9s tournament

1 hour ago, The 4 of Us said:

Reposting from “August’ thread.

IMG have said they want to do things differently, new fans, new money etc. Just new.

The trend appears to be with ‘events’ , such as the UFC circus, Premier League Darts and the like.

I don’t think a stand alone 9’s comp would work. RL fans would see it as second to the real thing, but what about a SL Grand Prix. Perhaps even an indoor series of events. Leeds Arena, MEN Arena, O2 etc.

Something really different. Each event different match ups ( 4 groups of 3) with a ‘final’ all adding up over the series for a trophy alongside SL and CC. 

Think that would be 5 hours of sport in one event to sell. 20 mins games x 3 games x 4 groups plus semis and final.

Just a thought. 

Land mine the in goals. Game finishes if a team is down to 8 players 

I think the tournament with immediate jeopardy is just the challenge cup. Plenty can be done with that without the need for men in suits to make up random rubbish to justify large fees. 

18 hours ago, The 4 of Us said:

Reposting from “August’ thread.

IMG have said they want to do things differently, new fans, new money etc. Just new.

The trend appears to be with ‘events’ , such as the UFC circus, Premier League Darts and the like.

I don’t think a stand alone 9’s comp would work. RL fans would see it as second to the real thing, but what about a SL Grand Prix. Perhaps even an indoor series of events. Leeds Arena, MEN Arena, O2 etc.

Something really different. Each event different match ups ( 4 groups of 3) with a ‘final’ all adding up over the series for a trophy alongside SL and CC. 

Think that would be 5 hours of sport in one event to sell. 20 mins games x 3 games x 4 groups plus semis and final.

Just a thought. 

An indoor version has been tried. X Rugby.

Would be easy to adapt a RL version.

Surely it would have to be a supplement/outlier than a replacement.

Still gimmicky, but if it was profitable why not.

To satisfy the traditional fans, as well as a game of 9's lengthways, we should simultaneously play a game of 4's widthways on the pitch at the same time.  That way we still have 13 players on the pitch.

And to think, the leadership in my business say I am not strategic thinking material. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

To satisfy the traditional fans, as well as a game of 9's lengthways, we should simultaneously play a game of 4's widthways on the pitch at the same time.  That way we still have 13 players on the pitch.

And to think, the leadership in my business say I am not strategic thinking material. 

Why not just play magic in slots of 20 mins each with points for each quarter of the game won.

You then keep magic but with each game played over 2 days to stop those with short attention spans or only interest in their side from leaving early.

The worst of both worlds.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/06/2023 at 07:09, OnStrike said:

18 minute games, bands between games, races between players between games. Twelve SL teams plus four teams whuch could include a League 1 select team, an Army team or Jamaica (or other international teams). A try between the posts is 5 points, a designated player who plays a in different colour shirt had his tries worth 6 points, power plays after tries etc. Apparently we just have to 'market' it properly and it would work. The Hearns could run it.

The whole thing screams gimmick as you say. Not sure if it could be done in a meaningful way, but if if wasn't anything like above, it would be embarrassing.

Could we put some sort of Mario cart style power ups on the pitch that allowed players to sprint faster, or perhaps allowed them to fire shells or banana skins at the opposition's full back?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, thebrewxi said:

Could we put some sort of Mario cart style power ups on the pitch that allowed players to sprint faster, or perhaps allowed them to fire shells or banana skins at the opposition's full back?

Great stuff, that'll get the punters in. A custard pie in the face for anyone who doesn't ground the ball properly when going for a try should get some new fans in the door too

On 08/06/2023 at 18:18, Dunbar said:

We could attempt the 3 sided football thing. 3 teams on the pitch 3 try lines arranged hexagonally with the 2 teams in defence having to form structures on the fly against the team in possession for mutual benefit.  

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

I thought the cricket Hundred was different franchise teams than the normal cricket teams.  I am assuming here that the regular cricket forms players are allowed to play for whatever franchise... a means of earning extra.

Are we suggesting if any form of shorter version of RL that you do different franchises.

Just asking as some comments reference Cricket Hundreds, which I have always assumed was more than playing a lesser time format.

7 minutes ago, redjonn said:

I thought the cricket Hundred was different franchise teams than the normal cricket teams.  I am assuming here that the regular cricket forms players are allowed to play for whatever franchise... a means of earning extra.

Are we suggesting if any form of shorter version of RL that you do different franchises.

Just asking as some comments reference Cricket Hundreds, which I have always assumed was more than playing a lesser time format.

Yes. The Hundred is entirely different teams. As an example, Joe Root played for Trent Rockets in it (Nottinghamshire’s ground) rather than Headingley’s Northern Superchargers.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

SL 9s.

12 teams split into 4 groups of 3.

Winner of each group into semis then final.

8 points for winning the competition.

6 points for reaching the final.

2 points for every group game won by the rest (potentially 0-4 points).

Think adding points to the actual SL table is the only way you'd get people to take it seriously. Think of it a bit like Premier League Darts but more teams.

Whether it would hurt the integrity of the league too much is obviously a big negative (although we do already have an uneven fixture list 🤷)

Could be a good mid-season shuffle though.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

On 07/06/2023 at 17:34, Leonard said:

I have no idea where 9's came from and why it is a thing suddenly.

Nobody has ever called for it or wanted it - but it seems to have grown some mythological relevance in the last 12 months that some in positions of power are convinced of.

It's been around for years. I used to go to the Leeds 9s while they lasted and I thought it was a good day out. It was hardly publicised at all and got a crowd of 3 to 4 thousand. I think the last one was around 2010 or 11. It was the first time I saw a Jamaica team play (and they did well), and once they had a friendly between a local schools team and a public schools side.