The true meaning of English phrases

On 26/11/2023 at 12:52, Chanter said:

The usual one for me is when someone asks 'How are you?'

For most, the usual answer is 'alright' or 'fine' when some days I'm sure, some people are not. lol

I am sure you are right, Chanter, that people will not normally launch into a litany of how they are really feeling, JonM excepted...obviously!

However, I wish people did really still say 'alright' or 'fine'.  Nowadays, 'I'm good, thanks' seems to have become prevalent.  One of these days when I am in a more crotchety mood than usual, I think I will respond with, "Actually, I was asking after your health, not inquiring how virtuous you consider yourself to be!", but I know I am becoming an increasingly grumpy old s*d!

• Haha 2

"Get over yourself"

Try working that out if you're a 'foriner'.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

On 27/11/2023 at 16:07, CanaBull said:

Thankfully not, but he’s the soggy crust on a particularly unpleasant political class pie.  We’re about a decade behind the UK generally in outlook so expect it to get worse too. 

I have met Doug Ford and Dalton McGuinty who were both uncomfortably overly sweaty.  A few mayors as well, but there are few politicians over here that you don’t feel somewhat soiled and need to have a good wash after meeting. 

4 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

but I know I am becoming an increasingly grumpy old s*d!

The phrase "Odds and Sods" is a synonym of "Bits and Bobs".

Nowadays voters across the Western world are participants in a parlour game, trying to work out who are the odds and who are the sods.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

I am sure you are right, Chanter, that people will not normally launch into a litany of how they are really feeling, JonM excepted...obviously!

However, I wish people did really still say 'alright' or 'fine'.  Nowadays, 'I'm good, thanks' seems to have become prevalent.  One of these days when I am in a more crotchety mood than usual, I think I will respond with, "Actually, I was asking after your health, not inquiring how virtuous you consider yourself to be!", but I know I am becoming an increasingly grumpy old s*d!

A fine aspiration. 👍

• Haha 1

Once had a Filipino friend staying with us and was attempting to explain why being called a b*stard was being, well, a b*stard whilst being called a right b*stard meant you were a great guy who would be welcome to marry my sister.  Even tried sticking on a flowchart but it got too complicated LOL.  

Not sure if it's a peculiarly English language thing for opposites to actual words being the true meaning, or whether it's an English/British and derivative cultural thing but definitely a nightmare for a non-native speaker!

1 hour ago, Wolford6 said:

Spoken in English but a Welsh turn of phrase.

Of someone who has made a stupid decision or who has genuine mental heath issues: " He haven't got all his chairs at home"

*I believe this is Danish*

When describing someone who is overly careful: "He indicates in car parks".

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

One I've just found looking up something else: "der Schattenparker"

Literally means, "someone who parks their car in the shade".

Usage: You're a weakling.

https://www.thelocal.de/20190711/german-word-of-the-day-der-schattenparker

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 hours ago, CanaBull said:

Once had a Filipino friend staying with us and was attempting to explain why being called a b*stard was being, well, a b*stard whilst being called a right b*stard meant you were a great guy who would be welcome to marry my sister.  Even tried sticking on a flowchart but it got too complicated LOL.  

Not sure if it's a peculiarly English language thing for opposites to actual words being the true meaning, or whether it's an English/British and derivative cultural thing but definitely a nightmare for a non-native speaker!

This is something I have found foreigners find hard to understand in British culture, essentially using insults to compliment someone. It is rooted in the idea that if you are able to insult someone (like calling someone a b*stard) and them to not take offence and know you don't mean it then it shows the strength of your friendship. I often call friends knob heads for example but they know I don't actually think they are one. 

13 hours ago, gingerjon said:

*I believe this is Danish*

When describing someone who is overly careful: "He indicates in car parks".

I'm picturing you hearing this on commentary for Handball while they are bemoaning a player for not taking a shot. 

"I can't believe he didn't take that shot, I bet he indicates in car parks!"