Rohan Michael leading Irish charge to Rugby League

Can't click on the link (the s*n) but I wouldn't call it a charge. As an Irish RL fan I know there's talent in Ireland for sure however come world cup time the best home grown players won't get a look in. Ronan himself only played one game, others didn't even make the squad. Theres some dedicated people running the game in Ireland but it hasn't really moved forward. Needs investment that just isn't there unfortunately. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Can't click on the link (the s*n) but I wouldn't call it a charge. As an Irish RL fan I know there's talent in Ireland for sure however come world cup time the best home grown players won't get a look in. Ronan himself only played one game, others didn't even make the squad. Theres some dedicated people running the game in Ireland but it hasn't really moved forward. Needs investment that just isn't there unfortunately. 

These are empty PR articles. 

Rugby League was non existant until the mid 1990s in Ireland. it developed in Ireland mainly due to the ending of the ban and the start of Sky Sports. 

It started in off in Dublin. The high point was in the 2000 to 2010 period. Since then the number of clubs have dropped by at least 50 per cent. 

Cork Bulls recently had to plead for players to play.  They warned that they would have to fold if they didnt get numbers. 

As the article states. Players have no choice but to leave Ireland to develop. 

In the unlikely event of there being a Pro team in Ireland. Cork and not Dublin is the place to have it. While Provinical Rugby Union games are played in Cork it is only three a year. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, corkonian77 said:

Rugby League was non existant until the mid 1990s in Ireland. it developed in Ireland mainly due to the ending of the ban and the start of Sky Sports. 

It started in off in Dublin. The high point was in the 2000 to 2010 period. Since then the number of clubs have dropped by at least 50 per cent. 

Cork Bulls recently had to plead for players to play.  They warned that they would have to fold if they didnt get numbers. 

In the unlikely event of there being a Pro team in Ireland. Cork and not Dublin is the place to have it. While Provinical Rugby Union games are played in Cork it is only three a year. 

Why Cork over Dublin out of interest?

On 22/06/2023 at 08:30, corkonian77 said:

The Ban (or rule 27) was lifted in 1971.

I'd say most Irish folk became aware of RL when SKY got hold of it. The problem with Ireland is that after Gaelic Football, Hurling, Football and Union, there's little attention left for any new sports and if there is, it takes a HUGE effort from volunteers as well as a lot of ex-pats and Students.
Here's an example of a "foreign" sport in Ireland.

28 clubs that I can see compared to 6 active RL clubs.
https://www.americanfootball.ie/teams/find_your_club/

https://www.rli.ie/tables/

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Londonbornirishbred said:

The Ban (or rule 27) was lifted in 1971.

I'd say most Irish folk became aware of RL when SKY got hold of it. The problem with Ireland is that after Gaelic Football, Hurling, Football and Union, there's little attention left for any new sports and if there is, it takes a HUGE effort from volunteers as well as a lot of ex-pats and Students.
Here's an example of a "foreign" sport in Ireland.

28 clubs that I can see compared to 6 active RL clubs.
https://www.americanfootball.ie/teams/find_your_club/

https://www.rli.ie/tables/

Prior to April 1971 anybody playling Rugby League faced two bans. 

They were banned from playing GAA due to Rule 27.  In practice virtually nobody went to Rugby League that had not accepted a ban for playing Rugby Union. 

The GAA do not rent out to facilites to other rival Football codes. If a GAA Club rented out their main pitich to Rugby League club/federation without permision they would face displinary action. 

Rugby Union banned players that played League until 1995. Only a hand full of Irish born players ever recieved a ban. 

You are absolutely correct about media attention. All those Big four games get massive Free to Air tv time. It is a rare week on tv when those one of those sports gets at least 2 matches shown on free tv. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, corkonian77 said:

Prior to April 1971 anybody playling Rugby League faced two bans. 

They were banned from playing GAA due to Rule 27.  In practice virtually nobody went to Rugby League that had not accepted a ban for playing Rugby Union. 

The GAA do not rent out to facilites to other rival Football codes. If a GAA Club rented out their main pitich to Rugby League club/federation without permision they would face displinary action. 

Rugby Union banned players that played League until 1995. Only a hand full of Irish born players ever recieved a ban. 

You are absolutely correct about media attention. All those Big four games get massive Free to Air tv time. It is a rare week on tv when those one of those sports gets at least 2 matches shown on free tv. 

I wonder who were the Irish Rugby League played as must of been tough getting banned from the GAA for playing Rugby Union and then getting banned from Rugby Union for playing Rugby League.....mental nonsense.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, EggFace said:

I wonder who were the Irish Rugby League played as must of been tough getting banned from the GAA for playing Rugby Union and then getting banned from Rugby Union for playing Rugby League.....mental nonsense.

Here are some. 

John "Jack" Daly (Huddersfield/Featherstone Rovers)

Patrick "Paddy" Reid (Huddersfield/Halifax)

Thankfully today those days are gone. The days of players hiding in car boots or using false names is gone. 

Rugby Union and Football have been played in Parc Ui Chaoimh ( Cork County ground) and Rugby League in Thomond park ( Munster Rugby's Main Stadium). 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, corkonian77 said:

Here are some. 

John "Jack" Daly (Huddersfield/Featherstone Rovers)

Patrick "Paddy" Reid (Huddersfield/Halifax)

Thankfully today those days are gone. The days of players hiding in car boots or using false names is gone. 

Rugby Union and Football have been played in Parc Ui Chaoimh ( Cork County ground) and Rugby League in Thomond park ( Munster Rugby's Main Stadium). 

I think the Munster game was 1995 and got about 5000 or so.

On 21/06/2023 at 21:30, corkonian77 said:

I agree about the empty PR part and for me the RLI go about things completely the wrong way and have done for 2 decades and more. I certainly know the junior u16 and student rep setups are going about things completely the wrong way.

As much time has been spent in trying to attract English kids as Irish kids. The coaches and managers are based in England and there have been as many sessions in England as Ireland. From the first session in Ireland parents and kids alike where asking for more sessions, more training etc but there have been very few. Kids have left and not bothered as a result as there is simply not enough worth committing too when other sports have full, proper schedules.

Generally there is far too much going for the easy option. It is one thing RLI picking heritage players at a professional World Cup to compete at that level. Going down that path is completely wrong at underage level and does nothing to develop the game back. Indeed it is holding the game back by taking away resources and removing carrots for Irish lads to play the game.

There are certainly kids are in Ireland who want to play. However as far as I can see RLI cant be bothered actually trying to develop the game at that level. All coaches and managers should be based in Ireland and all of those sessions in England should be taking place in Ireland. Yes the game is way off having a domestic league of teams at underage level but it could build on what it has been doing because those sessions have been good. The problem is there have been less than a handful. Make them a weekly or bi-weekly event and build from that. Then you have the adult setup that still revolves what is essentially RU clubs deciding to play that year. And then fades as quickly when a chairman or RU coach decides it isn't a good idea.

Until all that changes nothing will improve.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Damien said:

I agree about the empty PR part and for me the RLI go about things completely the wrong way and have done for 2 decades and more. I certainly know the junior u16 and student rep setups are going about things completely the wrong way.

As much time has been spent in trying to attract English kids as Irish kids. The coaches and managers are based in England and there have been as many sessions in England as Ireland. From the first session in Ireland parents and kids alike where asking for more sessions, more training etc but there have been very few. Kids have left and not bothered as a result as there is simply not enough worth committing too when other sports have full, proper schedules.

Generally there is far too much going for the easy option. It is one thing RLI picking heritage players at a professional World Cup to compete at that level. Going down that path is completely wrong at underage level and does nothing to develop the game back. Indeed it is holding the game back by taking away resources and removing carrots for Irish lads to play the game.

There are certainly kids are in Ireland who want to play. However as far as I can see RLI cant be bothered actually trying to develop the game at that level. All coaches and managers should be based in Ireland and all of those sessions in England should be taking place in Ireland. Yes the game is way off having a domestic league of teams at underage level but it could build on what it has been doing because those sessions have been good. The problem is there have been less than a handful. Make them a weekly or bi-weekly event and build from that. Then you have the adult setup that still revolves what is essentially RU clubs deciding to play that year. And then fades as quickly when a chairman or RU coach decides it isn't a good idea.

Until all that changes nothing will improve.

Completely agree. 

Nothing wrong with heritage players wanting to represent Ireland but everything should be based in Ireland. 

In the last world cup the official account, head coach and players were using the Tricolour as the Ireland RL flag when it's an all-Ireland sport. That's because nearly all staff were English based and didn't have a clue. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, EggFace said:

No Wigan played a game at Thomond Park in the mid 90's but can't remember the opponents.

Wigan played Leeds at the RDS in Dublin in 1995. I'm certain they've never played at Thomond Park.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, corkonian77 said:

There is Youtube coverage of that game. Charity Shield.

What a terrific match. 

• Like 1