Sun 20th Aug: The Betfred League One Match Thread

55 minutes ago, PhilCarrington said:

Expecting a side to play 3 games in a week, all of them involving 400 mile round trips is ridiculous. Can't believe the RFL would expect a club just off the M62 to do that these days, with their focus on player welfare.

Expecting Rochdale to play Oldham at home on Sunday, Skolars at home on Wednesday and then travel down to Cornwall for Sunday is a mighty ask as well. 

Integrity went out of the window 2 years ago when Barrow and Workington managed to avoid re-arranging their game thus not risking either of their win percentages.

Yep on reflection apology owed by me. I had not completed my logistical homework prior to posting. I agree that the RFL’s expectations on this occasion are way out. However if you don’t mind me saying I do think that the Skolars need to have a general internal review as to where the club see’s itself going forward.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PhilCarrington said:

Expecting a side to play 3 games in a week, all of them involving 400 mile round trips is ridiculous. Can't believe the RFL would expect a club just off the M62 to do that these days, with their focus on player welfare.

Expecting Rochdale to play Oldham at home on Sunday, Skolars at home on Wednesday and then travel down to Cornwall for Sunday is a mighty ask as well. 

Integrity went out of the window 2 years ago when Barrow and Workington managed to avoid re-arranging their game thus not risking either of their win percentages.

Integrity in the game? Only when it suits. 

The original Rochdale Skolars fixture was called off by Rochdale with Skolars an hour away due to a waterlogged pitch. Process wasn’t followed by Rochdale - as far as I’ve been told nobody from the RFL was present to call the game off. (Rochdale ordered too by the football club owners). So points actually should be awarded to Skolars. When they didn’t follow process last year with the Doctor - they were instantly fined and points went to Keighley. 

In terms of Skolars fulfilling a midweek fixture after travelling to Hunslet and next weekend travelling to North Wales - it’s a ridiculous suggestion in the first place. However, the chat around London is that the RFL contacted West’s Warriors and asked them to fulfil the fixture under the London Skolars name 😂. How would that even work? Integrity in the game? Laughable. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

I'd imagine that the Skolars will turn up on Sunday ( the Cru's record win is 84-4 last season against West Wales - might be a number worth remembering), but if they don't we've got to wonder what their future is and that of League 1, which I cant see being viable with only 9 clubs.

There will be no issue of Skolars not fulfilling the fixture at NWC. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SUPERSTUD said:

Yep on reflection apology owed by me. I had not completed my logistical homework prior to posting. I agree that the RFL’s expectations on this occasion are way out. However if you don’t mind me saying I do think that the Skolars need to have a general internal review as to where the club see’s itself going forward.

100% on the internal review. Comes down to the current owners (alleged new owners have backed out). Club needs to be sold to people who want to put the money in and understand RL. Right now it’s an amateur side masquerading as semi pro. 

The good players in that team (only a handful) & coaches have been hung out to dry this season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cb2 said:

100% on the internal review. Comes down to the current owners (alleged new owners have backed out). Club needs to be sold to people who want to put the money in and understand RL. Right now it’s an amateur side masquerading as semi pro. . 

The current owners have financially kept the club alive after the cut in central funding from ~£70,000 2 years ago to ~ £15,000 for the last 2 years.

Without the current owners the club would not have existed the last 2 years.

In January at the pre season friendly prospective new owners publicly  announced they were going to buy the club & make it the #1 London team - they then delayed at every stage of due diligence process & repeatedly made excuses for not making any payments to Skolars, finally last week saying they were not going to purchase the club.

The current owners I am sure would more than welcome new owners/parties to move the club forward - the reality is for over 10 years Skolars have tried to secure additional expertise & investment only to be burnt by Argyle & then ARC. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cb2 said:

The good players in that team (only a handful) & coaches have been hung out to dry this season. 

I’ve seen most away games this season & there are certainly a handful of good players in the squad, but the rest are clearly not up to league 1 standard.

Not convinced about coaches at all - team selection has been very erratic & at times clearly not playing the obviously much better players.

While coaches can only work with the players they have got, there has been no development or improvement at all from 1st game os season to last - a decent coach would at least be able to install the basics & systems that 1/2 the team clearly can not do.

1 hour ago, Templegreen said:

The current owners have financially kept the club alive after the cut in central funding from ~£70,000 2 years ago to ~ £15,000 for the last 2 years.

Without the current owners the club would not have existed the last 2 years.

In January at the pre season friendly prospective new owners publicly  announced they were going to buy the club & make it the #1 London team - they then delayed at every stage of due diligence process & repeatedly made excuses for not making any payments to Skolars, finally last week saying they were not going to purchase the club.

The current owners I am sure would more than welcome new owners/parties to move the club forward - the reality is for over 10 years Skolars have tried to secure additional expertise & investment only to be burnt by Argyle & then ARC. 

I agree, however, they aren’t willing to put the money in order to be competitive so therefore they can’t expect any other level of performance or result. 

48 minutes ago, Templegreen said:

I’ve seen most away games this season & there are certainly a handful of good players in the squad, but the rest are clearly not up to league 1 standard.

Not convinced about coaches at all - team selection has been very erratic & at times clearly not playing the obviously much better players.

While coaches can only work with the players they have got, there has been no development or improvement at all from 1st game os season to last - a decent coach would at least be able to install the basics & systems that 1/2 the team clearly can not do.

Again I agree on playing squad - & I believe the coaches would too. The team lost it’s starting 1, 7, 9 from the year before (Bassett, Lyon, Bell) who in 2022 were responsible for 75% of the good things that team did. However, you cannot say the squad isn’t good enough and then say it’s the coaches fault. They’ve basically been told to run but have had their legs tied together and one arm behind their back. 

Team selections are affected by players disappearing on holiday, prioritising Students rugby over League 1, missing training & having a poor attitude - all things I’ve been told happen too frequently. Players have to be coachable or you simply cannot progress. 

They have two coaches, (the head coach was in charge when Skolars had their best ever season circa 2012) a physio and one full time staff member in the club. Even last year they had more. Every other club has 3-4 coaches, a kit man etc etc. 

Ultimately no one person is to blame but the whole operation is amateur masquerading as semi pro. The club will be lucky if the coach doesn’t walk away next year!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

I dunno but regardless it's a poor show not to fullfill a fixture in league 1. All doesn't seem well and I would guess that Skolars will have a long hard think in this off season if they can continue in league 1. It would be a huge shame but indicative of the challenges faced by clubs outside the heartlands 

Duplicate query - apologies.

Edited by Blind side johnny

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 hours ago, Cb2 said:

I agree, however, they aren’t willing to put the money in order to be competitive so therefore they can’t expect any other level of performance or result. 

Yes but it may surprise you that most people who run RL clubs don't have much money. There aren't many people willing or able to fund RL clubs especially in League 1. My feeling with Skolars is the chancers who decided to announce they were taking over completely derailed the season. Expected investment never came and consequently Skolars have just treaded water. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, SUPERSTUD said:

What a shock. Integrity of the league and all that. Should be booted out end of.

The original game at Hornets was called off due to the appalling weather - after Skolars had already traveled to Rochdale. Skolars players aren't full time and I doubt they could take time off work to travel to Rochdale (again) on a Wednesday. I don't like to see cancelled games either but lets look at the circumstances before calling teams to be booted out.

Edit: I posted this before reading some of the other replies; sorry if theres some repetition

Edited by gogledd
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Templegreen said:

While coaches can only work with the players they have got, there has been no development or improvement at all from 1st game os season to last - a decent coach would at least be able to install the basics & systems that 1/2 the team clearly can not do..,

7 hours ago, Cb2 said:

…However, you cannot say the squad isn’t good enough and then say it’s the coaches fault. They’ve basically been told to run but have had their legs tied together and one arm behind their back. 

Cb2 - I agree with the general theme of your comments on this thread 👍🏻 you obviously know about the club & it’s current circumstances, but, I didn’t say it was the coaches fault the squad was not good enough - i said it was the coaches fault there has been zero improvement at all over the season.

Being a London exile, I only get to watch the away games, but the fans I have spoken to at the odd game they traveled up to have said they knew & understood this season would be very difficult. What frustrated them is not losing (they are used to losing), but the lack of any improvement in performance from game 1 to game 16. Surely after a whole season the coach should have had sone positive effect in performance.

🤞the squad can put in a performance at North Wales on the weekend & show they can be competitive.

10 hours ago, Templegreen said:

Cb2 - I agree with the general theme of your comments on this thread 👍🏻 you obviously know about the club & it’s current circumstances, but, I didn’t say it was the coaches fault the squad was not good enough - i said it was the coaches fault there has been zero improvement at all over the season.

Being a London exile, I only get to watch the away games, but the fans I have spoken to at the odd game they traveled up to have said they knew & understood this season would be very difficult. What frustrated them is not losing (they are used to losing), but the lack of any improvement in performance from game 1 to game 16. Surely after a whole season the coach should have had sone positive effect in performance.

🤞the squad can put in a performance at North Wales on the weekend & show they can be competitive.

I would say considering the squad and losing its a starting spine from last year - hard for any club to do but more so in London and one of those players being Bassett who almost won games on his own (19 tries) they’ve performed as expected. 

Rochdale at home they lost by a couple of points and should have won were it not for a stupid player decision in the last two mins. They were very competitive both games against Midlands and in patches at home to Cornwall. They scored 30 at Doncaster -  not an easy thing to do, 6-6 at half time away at Worky. They were competitive first half against Hunslet Sunday - so whilst all games have been losses, gives a bit of a different perspective. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

Yes but it may surprise you that most people who run RL clubs don't have much money. There aren't many people willing or able to fund RL clubs especially in League 1. My feeling with Skolars is the chancers who decided to announce they were taking over completely derailed the season. Expected investment never came and consequently Skolars have just treaded water. 

I think your feeling is completely accurate! 

• Like 2

Hate to say this but Skolars should compete in the Southern Conference League and rebuild. Looking at the last team weeks  sheet there was 7 players who brought through by Hemel Stags. If they played for Hemel they would be the dominant force in the community league, plus they are one of most financial stable clubs around. Matched the £90,000  granted from Sport England. Now relaying a new pitch with new drainage, an leveling the pitch. Have also heard RFL use marketing materials at club.

3 hours ago, newbe said:

Hate to say this but Skolars should compete in the Southern Conference League and rebuild. Looking at the last team weeks  sheet there was 7 players who brought through by Hemel Stags. If they played for Hemel they would be the dominant force in the community league, plus they are one of most financial stable clubs around. Matched the £90,000  granted from Sport England. Now relaying a new pitch with new drainage, an leveling the pitch. Have also heard RFL use marketing materials at club.

This would be the Hemel who didn't manage to get a team out for a single match in either competition they entered last year?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Derwent said:

Meanwhile, there’s another game in L1 tonight - Oldham 22 Workington 12 at half time (damn those 300 mile midweek round trips eh ?)

Whereas Skolars would have had close on 450 miles to go not counting the distances within London the players have to travel to get on the coach and then get home in the early hours of the morning. No doubt Town's players will have the same issue in the Greater Workington metropolis

7 minutes ago, Jeff Stein said:

Whereas Skolars would have had close on 450 miles to go not counting the distances within London the players have to travel to get on the coach and then get home in the early hours of the morning. No doubt Town's players will have the same issue in the Greater Workington metropolis

They have the same issue of being part-time players asked to take time off from their main jobs to travel midweek.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

2 hours ago, gogledd said:

I didn't expect that in the circumstances.

I'm sure Rochdale would have wanted to play the game instead, seeing as if they were to make the play-offs they would be looking to win that match by 50 points plus - Skolars have lost by more than 50 twice this year too.

If Rochdale beat Cornwall by a big score and just fail to make the play-offs on points difference, this decision could be controversial.

Beyond which, this means that Rochdale have only had 8 home league matches all season.

Edited by Barley Mow