Batley game Boxing Day.

graham fisher

45 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

A bit of devil's advocate there SJS. Refereeing involves nuance SJS as I'm sure that you know. Any referee will tell you that they could blow for an infringement every single minute but they don't (or didn't) preferring to have a quiet word on the run after the first infringement and promising to blow if it is repeated. Blowing for every single thing is my definition of pedantry.

Yes, I agree, to a point. But once the quiet word has been spoken, surely the referee needs to blow his whistle when the offence is repeated. And again for each repetition? Otherwise he's being inconsistent.

But I'll stop now, lest I be accused of pedantry.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur

3 hours ago, coolie said:

So it's pointless winning a game because it's a friendly

That's really stupid comment mate

Game management is game management, you learn how to close a game down for a victory

Regardless if it's a friendly or not game management is really important, kick a penalty from in the 20 to increase the score to "3 scores" is important when only 13 minutes to go, a friendly is the perfect opportunity to try this philosophy out. 

I'm just baffled by your comment

it's a pointless friendly in the end Coolie, even if it is Batley.  I'd much rather see the lads try out a few moves as opposed to checking if Callum can kick as well as PS.  

• Like 1

I cannot agree with DD on his comment that Batley were the better side, they had 60% of the possession, but couldn’t score until close to the end of the game when the Dewsbury players were on their knees from defending the line for umpteen tackles from Kendall’s continuous penalties against us (rightly or wrongly).

Apart from Kendall’s penchant for sticking to the laws of the game (aside from missing all but in forward pass, one such smack in front of the touch judge) I thought the match was a good tussle from two teams out to enjoy playing a game of rugby after a long break. It was end to end play on a dry day with a pitch  on what race goers might say was “good to soft”, or in my assumption, perfect condition. We scored two short range tries close to, or under the posts, by Ronan Dixon and Collinson, both converted, by Sykes and Turner respectively, but we should have kicked a penalty goal early in the first half and late in the second period, either of which would have us given us victory, had we taken the option (and they would have been converted had we done so). Batley’s tries came when Restall had the ball pinched from his grasp and the second from a barge close to the line in similar fashion to Dixon’s.

It was good to be there, to see a contested match,  curiously with no fighting for a derby, but a shoulder injury to Joe Summers, the lad looking in agony, did mar it somewhat and the opportunity to meet up again with friends, even those supporting our opponents.

• Like 2
Legs, Dews, Legs.

19 minutes ago, NickD said:

it's a pointless friendly in the end Coolie, even if it is Batley.  I'd much rather see the lads try out a few moves as opposed to checking if Callum can kick as well as PS.  

I think you are wrong Nck. I put in my prediction that most supporters want to see their team win and I stand by that, thus agreeing with Coolie in his comment. We should have kicked for goal when we had they chance; after all Batley tried it with their two attempts at one-pointers.

Legs, Dews, Legs.

17 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

I think you are wrong Nck. I put in my prediction that most supporters want to see their team win and I stand by that, thus agreeing with Coolie in his comment. We should have kicked for goal when we had they chance; after all Batley tried it with their two attempts at one-pointers.

Reckon the skipper and coaching team agreed with me so I'll take that.....😜

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, NickD said:

Reckon the skipper and coaching team agreed with me so I'll take that.....😜

I agree with you too. What I couldn't understand was, why the Dewsbury players didn't learn from the penalties? 

I could understand getting caught a couple of times early on, but surely the message should have sunk in after the first couple, but alas it didn't.

I actually applaud Kendall (for once) for sticking to it for the full 80 minutes. He blew them all for both teams, it is then up to the players to get it right. It isn't hard to play the ball with your foot.

It has annoyed me for years, when refs will blow something up once or twice early on, then forget about it for the rest of the game. 

However, I thought it spoiled the game, and cost you a very comfortable win. Dewsbury were much the better side on the day IMO. You moved up in defense far better than we did, and ran with more purpose whilst attacking, and created the only clean breaks in the game. I'm sincerely hoping Woods, Walshaw and Flynn can come in and produce miracles, because on that performance, both sides look like they are in for a very long season.

Considering the amount of position and possession we had, and could only muster 2 tries, one off a kick and barge over from close range is very concerning. We never really looked like creating an opening. Of course, credit must go to the defense, but we didn't look like we could open a bag of crisps, never mind a defense. There was no movement off the ball to distract defenders, or provide options for the ball carrier.

But the season is a good while off yet, and there's time for both teams to improve.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

But the season is a good while off yet, and there's time for both teams to improve.

I think this is the salient point. We looked what we are, a relatively new team looking for a way to play - l think we improved in the second half to an extent. We lacked a kicking game, and some grunt and energy up front. Saying that, l thought our three best players were forwards. 

Dewsbury certainly looked more of a unit and played as a team.

The question now is, which team has the greater improvement in them? Hopefully,  some of the rumoured new signings might provide that for us.

1 hour ago, distantdog said:

I think this is the salient point. We looked what we are, a relatively new team looking for a way to play - l think we improved in the second half to an extent. We lacked a kicking game, and some grunt and energy up front. Saying that, l thought our three best players were forwards. 

The question now is, which team has the greater improvement in them? Hopefully,  some of the rumoured new signings might provide that for us.

I certainly hope they can, we need them to. I'm also hoping Woods can regain some of the form he had all those years ago when he played for Swinton against us.

5 hours ago, distantdog said:

Out of interest, which 3 forwards did you pick out as the best players?

1 hour ago, Keep The Faith said:

I also thought the same we looked to put the best momentum into the game the when they were on the park as Batley finished the game stronger 

I agree with these guys too - they put a lot into the game and made a clear impact, it was good to watch from your side .

I do really question the input of some of the more regular Dewsbury forwards and believe they hide (which caused a lot of the issues last season), but I’m not naming particular names. People who watch should know anyway.

But as an ex-amateur player I know it is easy for forwards to look busy but avoid really getting involved and making an impact- they stand behind the line slightly with hands on knees to avoid the pass/play and then come in as the second or third tackler to just keep their knees dirty but don’t like taking the player down first. And any plodder can charge into a few players to make 10 yards. I’m being miserable here I know 🤣 but this is for me where we’re losing out but it doesn’t get spotted by the coaching team. 

And I know: ‘easy said from the stands’ but I keep my eye on certain players throughout the game and it really becomes obvious.

Edited by RugbyPowelly

2 hours ago, RugbyPowelly said:

I agree with these guys too - they put a lot into the game and made a clear impact, it was good to watch from your side .

I do really question the input of some of the more regular Dewsbury forwards and believe they hide (which caused a lot of the issues last season), but I’m not naming particular names. People who watch should know anyway.

But as an ex-amateur player I know it is easy for forwards to look busy but avoid really getting involved and making an impact- they stand behind the line slightly with hands on knees to avoid the pass/play and then come in as the second or third tackler to just keep their knees dirty but don’t like taking the player down first. And any plodder can charge into a few players to make 10 yards. I’m being miserable here I know 🤣 but this is for me where we’re losing out but it doesn’t get spotted by the coaching team. 

And I know: ‘easy said from the stands’ but I keep my eye on certain players throughout the game and it really becomes obvious.

I really doubt that anything "doesn't get spotted by the coaching team". Maybe, just maybe, there are things they are looking at that you don't see?

• Like 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I really doubt that anything "doesn't get spotted by the coaching team". Maybe, just maybe, there are things they are looking at that you don't see?

But can be difficult to deal with when they’re your good mates.

Edited by RugbyPowelly

5 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

2 hours ago, distantdog said:

If 'they're' your good mates and you allow that to affect your judgement,  then 'you're' probably not that great a coach.

Let’s see

14 hours ago, RugbyPowelly said:

Edited by SUPERSTUD

21 hours ago, RugbyPowelly said:

What exactly were these "issues"?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.