Josh Wood

wiggymj14

9 hours ago, Jarc said:

Matt Shaw is reporting it so it will be true. Can’t blame the lad. More money and closer to home. Whatever happens at the end of this season, he has been outstanding for us. 

Guaranteed championship rugby..... We're in trouble, with a full rebuild next year whether we stay up or not. Last year feels a lifetime ago

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Bring back GB said:

Steve Neale recently said in an interview that next year's squad will be mainly local lads due to financial restraints 

If that's the case, despite all the fantastic fund raising initiatives this board have worked tirelessly to put in place, it makes me wonder whether Championship rugby will pretty much always be beyond us financially in the long term from

I'm really not sure what else the board can do. They put together a fantastic team last year and we had a brilliant season yet here we are once  again starting down the barrel of relegation.

I always love it when the team is full of locals as team spirit is usually through the roof and there is a real feel good factor throughout the whole extended Raiders family.  I think, however, recent history proves that without at least a minimum of four or five real good quality additions (who rarely come cheap) that maintaining championship status long term is not  achievable sadly. 

Hooe I'm wrong

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Raiderfan67 said:

If that's the case, despite all the fantastic fund raising initiatives this board have worked tirelessly to put in place, it makes me wonder whether Championship rugby will pretty much always be beyond us financially in the long term from

I'm really not sure what else the board can do. They put together a fantastic team last year and we had a brilliant season yet here we are once  again starting down the barrel of relegation.

I always love it when the team is full of locals as team spirit is usually through the roof and there is a real feel good factor throughout the whole extended Raiders family.  I think, however, recent history proves that without at least a minimum of four or five real good quality additions (who rarely come cheap) that maintaining championship status long term is not  achievable sadly. 

Hooe I'm wrong

Pretty much sums it up

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Raiderfan67 said:

Hooe I'm wrong

One shudders to think where we'd be financially without all the extra income this year from the Marquee and other fund-raisers. Home crowds are averaging 2000 plus, so gate money can't be bad. Some of our so-called star, non-performing players must be on huge money. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, 2Cents said:

One shudders to think where we'd be financially without all the extra income this year from the Marquee and other fund-raisers. Home crowds are averaging 2000 plus, so gate money can't be bad. Some of our so-called star, non-performing players must be on huge money. 

I would think the problem has a lot to do with the reduction in central funding as well.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Raiderfan67 said:

Hooe I'm wrong

I dont think staying in the league isnt financially sustainable long term, I just think trying to build squads to aim for play offs isnt. The problem we are always going to have is that if we get into the play offs with a large out of town contigent other teams will either bid up the contracts or take our better players which forces us to gamble in replacing them. 

No disrespect to these players but out of town signings like Worthington, Wells, Burke, Evans, Brooks and Sammut were intended to get us into the play offs and it just hasnt happened. Shane Toal is currently playing centre instead of Worthington due to playing better.  The 4 forwards you couldnt argue have played consistently better than locals  Gillam, Emslie and even Wilkinson since he signed. Sammut has been quite erratic to the point where im unsure if Carter would have been a better option. Everyone is definitley trying and I feel we have had a huge amount of luck go against us this year but I suspect we have tried to compete with Fax/Sheffield/Widnes and it just isnt viable. 

The only thing I would comment for staying in the league is you need an experienced game manager either at 6 or 7. This is a position Id look to out of town for otherwise build a strong base of Cumbrians with a few extras. 

Edited by RSN
  • Like 3

Think Langtree would be the biggest loss of the 'out of towners', Woods has been pretty solid last 2 seasons, Sammut hot/cold and more cold this year compared to last. Evans is starting to look like a better player, Burke will be gone & will be glad not to see Brooks being paid for zero production. Shame to lose Wells for the season, up there with Broadbent for best signing.

• Like 1

I personally don't think we've used Burke correctly, near the line he is a right handful to stop but we don't seem to be giving him the opportunity to barge over like we did with Ryan Duffy a similar front rower. We are using him as a playmaker front rower which I think negates his main strengths. Evans has improved I would keep both for next year if possible (think Burke signed a 2 year deal anyway). Brooks I agree is absolutely garbage should never have been given a new deal. Wells for me came back out of shape and never seemed to get in shape before his injury he's probably been one of the biggest disappointments. Langtree and wood are 7/8 out of 10 every week would do everything we can to keep both, especially wood locally mossop and Saunders aren't good enough at this level for me we need a standout 9, you see the drop off when wood goes off the pitch. I presume we are breaking the bank to keep sammut I don't think we will do the same next year however I do expect us to sign another travelling half I think it's something we need to compliment Johnston. Archer developing and never been convinced by carter's distribution at this level.

Edited by Raider91
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, 2Cents said:

Reduced to raffling a watch, if our friends up the coast are anything to go by.

• Like 1

Think that players that will be out of contract at end of season can speak with other clubs from 1 July re contracts for next season. For the last few years Widnes have been leaking information (maybe not official announcements) about players joining them from July which is upsetting for the current clubs.  Information for next season should not be released until the current season is over as its unsettling for both the players involved and the supporters.

• Like 3

Be interested to know which players contracts expire this year?

Burke, Evans, Worthington, Brooks (poor signings) and Sammut are all well-travelled veteran journeymen, past their best and should be history for us going forward.

Some may not agree, but I think it's also time for Stack to depart or retire, even though he's been a good asset.

• Like 2

On 18/07/2023 at 13:55, 2Cents said:

Be interested to know which players contracts expire this year?

Burke, Evans, Worthington, Brooks (poor signings) and Sammut are all well-travelled veteran journeymen, past their best and should be history for us going forward.

Some may not agree, but I think it's also time for Stack to depart or retire, even though he's been a good asset.

I can't agree with the last line of the statement Barrow looked far more organised when Stack was back on Sunday

If rumours are true with Woods and Langtree, other players most likely not being offered contracts and players possibly retiring, is it time as a club go duel reg and establish a strong tie with a SL club? Not sure what the circumstance this would have on the clubs finances but it may relieve some of the financial burden.  

Edited by Masters 13
BarrowRaiders-Enforcer-1.png