the game he’s not the same player who was at Toulouse but he can win games just being in the field and can get us to the right areas which releases Dean which we saw in the early parts of the season

MK and hankinson for me could slot on at centres forcing hardy to the pack potentially taking Brad days spot who hasn’t been in amazing form I don’t think I’m looking forward to what could be us finally getting to full strength 

Edited by Rovers fev

Said it previously, as soon as Hankinson and Ford are fit they both stroll straight back into the team, they're our best option at the position they play. Kheirallah might have to wait for an opportunity or play out of position with Aekins being superb this year.

54 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Josh Drinkwater picked up a 1-game ban for Warrington at the weekend, hopefully they will just have a shuffle around for Friday's game at Leigh rather than recalling Riley Dean but we'll have to see.

I would have thought he can appeal so  will be OK for friday 

6 minutes ago, POR said:

I would have thought he can appeal so  will be OK for friday 

Grade C but only given 1 game so probably wouldn't make much sense to appeal as it's more likely to go up than down.

They might play Leon Hayes who is a half back who has made their 21-man squad a couple of times lately so I suspect we'll be ok with Dean.

54 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Good to see the club's social media confirming that Cozza is fit again and back in contention to play this weekend.

Going to be some right selection headaches for Long this week, but of a good kind.

Looks like SL got a bunch of FEV lads fighting fit but will Smith be part of his headaches

1 hour ago, POR said:

Looks like SL got a bunch of FEV lads fighting fit but will Smith be part of his headaches

Yes.

https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/news/daniel-smith-is-a-featherstone-player-8VHsq/

Well done to the club. This is a very solid signing and in a position where we needed reinforcements not just for this year but for next year whether we are in Championship or SL.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Yes.

https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/news/daniel-smith-is-a-featherstone-player-8VHsq/

Well done to the club. This is a very solid signing and in a position where we needed reinforcements not just for this year but for next year whether we are in Championship or SL.

Very happy with this! He's really good ball player and makes meters too! 

Arguably Cas let their best forward go

Some quotes from a range of different users on the Cas forum. It's a tight contest at the moment which forum is in the biggest meltdown between the Cas and Wakey one.

"Feel for Smith miles better then Griffin and Massey but gets treat like rubbish."

"I agree. I think hes our best prop.Better than Watts, and more reliable."

"Yeah if I were coach he’d be getting picked here instead of one or two other thats for sure."

"Unbelievable, he is by far our best go forward prop. Another reason we will finish in the bottom 2 this season."

"I don’t understand this one bit - we are struggling to lay a platform as it is, and one of our only props that actually show a bit of effort gets shipped out? Fair enough he’s no world beater but, with our current squad he’d be in my 17."

"There would be others i’d have preferred to leave before Smith."

"Yet another great decision by Last, when are we going to bring some in and use our spare quota spot, better now before we hit the panic button when Wakie win a couple.
Good move for Smith, Fev look good for promotion and have a owner who will spend to give them a real chance of succeeding in the top tier."

"Look he's no world beater but he's better than what we've got it's as tho we're deliberately making bonkers decisions one after the other no idea how JQQ is getting on at Bradford but he was a player that brought some excitement to a dismal attacking team
It will all end in tears in my view if not this season the following one."

"I hate this club. Everything looked on the up in 2017, its absolute amateur hour now. We've some absolute doylems in charge throughout the club."

"Smith just isnt the type of prop to fit into the Last game plan. I've seen him break a tackle and offload."

• Haha 1

Last time we visited LNER stadium I parked in the park and ride car park but not sure what sort of crowd is expected and if that’ll be possible this time. Any thoughts from one of our York supporting betheren? Any suggestions of where is good to park?