Widnes Away

RogerT

This coming weekend Batley are away to Widnes who's going.

I am booked on the Woodman Bus, lets get as many bodies as we can over there for the teams sake, I have got over the last weekends match.

If it's the same as last year you can pay on the day at the ticket ###### sports shop at the ground.

Have to agree DF. Yes, we've shaken off some bad results in the past and come up with a performance which makes a mockery of the bad stuff, but I just think that we're carrying too many tired and exhausted bodies ( not their faults, I'm sure we would all agree there) to compete with a team who have rediscovered some form. HOWEVER, we CAN rediscover some of our own form during this match and keep it going into Whitehaven. That will then lead us into York then onto Newcastle. Fixtures for Bradford, Widnes, London and Halifax could all prove vital but IF we can win 3 we're still in the 6.

• Like 2

Tough call this one! Widnes had a few wins we've had a few loses! I'm sure the boys will know that last week's game wasn't good enough and I'm sure it will have hurt there pride! I'm also sure we won't see the same thing this week, they know how important this game is we've been in the top 6 all season and I'm sure that's where they want to stay, this could be a close one, hope we get a decent ref and our old boy gilmore doesn't take us to the cleaners! GOOD LUCK BOYS! I'll be listening in! 

Edited by The scrim reaper

I agree with PD, it’s all about re finding some kind of form this week, play with spirit and compete for 80 minutes. It might not be enough on Sunday, but it will give us something to take into those last 3 games, all of which are winnable. I think we only need 2 wins to scrape in as London and Widnes have some tough fixtures. Last chance saloon for me this one. I’ll be there.

• Like 1

The lads just need a rest. Played, trained and travelled every week against teams that have had weekends off. A victim of our own success you could say. That coupled with a limited squad availability due to injury, squad depth etc can lead us to understand this dip in performance in the latter stages of this season. We'll also have a couple players that have played every game this season (and trained every night in between). I do think though that our form is better away this season, so providing we can keep the main men quiet for Widnes, then I am hopeful of a win, so long as we have learnt from our blatant repeated mistakes over the past 2 games.

• Like 1

POOR! Listened to the game on the radio sounded as tho we had more than enough field position, and possession to win that game against a not very good widnes! Totally lacking ideas on how to break down the opposition line all I heard from the commentary was batley playing one man rugby! Constantly trying to barge over the line,we are just making it far too easy for teams, when we are just spilling up the same thing week after week! If we are lucky we might get to 6 again if we win our remaining games but is there any point? 

Next Sunday is a must win 4 pointer. Lose, it's over, but better rugby has to be played, if it's still in us. We were better with White at 6 and Meadows off the bench, he's not a hooker, different mentality.

4 minutes ago, phildog said:

Next Sunday is a must win 4 pointer. Lose, it's over, but better rugby has to be played, if it's still in us. We were better with White at 6 and Meadows off the bench, he's not a hooker, different mentality.

I agree. When Meadows comes on then move White to ball playing 13, as per last year. Also, Woods dip in form not helped us and keeping White on the sidelines for 30mins. We weren't winning it up the middle so the extra ball player could have got us width to get on the outside.

5 minutes ago, Keep The Faith said:

Effort and commitment was there no execution can say anything about white and meadows it’s the other bloke , which is woods it’s the same kick pass to every set clubs must be laughing when they play us 

Good point , very poor replacement for Gilmore 

• Like 1

Massive rebuild required, one or 2 incomers like normal won't restore this. We need our own full back (it could be McGowan if Giants would let him go) pace on the wings, more creativity, big, younger, running forwards and taking back pack dominance. Not much to ask eh? 2 have left, some more really should be asking if they can carry on and add anything more. Family only takes you so far, family can let you down. We need in, my opinion, 8 new players just to replace ones who are at the end, that's before we even look at other squad members. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Keep The Faith said:

Effort and commitment was there no execution can say anything about white and meadows it’s the other bloke , which is woods it’s the same kick pass to every set clubs must be laughing when they play us 

Even the commentator was saying on the radio on our last plays wheres woods! so predictable! All he does is pass or hoof it the air, doesn't read the game or  ever take the line on twice we had a 3 on 4 overlap and he kicked the ball, when no one was expecting it! Everyone said he was poor when he started playing for us, he had a bit of a spell where he went a few games OK and he was a world beater, no he's as bad as I always said he was creates nothing, and offers nothing to the team in my eyes! 

• Like 1

Not sure we can take much from today except a bit of spirit in defeat. Never looked like scoring and too many last tackle barges towards the line. Our try came from one of our few attempts to pass it through the hands. Big mistake not taking the 2 points on offer just after HT and get level, but no guarantee we’d have kicked it this season as we have no consistency there.

Not sure where we go from here, but our recent performance levels don’t warrant a play off place. After the last 3 years I can’t write this squad off just yet, but only a complete transformation in 3 games will do.

48 minutes ago, LuckyDog said:

Not sure we can take much from today except a bit of spirit in defeat. Never looked like scoring and too many last tackle barges towards the line. Our try came from one of our few attempts to pass it through the hands. Big mistake not taking the 2 points on offer just after HT and get level, but no guarantee we’d have kicked it this season as we have no consistency there.

Not sure where we go from here, but our recent performance levels don’t warrant a play off place. After the last 3 years I can’t write this squad off just yet, but only a complete transformation in 3 games will do.

The 2 for me was wide out wouldn’t of even gone dead with efforts this year we don’t have a recognised kicker unless Hooley is with us 

it was either woods or Morton but instead meadows did okay and stuck with it 

I thought we had a big chance in the 2nd half but meadows couldn’t collect if we’d held on I bet we would of hung on 

Agree, need a competent goal kicker, no, not a competent one, a better than competent one. It wouldn't be fair on here to make lists of who should go, we all have differing opinions but we must surely agree that the changes have to wide-ranging and effective if we're not to slide down the league pecking order.