Troy Grant on LinkedIn, critical of England support for Tonga Series and other interesting stuff

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

You think there are wealthy Americans who want to invest in international Rugby league? If there are it would be great but I can’t see it. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

You think there are wealthy Americans who want to invest in international Rugby league? If there are it would be great but I can’t see it. 

They are out there just takes brokers to find them.

NY Giants would cost you 4 Billion US

AFC Bournemouth went for around 110 million pounds 

There are Americans out there with a spare 5 10 20 50 100 500 1 billion  that would love and understand our undervalued game in a second .

One of our top SL clubs was for sale for 5 million 2 years ago 

P

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

There are Americans out there with a spare 5 10 20 50 100 500 1 billion  that would love and understand our undervalued game in a second .

Nonsense on stilts 

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

P

NY Giants and Bournemouth are clubs with turnover, a fan base and a guaranteed number of home games a year at their home grounds.

What would international Rugby League offer to a potential investor/buyer (if buying international Rugby League is even a thing)?

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

P

Someone buying Bournemouth for £110 million has the carrot of getting them to the Premier League and getting a minimum £100+ million in TV money. Many football clubs have also gone up significantly in value because of such rewards and many owners have been quids in.

A SL club selling for £5 million and getting just over £1 million in Sky money doesn't really seem too good in comparison.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

NY Giants and Bournemouth are clubs with turnover, a fan base and a guaranteed number of home games a year at their home grounds.

What would international Rugby League offer to a potential investor/buyer (if buying international Rugby League is even a thing)?

I mean TECHNICALLY...  I guess not technically.. There could be people out there - We did have that one US guy that did the Eng NZ game (I know how that turned out). So you never know.

I highly doubt they would be interested in the English game or internationals in their current guise though - I could see a US investor getting involved in the NRL potentially after a few years of them in Vegas. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Click said:

I mean TECHNICALLY...  I guess not technically.. There could be people out there - We did have that one US guy that did the Eng NZ game (I know how that turned out). So you never know.

I highly doubt they would be interested in the English game or internationals in their current guise though - I could see a US investor getting involved in the NRL potentially after a few years of them in Vegas. 

Jason Moore was an Aussie

9 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Only way forward is to sell the international game off to private investors with an interest in making it work.

I don’t understand how that can work. There is just too much reliance on the support of one partner which at a guess contracts approx. 75% - 80% of the players at the last World Cup.

There would be no room to move the international window to a more desirable mid year date. 

I don’t really understand what an investor would do, or would be allowed to do differently to what the NRL do already.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I don’t understand how that can work. There is just too much reliance on the support of one partner which at a guess contracts approx. 75% - 80% of the players at the last World Cup.

There would be no room to move the international window to a more desirable mid year date. 

I don’t really understand what an investor would do, or would be allowed to do differently to what the NRL do already.

At the present moment in time - Absolutely nothing can change what the NRL does other than the NRL, and they won't change anything unless there is a significant amount of money involved.

Who knows what might happen in 5 + years of the NRL playing games in the US - Perhaps they may want to re-create an interentional in Vegas mid-season, if there is enough money involved, then that is the only way they would be interested.

There is money in the US for sports, and comparatively RL isn't close to what their sports deal with money wise. I do think it is a good idea for the NRL to be trying to break into the USA through the betting market, it's up to the RFL to try and piggyback off that the best they can. 

There arent enough professional leagues around the world to move the power from Aus.

Australia are anomaly in the sense that the game skyrocketed and grew beyond the means of any other leagues globally and is continuing to do so without anyone to stop them or catching up.

The only way you could change that powershift is by making the international almost completely amateur. 

It would take massive balls to do it and you could only do it with billionaire backing.

You could then run your own world cup, international tournaments. It would see massive growth globally but would lose an Elite level of play but would level the playing field. You could level the playing field by not having contracted NRL or Super League Players e.g NZ domestic players and Aus NSW or Q cup level players. 

The only problem would be little to none tv rights etc, but in 50 years time you would have a massive global game independant of the professional leagues.

But if I was an investor I would invest in World 9's. You could contract players that arent contracted to professional leagues and build your own tv deal and calendar. Would take abit of investment but you could build the brand in areas the NRL or SL cant reach. This would do far more to grow the profile of the game globally. There would be a ton of Championship or League 1 players you could sign and NZ domestic and Aus NSW cup or Q cup level, sign someone like Shaun Johnson and Sam tomkins to build the profile. start with 12 nations and then eventually expand to 16 teams over 10 weekend calendar. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, eal said:

The telling thing is that the President of the IRL is basically someone fitting the job in around their actual job. I can't imagine the heads of many other international sporting bodies are working evenings and weekends in the office around another job!

This is just not true. Grant was the Chairman. A job whereby he’s paid very little to attend board meetings and attend events and influence people. Danny Kazanjian is the Secretary General and employed full time. He was previously the head of the RLEF. The IRL has other employees too, including Remond Safi (Middle East Africa), Romeo Monteith (Americas), Jovan from Serbia (Central & Eastern Europe) and Jeremy from Australia (Asia-Pacific). 

Typical RL. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Believe what you want they are out there 

21 hours ago, gingerjon said:

They very obviously aren’t.

It's not a case of them being out there, plenty of wealthy people are.  It is a case of whether they will want to put their money in our sport. 

There are wealthy people involved.  Mike Danson is worth £1.17 billion.  What can he do with that in our sport... he ain't rubbing shoulders with the A list celeb's on his yaught when Wigan play Cas.

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

31 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

It's not a case of them being out there, plenty of wealthy people are.  It is a case of whether they will want to put their money in our sport. 

There are wealthy people involved.  Mike Danson is worth £1.17 billion.  What can he do with that in our sport... he ain't rubbing shoulders with the A list celeb's on his yaught when Wigan play Cas.

Mike Danson isn’t an American who has invested in international rugby league.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Probably not on his yaught, but possibly on his yacht.

That actually is a reason it's difficult attracting investors. People like the Glazers and various Sheikhs couldn't care less about the sport they're  investing in, its about reflected glory, rubbing shoulders with the celebs, being chairman of a club champions of Europe, millions of fans loving you,  or even hating you, on the bandwagon of being a rich somebody, rather than a nobody, RL has limited opportunities for that.

Edited by HawkMan