2024 Transfer Tracker

3 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

I think even if it was an equivalent swap in terms of salary its a good deal for us considering McIntosh is younger and more versatile(covering wing, FB and centre). 

The latest development is Ed Chamberlain also off to Hull, which definitely suggests we're making some additional space so hopefully someone else coming in at some point soon.

Just seen that about Chamberlain. That one does make sense to me, he does need to be playing regularly, and it's not going to happen at Leigh now. In fact, if none of these deals were happening, I could see a situation where Briscoe would come in if one of our centres got injured, rather than Chamberlain. 

I’m assuming Tom Briscoe to be on inflated wages as he signed when we were in the championship, I would imagine there is quite a few who are paid over their market value, (Davis, Holmes. Hughes, Hardaker) who will naturally wash out and free up some cap space. I can’t see see many of these getting another contract with us.

Nakabuwai would do a job for Bradford or Featherstone, with Chamberlain going out aswell I’d agree it looks like some business is being done as Macintosh won’t be on Briscoe money.

27 minutes ago, binosh said:

I’m assuming Tom Briscoe to be on inflated wages as he signed when we were in the championship, I would imagine there is quite a few who are paid over their market value, (Davis, Holmes. Hughes, Hardaker) who will naturally wash out and free up some cap space. I can’t see see many of these getting another contract with us.

Nakabuwai would do a job for Bradford or Featherstone, with Chamberlain going out aswell I’d agree it looks like some business is being done as Macintosh won’t be on Briscoe money.

Hi Binosh, I thought Holmes played very well on Saturday and would go as far to say I would have him in the 2nd row with Kai before any of the others ag the moment.

As for McIntosh must say I didn't see that one coming, maybe get him in the centre ahead of Hardacre who is going backwards very quickly.

All my opinion of course.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Hi Binosh, I thought Holmes played very well on Saturday and would go as far to say I would have him in the 2nd row with Kai before any of the others ag the moment.

As for McIntosh must say I didn't see that one coming, maybe get him in the centre ahead of Hardacre who is going backwards very quickly.

All my opinion of course.

I dunno what people seem to have against Holmes, always plays well for us, has great pace still for a forward and our win % with him in the squad is much higher than without. He'd always be in my 17, whether it's 2nd row or prop.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, binosh said:

John Davidson reporting that Matt Davis is signing on to a new 2 year deal, doubt he'll be on particularly high wages and don't mind him sticking around as he's versatile and a work horse who always gives maximum effort.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

I dunno what people seem to have against Holmes, always plays well for us, has great pace still for a forward and our win % with him in the squad is much higher than without. He'd always be in my 17, whether it's 2nd row or prop.

I’ve nothing against Holmes I think he has been good but he was at Warrington on what I can only assume was a good contract. I was merely stating he will probably be on an inflated contract with Leigh that comes to an end this year as he signed when we were a championship team. We would have had to pay “overs” to get the signature.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

I think Holmes suffered from a perception of how many minutes that he can play last year, after moving to prop. When really it was just Lam's policy to have Amone, Mulhern and Asiata on for as long as possible. I'd like to see him stay, non-quota middles seem to be at a premium at the moment, but his age and injury record this year could make it difficult for the club to decide where to pitch any contract offer in terms of value and contract length. 

I suspect Hughes and Hardaker are the ones on big contracts. My guess would be Hughes will be offered reduced terms (whether he accepts them is another matter) while Hardaker will move on. 

12 hours ago, binosh said:

I’ve nothing against Holmes I think he has been good but he was at Warrington on what I can only assume was a good contract. I was merely stating he will probably be on an inflated contract with Leigh that comes to an end this year as he signed when we were a championship team. We would have had to pay “overs” to get the signature.

Possibly, but now it's more a question of what other offers he gets elsewhere, rather than his current contract. If he's on an inflated contract at Leigh, I can't see likes of Wakefield matching that. If Leigh offered reduced terms, it might be his best option.

7 minutes ago, phiggins said:

Possibly, but now it's more a question of what other offers he gets elsewhere, rather than his current contract. If he's on an inflated contract at Leigh, I can't see likes of Wakefield matching that. If Leigh offered reduced terms, it might be his best option.

Hopefully, he will be offered what he is worth to the team, at this moment in time I would say more than what some of the other back row forwards will be on.

35 minutes ago, phiggins said:

Money is no longer an issue at Wakefield , but i would hope we are not in the market for players like Holmes as we have higher ambitions

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

Money is no longer an issue at Wakefield , but i would hope we are not in the market for players like Holmes as we have higher ambitions

Yep, i worded it badly, but that was exactly why I don't think Wakefield would be going in with an overinflated offer for Holmes, rather than a suggestion that they couldn't match such an offer. You might make him an offer as a backup or bench prop, but your big offers are going to the likes of McMeeken and Johnstone.

On 23/04/2024 at 10:44, PREPOSTEROUS said:

Hall is a good young centre, shame Trinity lost him (again). 

Seems to have massively stalled after moving to KR though in his progress. We do have Pratt though who looks a real gem of a centre. 

19 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

As a warrington fan, I've got lots.

1 hour ago, Trojan Horse said:

Seems to have massively stalled after moving to KR though in his progress. We do have Pratt though who looks a real gem of a centre. 

Pratt is actually useless and should be sent back on loan to York ASAP, if you ask me... 

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Barry Badrinath said:

As a warrington fan, I've got lots.

Aye but that would be pointed at most of your squad last year, a different environment, different teammates, and a different coach did him the world of good. 

To be absolutely honest with you Barry when it was announced Leigh had brought him to the LSV I thought really,  why, he's bloody hopeless but he was one of our go to players through the season, now you can have your ex captain Jack Hughes back in a flash.

Edited by Harry Stottle

10 hours ago, phiggins said:

I suppose it’s how you define inflated contract. Is it high compared to the Championship but middling at best in SL?

Also wasn’t he released early by Warrington? If so there may have been some sort of pay off involved with his current contract being average.

3 hours ago, Barry Badrinath said:

I've no idea what position he plays,  I'm sure he was a 6 at Leeds but he's been all over thr shop this last 2 years

That’s been part of his problem. He’s played at 1, 3, 4 & 6 (no doubt with a spell on the wing thrown in) which can’t be easy for someone trying to establish himself in a team. He looks like a promising centre but needs a decent run in one position 

5 hours ago, Trojan Horse said:

Hall has suffered from a lack of playing time. I know there were reasons for last season but he has been crowded out this time around. Fortunately he is young enough to develop if he gets a run of games under his belt

13 hours ago, LeeF said:

I suppose it’s how you define inflated contract. Is it high compared to the Championship but middling at best in SL?

Also wasn’t he released early by Warrington? If so there may have been some sort of pay off involved with his current contract being average.

I think there are two elements to it. First one being that in 2022, Leigh likely had to make very good offers to players to attract them, as simply matching offers would see players go elsewhere. That is likely still true now, but may have been more of a factor while we were trying to recruit a SL squad while still in the championship.

When it comes to renewals, I think overinflated wages means that they are earning too much for the role in the side that person is playing. For example, if Jack Hughes in on a big contract (I don't know if he is or he isn't). He was signed as a first choice second row. He's lost that place and is now a back up / fill in prop forward. Would imagine that money would be better spent elsewhere.

• Like 1

On 21/04/2024 at 11:34, phiggins said:

Read that the Knights first choice full back picked up an injury so that one would be pretty much dead. Similar to the Tristan Sailor pursuit. All would’ve been much easier if we had an overseas spot free!

Just watching the Matty John's Show, David Armstrong has just had a piece on him 'bigging' him up to the rafters, saying how good he is and what an influence he has on the team, if he does all that whilst coming into the Newcastle team, Leigh had better set their sites elsewhere.

• Haha 1