Who is the scariest player you've ever seen play RL?

On 02/11/2023 at 09:39, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

I'll throw Ronnie Wileman into the mix, there was a very scary story about him circulating in the late eighties that to this day I only hope wasn't true. Mal Reilly - definitely on the list of those to avoid when they'd had a few sherbets!

Ronnie Wileman? Do tell.

I guess most of the replies are from a spectators point of view as most players mentioned are forwards with reputations. 

As an outside center / winger a slightly different point of view of "scary".

Les Dyl and John Bevan are both players you didn't enjoy playing against as a nineteen year old just making your way in the game.

Both had legs like tree trunks and were strong runners and Bevan had a nasty streak to him.

Ask yourself what you would do with Mal Maninga running at you for 80 minutes🙃

Scary to face but you had a job to do.🤣🤣

Frank Foster a great fella who coached me at two clubs. 

Edited by yanto
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, yanto said:

I guess most of the replies are from a spectators point of view as most players mentioned are forwards with reputations. 

As an outside center / winger a slightly different point of view of "scary".

Les Dyl and John Bevan are both players you didn't enjoy playing against as a nineteen year old just making your way in the game.

Both had legs like tree trunks and were strong runners and Bevan had a nasty streak to him.

Ask yourself what you would do with Mal Maninga running at you for 80 minutes🙃

Scary to face but you had a job to do.🤣🤣

Frank Foster a great fella who coached me at two clubs. 

I remember when Oldham folded and most of there players went to Higginshaw. Was a bit of a nightmare to find Charlie McCalister playing centre for them. Another one with tree trunk legs. 

• Like 1

There used to be a site that sold RL-themed t-shirts and one of them had the image of Des Drummond looking lairy with the slogan "Line 'im up, Dessie". :kolobok_biggrin:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson