The 2024 Squad

Crown Flatter

Retained:

Jimmy Beckett  (Announced 29.9.23) 2nd year of two year deal)

Elliott Morris.       (As above)

Davey Dixon         (As above)

Bailey O’Connor (29.9.23)

Brad Graham      (3.10.23)

Owen Restall       (5.10.23) 

Edited by Crown Flatter
  • Like 3
Legs, Dews, Legs.

I will not be signing for 2024, but will buy a season ticket. I feel that fans need to know this early in case their hopes are raised too high.

On another note, we have only just appointed the coach; the C1 season has not yet ended; whatever some fans think about it we strive to maintain the honorable stance of not announcing new signings from any other club before they have the chance to make their own announcements. Talks with our own squad players are currently underway and some offers have been made.

Some of our fans, especially the aged ones, need to develop some patience and remember when all they could hope for was a teasing sentence in the Reporter or a terse comment from Tom Clarke. I expect our PR team to drip information out as it seems appropriate; concentrate on Strictly in the meantime.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

31 minutes ago, Hugh Jarce said:

After last nights defeat to York, there maybe a few over the valley looking for pastures new?

Yep, the dogs will be shedding a few to make way for some of our better players. Batley - the new Featherstone. 🤬

• Like 2
Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

36 minutes ago, Hugh Jarce said:

After last nights defeat to York, there maybe a few over the valley looking for pastures new?

If i had to take any none Dewsbury players from Batley it would have to be Alistair Leak for his experience at championship level and at 31 years old still got plenty left in the tank  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hugh Jarce said:

Hmm!

I am old enough to remember when fading Dewsbury players moved to Batley, not vice versa.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

7 hours ago, Hugh Jarce said:

Most likely being put out to grass, don't you think? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Paul Sykes!!! ... another year or what??  I think he is the best tackler in the game and whilst his pace is not what it was his game management and understanding could still be a great asset ... What do you all think?  For me I would like to see him another season, maybe playing loose forward... like they used to do in the good old days!!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, the old nine ole said:

Paul Sykes!!! ... another year or what??  I think he is the best tackler in the game and whilst his pace is not what it was his game management and understanding could still be a great asset ... What do you all think?  For me I would like to see him another season, maybe playing loose forward... like they used to do in the good old days!!

I was talking to him at the presentation night and he said he was carrying on playing. I for one would like to see him stay plus I think he’d be good for Dale to have in the dressing room.

2 hours ago, the old nine ole said:

24 minutes ago, graham fisher said:

I was talking to him at the presentation night and he said he was carrying on playing. I for one would like to see him stay plus I think he’d be good for Dale to have in the dressing room.

He had a great season this year and don’t think he’d let us down in the Championship even at his age. 
I would like to see him go with us again. 

• Like 1
Legs, Dews, Legs.

It looks like Dale Ferguson becoming coach will have a huge influence on keeping the current squad in place. At least on this forum losing the squad seemed to be a big fear and that doesn’t appear to be the case.

But is that good news?

This squad did amazing but there was a lot of signs of weakness too. That will no doubt get found out much, much more in the Championship. 

Would more fresh blood have been an advantage?

TBH though, and very understandably, I guess funds at Dewsbury are always going to be the main factor each off season.

11 hours ago, RugbyPowelly said:

Would more fresh blood have been an advantage?

TBH though, and very understandably, I guess funds at Dewsbury are always going to be the main factor each off season.

I said on quite a few occasions last season that some of these players aren’t good enough for the championship if we get there and I still feel the same.We do need to strengthen and I’m sure Dale as got his targets but I’m happy with the re signings so far,apparently a lot of clubs were sniffing around,especially Beckett and O’Connor.

I think this season, many clubs will find recruitment difficult, as many clubs just don't have the money.

This won't just be a Dewsbury problem.

Players might need to review their wage demands quite significantly.

• Like 2

"Life's tough.......It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

2 hours ago, Hugh Jarce said:

I think this season, many clubs will find recruitment difficult, as many clubs just don't have the money.

This won't just be a Dewsbury problem.

Players might need to review their wage demands quite significantly.

Very true, and may also apply in SL if stories about further cuts in their money are correct. Of course some players might quite reasonably decide it isn't worth the candle and pack in or go to RU.

• Like 1