Veganuary/veguary/dry January

29 minutes ago, hindle xiii said:

I'll keep off the alcohol some more (a few mince pies contained hidden alcohol but I wasn't fretting).

The big one for me to try is no fizzy drinks.

Interesting. I've never been a fan of fizzy drinks but I can imagine they are highly addictive.

• Midlands hobo changed the title to Veganuary/veguary/dry January
3 hours ago, Midlands hobo said:

Anyone joining in this year in any sort of month off anything?

I'm doing veggie. Did veganuary previously and frankly it's hard if you like cheese as much as me.

No.  As ever, I will make only one New Year's Resolution and, also as ever, I will stick to it.  It is, to make no New Year's Resolutions, other than this one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

No.  As ever, I will make only one New Year's Resolution and, also as ever, I will stick to it.  It is, to make no New Year's Resolutions, other than this one.

My Resolution is to visit as many pubs I haven't already been in as possible.

Like your goodself .. I guarantee I will stick to it 🙃

• Like 3
The%20Warriors%2060.jpg

I'll be giving up turkey and sprouts for a period of just under 12 months.

• Haha 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 29/12/2023 at 16:27, Vambo said:

My Resolution is to visit as many pubs I haven't already been in as possible.

Like your goodself .. I guarantee I will stick to it 🙃

Managed my first 'new' pub of the year this aft. Start as you mean to go on I say 🙂

The%20Warriors%2060.jpg

Someone on Twitter made a very good point about Veganuary and similar self-loathing dietary variations.

In January, there is very little variety available when it comes to homegrown fruit and veg, so if you want interesting food, you'll be racking up the air miles or eating very dull fare. The latter will make it even harder to complete your self-imposed month of deprivation.

January's tough and drab enough for most folks without adding a temporary ban on hearty, warming comfort foods including meaty stews, chillis and curries made from cheap cuts of meat.

The suggested alternative was "Vegust" - August being a great month for some of the best British-grown produce, plus Summer weather makes lighter dishes (including salads) much more appealing.

Makes a lot more sense to me.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Someone on Twitter made a very good point about Veganuary and similar self-loathing dietary variations.

In January, there is very little variety available when it comes to homegrown fruit and veg, so if you want interesting food, you'll be racking up the air miles or eating very dull fare. The latter will make it even harder to complete your self-imposed month of deprivation.

January's tough and drab enough for most folks without adding a temporary ban on hearty, warming comfort foods including meaty stews, chillis and curries made from cheap cuts of meat.

The suggested alternative was "Vegust" - August being a great month for some of the best British-grown produce, plus Summer weather makes lighter dishes (including salads) much more appealing.

Makes a lot more sense to me.

Oi! I'm vegan. I don't 'loathe' myself I will have you know 😉

The%20Warriors%2060.jpg

17 minutes ago, Vambo said:

Oi! I'm vegan. I don't 'loathe' myself I will have you know 😉

You're not doing a month on an unfamiliar diet as a penance for enjoying the Festive Season, though.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

You're not doing a month on an unfamiliar diet as a penance, though.

Most definitely not.

Somewhat ironically though I would say that January is when there is actually more choice in terms of products to buy (buy, consume, buy, consume, buy, consume) that are only available for 4 weeks every year. All the 'Supermarkets' are falling over themselves to provide products to spend your money on until the next monthly fad is upon us.

Edited by Vambo
Edited the word Dad to.Fad
The%20Warriors%2060.jpg