Sunday 10th Sept: L1 Semi Final: Oldham V North Wales: KO 3.00pm, Boundary Park, Oldham

jroyales

1 hour ago, sheddingswasus said:

Mike Ford said on his interview on Radio Manchester that the coaching opportunity was what attracted them

Didn't hear it myself but makes perfect sense if that's where they see their career path. Also for Turner there is the appeal of appearing for his hometown club.

16 hours ago, ManchesterYed said:

We seem to fall to pieces when Ellis and Wilkinson went off injured I think it was 12-0 up. 

slater should of been on the bench over Paga, he probably cost us the game with the incident at the end and again seem to be playing for himself continually going alone  at the wrong times or when the pass was a better option. Wonder what happened to him since the ban?

Looking forward to the direction which the club is going in next year, but serious questions need to be asked of what as gone on in the last 3 games and since littler left ? Been nothing short of a debacle. 

over to you Ford, everyone in Oldham backs you 

From what I have heard Ellis pulled up in training on Friday with his hamstring , if true and I have no reason to doubt the info then it beggars belief why he was played . Your hamstring doesn't suddenly recover after 2 days , you have 1 or 2 people at fault on this then either Fordy for still picking him knowing this , Ellis for not being honest about his fitness or a bit of both . 
This would and should have given us Paga as half and Slater on the bench . 

On Paga since his ban he has played 4 of which won 1 , lost 3 . Now I don't know why he has been a different player (for the worse) since the ban , could it be being called our mercurial half back returns (Workington preview) went to his head , has he been told he has a contract next year so again feels as though he better than the rest , told he hasn't got a contract but needs to play for one , or simply tried too hard to make up for missing 4 games . Could be any of those or a combination of them . But also as has been said by more than just me he is no 9 and should not have been played there. 

Off the field and on to next season things do look really good and in a strange way does being in league 1 next season and hopefully storming the league bring in the attendances to hopefully retain them when it is so much harder in the Championship, no I'm not saying it was planned or wanted just maybe it is for the best .

1 minute ago, Rob95 said:

From what I have heard Ellis pulled up in training on Friday with his hamstring , if true and I have no reason to doubt the info then it beggars belief why he was played . Your hamstring doesn't suddenly recover after 2 days , you have 1 or 2 people at fault on this then either Fordy for still picking him knowing this , Ellis for not being honest about his fitness or a bit of both . 
This would and should have given us Paga as half and Slater on the bench . 

On Paga since his ban he has played 4 of which won 1 , lost 3 . Now I don't know why he has been a different player (for the worse) since the ban , could it be being called our mercurial half back returns (Workington preview) went to his head , has he been told he has a contract next year so again feels as though he better than the rest , told he hasn't got a contract but needs to play for one , or simply tried too hard to make up for missing 4 games . Could be any of those or a combination of them . But also as has been said by more than just me he is no 9 and should not have been played there. 

Off the field and on to next season things do look really good and in a strange way does being in league 1 next season and hopefully storming the league bring in the attendances to hopefully retain them when it is so much harder in the Championship, no I'm not saying it was planned or wanted just maybe it is for the best .

I think Paga needs a very strong, experienced coach and leadership team mates with credibility who will tell him exactly what to do or drop him. I agree he was outstanding early on but after the (ridiculous) ban has tried to win games all on his own and cost us dearly. He’s a talented young man and he could be very good indeed if he allowed someone to sort him out. 

Just a thought re. IMG & what is happening this time next year. Am I right in thinking there is only one more season of automatic promotion & relegation, ie 2024? In that case, assuming our new-look team wins promotion next year, we will be in the Championship in 2025 & can't be automatically relegated? 

Whereas for the 2 unfortunate teams (possibly Dewsbury and Doncaster) who are relegated next year, they will be stuck in League One in 2025 and can't be automatically promoted?

So I reckon we are better off in League One in 2024. 

Does that make sense or am I talking through my hat 😜

3 minutes ago, Jimmy DoNut said:

Just a thought re. IMG & what is happening this time next year. Am I right in thinking there is only one more season of automatic promotion & relegation, ie 2024? In that case, assuming our new-look team wins promotion next year, we will be in the Championship in 2025 & can't be automatically relegated? 

Whereas for the 2 unfortunate teams (possibly Dewsbury and Doncaster) who are relegated next year, they will be stuck in League One in 2025 and can't be automatically promoted?

So I reckon we are better off in League One in 2024. 

Does that make sense or am I talking through my hat 😜

I could be wrong but as I understand it there will be P & R between Championship and League 1 . Super League becomes a kind of closed shop although if a club finishes bottom in Super League and has a low grading then they could be replaced by a club with a higher grading from the Championship (maybe even same grading ?). 
I'm not sure if that's every year for Super League or a cycle of years , I try and keep up to date with this from press/TV coverage as I couldn't find the full IMG report  , but if I had I'm not sure I'd have had the time or inclination to read it 🤑

24 minutes ago, Rob95 said:

I could be wrong but as I understand it there will be P & R between Championship and League 1 . Super League becomes a kind of closed shop although if a club finishes bottom in Super League and has a low grading then they could be replaced by a club with a higher grading from the Championship (maybe even same grading ?). 
I'm not sure if that's every year for Super League or a cycle of years , I try and keep up to date with this from press/TV coverage as I couldn't find the full IMG report  , but if I had I'm not sure I'd have had the time or inclination to read it 🤑

Traditional P&R between League 1 and the Championship remains. This is the last season for getting promoted to SL purely through on the field results.  Only SL places are dependent on grading and this is done every year. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rob95 said:

It's a strange paradox isn't it it? Another advantage, it could be argued, is this league will have fewer games than the championship, and so with a much stronger side than now, we should be able to do better in the challenge cup. Fewer league games equals more recovery time. 

On the topic of Stuart littler, I started to have doubts following the lock lane debacle. I gave him the benefit of the doubt. But tbh he had to go.

• Like 5

I’ve really enjoyed watching Paga play, but the melee he started when we should have had a scrum, deep in their half, minutes left to play.. that totally killed us. Crusaders had cut through us throughout the second half, and to give them the field position from a penalty that late-on… suicide.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, sheddingswasus said:

The reality is season 2025 will look much different below SL. If SL remains 12 teams the likelihood is two divisions of 12. Whether this is in conferences or on ability remains to be seen 

Why?

Who has said this?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.