2024 Transfer Tracker

16 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

It was telling today that with Nakubuwai absent it was by far the smallest drop off in performance of the year when the interchanges happened. Trout, Norman, Holmes, Hughes and Davis all ahead of him in the pecking order for me. Get him out to a championship club(which is his level) ASAP and use that quota spot on someone that can actually impact a game.

Absolutely. The injuries have given him a chance to step up, like Harrison and Bullock have done at Warrington, he’s just not done it. He’d do a good job in the Championship but he’s not mobile enough for the pace of Super League. 

Need to go and get a full back or stand off, because I’m not convinced that McNamara is ready for a long run of games at 6. 

9 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

It was telling today that with Nakubuwai absent it was by far the smallest drop off in performance of the year when the interchanges happened. Trout, Norman, Holmes, Hughes and Davis all ahead of him in the pecking order for me. Get him out to a championship club(which is his level) ASAP and use that quota spot on someone that can actually impact a game.

David Armstrong from the Newcastle Knights is in the headlights again, Mr Lam says it unlikely anytime soon, so I expect him to be here in a couple or 3 weeks time!

9 hours ago, phiggins said:

Need to go and get a full back or stand off, because I’m not convinced that McNamara is ready for a long run of games at 6. 

Most definitely, he is nowhere near ready, perhaps that was one of Tony Smith's better calls ?

35 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Most definitely, he is nowhere near ready, perhaps that was one of Tony Smith's better calls ?

He’ll get a run in the side for at least a few weeks now, so will get something of a chance to hopefully prove us wrong. 

21 minutes ago, phiggins said:

He’ll get a run in the side for at least a few weeks now, so will get something of a chance to hopefully prove us wrong. 

I know he is relatively young at 22, but there is just something in watching him that says to me he may just not be SL quality, you *kinda get a good indication by that age. I just base that on expierience of watching many player's come through over many years, hope to be proved wrong though. 

*Awaits people to give me examples of late developers.

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I know he is relatively young at 22, but there is just something in watching him that says to me he may just not be SL quality, you *kinda get a good indication by that age. I just base that on expierience of watching many player's come through over many years, hope to be proved wrong though. 

I tend to agree. But unless we make a signing soon, I think he’ll be the best option, considering alternatives would be to move Hardaker or Hanley to full back and bring in Chamberlain or Nisbet. Feared that we would regret letting Mellor go, and I think he’d have improved us at 9 or 6. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

The goal for recruitment for this and the next couple of years is to bring the age of the squad down and find players than can be the nucleus of the squad for the next 5 years or so, some signings will work and others won't but we've definitely found a few this year in Trout, Norman and Hanley which is a big plus.

On McNamara, it's still very early days, he's young and new to the club. I think he's been relatively solid if unspectacular but when we have Lam and Moylan running the show that's pretty much going to be his role. I'd rather us show a bit of patience with the younger players rather than casting them off too quickly as we have done in the past with the likes of Bullock, Hankinson etc. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

David Armstrong from the Newcastle Knights is in the headlights again, Mr Lam says it unlikely anytime soon, so I expect him to be here in a couple or 3 weeks time!

Read that the Knights first choice full back picked up an injury so that one would be pretty much dead. Similar to the Tristan Sailor pursuit. All would’ve been much easier if we had an overseas spot free!

1 hour ago, LeytherRob said:

The goal for recruitment for this and the next couple of years is to bring the age of the squad down and find players than can be the nucleus of the squad for the next 5 years or so, some signings will work and others won't but we've definitely found a few this year in Trout, Norman and Hanley which is a big plus.

On McNamara, it's still very early days, he's young and new to the club. I think he's been relatively solid if unspectacular but when we have Lam and Moylan running the show that's pretty much going to be his role. I'd rather us show a bit of patience with the younger players rather than casting them off too quickly as we have done in the past with the likes of Bullock, Hankinson etc. 

If I was Ben McNamara, I’d be spending as much time as I can working on my goal kicking. If he can establish himself as the goal kicker and his defence holds up (25 tackles yesterday, albeit he also missed 3), then he’ll keep his place in the side and buy himself time to work on his playmaking 

21 minutes ago, phiggins said:

If I was Ben McNamara, I’d be spending as much time as I can working on my goal kicking. If he can establish himself as the goal kicker and his defence holds up (25 tackles yesterday, albeit he also missed 3), then he’ll keep his place in the side and buy himself time to work on his playmaking 

Had Ben Reynolds stayed, I expect we would have won yesterday.

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Had Ben Reynolds stayed, I expect we would have won yesterday.

A lot being made of the goal kicking yesterday. Moylan missed one from the touch line and slipped for another. But it is a potential route for McNamara to cement a place in the team.

Reynolds could just have easily been the one to make a mistake in attack or defence which cost us. His goal kicking was very good, general play, not so good. 

4 hours ago, phiggins said:

I think Ben McNamara is a better kicker than Moylan in terms of goals, but I think they are persisting with Moylan as he's the one that's going to be playing week in week out so needs the rhythm of regular goal kicking. He hasn't been that bad to be fair, just a bit inconsistent.  

2 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

I think Ben McNamara is a better kicker than Moylan in terms of goals, but I think they are persisting with Moylan as he's the one that's going to be playing week in week out so needs the rhythm of regular goal kicking. He hasn't been that bad to be fair, just a bit inconsistent.  

If that is the case, then I think they’re overthinking it a bit. If McNamara is clearly a better goal kicker, he should be given the job 

Busy morning today:

•Rowley move to Hull getting closer

•Broadbent to Hull KR/Corey Hall and Louis Senior to Cas all in season loans

•Tom Briscoe to Hull and Darnell McIntosh to Leigh swap on loan to become permanent.

Happy with the 3rd as a Leigh fan, McIntosh provides more cover at Fullback which were short on and Briscoe isn't going to be playing now Hanley has emerged. Not a massive improvement by any stretch, but a step forward.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Busy morning today:

•Tom Briscoe to Hull and Darnell McIntosh to Leigh swap on loan to become permanent.

Happy with the 3rd as a Leigh fan, McIntosh provides more cover at Fullback which were short on and Briscoe isn't going to be playing now Hanley has emerged. Not a massive improvement by any stretch, but a step forward.

I wonder Broadbent is going to slot into the Hull KR 17. Also Castleford losing one of their best players. Seems a strange signing for both teams. 

8 minutes ago, NRLandSL said:

I wonder Broadbent is going to slot into the Hull KR 17. Also Castleford losing one of their best players. Seems a strange signing for both teams. 

Broadbent been terrible this season. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, muckymunksy said:

Broadbent been terrible this season. 

Didn’t know that, only watched him play a few times this year and he looked alright, definitely looks out of place at fullback though.

33 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Busy morning today:

I'm finding it a bit of a puzzler to be honest. Big questions about McIntosh are, is he any good at full back? Would he get in the team on the wing? Are we likely to be able to keep Hanley next year and beyond?

Just now, phiggins said:

I'm finding it a bit of a puzzler to be honest. Big questions about McIntosh are, is he any good at full back? Would he get in the team on the wing? Are we likely to be able to keep Hanley next year and beyond?

Would be incredibly surprised if Hanley didn't stay considering he seems pretty loyal to Lam. McIntosh has played a fair bit of fullback over the years for Hudds and Hull and he's 7 years younger than Briscoe. I don't see this as a guaranteed 13 player on big wages, more increasing strength in depth at 2 positions. As I said, not a massive improvement but a step in the right direction.

I’m sure I saw that Broadbent was initially announced by Hull KR this morning as having signed a deal until 2027 before it was amended to a season-long loan. Is Opacic’s contract up at the end of the season by any chance? 

25 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Would be incredibly surprised if Hanley didn't stay considering he seems pretty loyal to Lam. McIntosh has played a fair bit of fullback over the years for Hudds and Hull and he's 7 years younger than Briscoe. I don't see this as a guaranteed 13 player on big wages, more increasing strength in depth at 2 positions. As I said, not a massive improvement but a step in the right direction.

If it does create room on the salary cap, then it makes it a good deal for us. Will have to judge it in context of what other deals get done. Hopefully we can still offload Nakubuwai and then bring someone in that improves the starting 13.

5 minutes ago, phiggins said:

If it does create room on the salary cap, then it makes it a good deal for us. Will have to judge it in context of what other deals get done. Hopefully we can still offload Nakubuwai and then bring someone in that improves the starting 13.

I think even if it was an equivalent swap in terms of salary its a good deal for us considering McIntosh is younger and more versatile(covering wing, FB and centre). 

The latest development is Ed Chamberlain also off to Hull, which definitely suggests we're making some additional space so hopefully someone else coming in at some point soon.