Match thread: Championship Round 22. Sheffield Eagles v Featherstone Rovers. Friday 18th August 2023.

marklaspalmas

46 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

I think he will, but it comes to something when a centre can sort the half backs out.And Sean who was one of the best #### halves of the modern game couldn't do it.He tried to keep players happy by playing them instead of building a regular partnership.

A bit harsh I think S from the start you could see the plan was to play Ryley and ford as the regular half backs but with powell messing us and ryley about and ford being made of chocolate that didn't  happen which meant we had to go to the pick and mix counter to find a solution every week

5 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Sounds from James Ford's interview on next up as if Moors might be playing on Friday at Sheffield and Johnno against Keighley, as has been mooted for a while.

Will we get an hour out of John Davies? who i would have covering the edge defence.

4 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

I think he will, but it comes to something when a centre can sort the half backs out.And Sean who was one of the best #### halves of the modern game couldn't do it.He tried to keep players happy by playing them instead of building a regular partnership.

Iam glad someone else has said that but it was obvious.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Think I’d put Taylor in the half’s with Chissy and then it’s Ford and Chissy, when Jono is fit. Like Lacans, but for me, he’s more a hooker.

I could go with that,Aekins and Lacans have shown they don't have what is required as playmakers for the stand off role.Lacans at hooker could work Wildie works hard but Lacans would be quicker and for his size he does defend well.

1 hour ago, sentoffagain2 said:

I could go with that,Aekins and Lacans have shown they don't have what is required as playmakers for the stand off role.Lacans at hooker could work Wildie works hard but Lacans would be quicker and for his size he does defend well.

Might be worthwhile trying Lacans at hooker with Wildie, and trying Jones at centre for a full game? Maybe not tonight though! Win tonight and next week then it's all about preparation for the play-offs, and Jones may be needed to move to centre if one of the backs gets injured during the game. An injury or suspension in a play-off game could tip the balance away from the favourites, and Rovers need to be prepared for this kind of eventuality, so they could ride the storm.

10 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

Might be worthwhile trying Lacans at hooker with Wildie, and trying Jones at centre for a full game? Maybe not tonight though! Win tonight and next week then it's all about preparation for the play-offs, and Jones may be needed to move to centre if one of the backs gets injured during the game. An injury or suspension in a play-off game could tip the balance away from the favourites, and Rovers need to be prepared for this kind of eventuality, so they could ride the storm.

Think you are right. Most likely Lacans and Chiss tonight, with Wildie starting at hooker. Too tough a game to take chances.

6 hours ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Think I’d put Taylor in the half’s with Chissy and then it’s Ford and Chissy, when Jono is fit. Like Lacans, but for me, he’s more a hooker.

When we played Taylor at half back it was a bit of an emergency move with Ford and Lacans both out injured and Aekins having to play full back with Kheirallah still out. It worked out ok but we just bashed a very poor York team down the middle that day. I don't think we'd choose to play Taylor at half with Chisholm, Lacans and Aekins all available.

Edited by The Phantom Horseman

Why don't we play the kitman at 6, the coach driver at loose forward and have Ford himself lace up and play on the wing. Or we could just play players in their best position and hope in the games we have left before the playoffs that we resemble something like a team that can play decent rugby.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, elppaxr2i said:

Why are folks suggesting trying HBs at hooker with 5 weeks of the season to go???

Deary me

Because he dosn't have the skills as a half back.But has the pace playing from 9 to be a good support player in the middle like Jones who is  not quite so effective when playing 80 min.Lacans may be a decent half back later in his career but not at present

2 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Because he dosn't have the skills as a half back.But has the pace playing from 9 to be a good support player in the middle like Jones who is  not quite so effective when playing 80 min.Lacans may be a decent half back later in his career but not at present

Plus he’s played the position before. Think it’s irrelevant though, as Ford isn’t going to radically change things at this stage of the season.

2 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Plus he’s played the position before. Think it’s irrelevant though, as Ford isn’t going to radically change things at this stage of the season.

Well if he doesnt play at 9 tonight then he wont play 9 at all this season 

Fordy has been here long enough to assess if Lacans is good enough to have a go at 9 and unsurps two fit hookers and gets the starting role

For me there is absolutely no way the team be radically messed about with with business end of the season approaching so pie in the sky suggestions like above regarding the team are just that - pie in the sky 

Edited by elppaxr2i
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, elppaxr2i said:

Well if he doesnt play at 9 tonight then he wont play 9 at all this season 

Fordy has been here long enough to assess if Lacans is good enough to have a go at 9 and unsurps two fit hookers and gets the starting role

For me there is absolutely no way the team be radically messed about with with business end of the season approaching so pie in the sky suggestions like above regarding the team are just that - pie in the sky 

So Chizzy at 7 Aekins or Lacans at 6 and we all know Aekins is not and never will be a stand off.So looks like Chizzy and Lacans.

• Like 1