Fantasy rugby league

Happy new year all,

Just wondering, does anybody play fantasy rugby league? I play the football version of this and quite fancy the idea of it for rugby league.

Just googled it, can only see one site offering it and that is still showing last seasons info.

Any idea when it starts? Or if multiple outlets offer the game?

1 hour ago, Yorky said:

Happy new year all,

Just wondering, does anybody play fantasy rugby league? I play the football version of this and quite fancy the idea of it for rugby league.

Just googled it, can only see one site offering it and that is still showing last seasons info.

Any idea when it starts? Or if multiple outlets offer the game?

Yeah I do it every year 

You have to keep on top of it though.....the problem can be keeping track of your players are injured or not....I find the Hull Daily mail is best for this each week as they summarize all the clubs news going into games......  you also get to catch up on the latest knife crime in Kingswood or property prices in Beverley 

• Haha 5

I concur with BB that there are a lot of people who will at least make the starting line of the Super League Fantasy competition.

It would be great if some kind excel whizz also created a Super League and/or NRL predictions competition too.

I suspect there are some templated designs somewhere on the web for the NRL or maybe something slicker - not sure for Super League.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Haven't looked into them but sounds like they need a bit of time invested. Used to like fantasy football and cricket decades ago when you could pick a team and stick with it, maybe a tiny number of changes mid-season. Wouldn't find time to keep up with it now if new squads each week, but hope people enjoy it.

55 minutes ago, N2022 said:

Haven't looked into them but sounds like they need a bit of time invested. Used to like fantasy football and cricket decades ago when you could pick a team and stick with it, maybe a tiny number of changes mid-season. Wouldn't find time to keep up with it now if new squads each week, but hope people enjoy it.

Wow....you would really hate the NRL one!! 

The SL one was a good balance for me. It needed about 15 mins of my time a week to check various injuries mainly ....any more and I'd not do it

12 hours ago, N2022 said:

There are still lower intensity versions out there 

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

An early review by Matt Shaw on the Voonoo offering...reading between the lines, I think he's being quite polite about what he thinks, perhaps not wanting to knock something new. But some of the points he raises, if true (I haven't looked at it yet) do make you wonder if it will take off.
"To get the top-tier Bevan French or Jai Field card, you'll need to part ways with £200. Harry Newman or Alex Walmsley will cost you £100. It could comfortably cost you £1,000 to assemble your ideal team.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/super-league-fantasy-game-flaws-28581563

6 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

An early review by Matt Shaw on the Voonoo offering...reading between the lines, I think he's being quite polite about what he thinks, perhaps not wanting to knock something new. But some of the points he raises, if true (I haven't looked at it yet) do make you wonder if it will take off.
"To get the top-tier Bevan French or Jai Field card, you'll need to part ways with £200. Harry Newman or Alex Walmsley will cost you £100. It could comfortably cost you £1,000 to assemble your ideal team.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/super-league-fantasy-game-flaws-28581563

It is a digital Panini catalogue masquerading as Fantasy RL. The former would be good marketed to youngsters, but to call it a Fantasy competition is a nonsense.

17 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Plenty of these "sports trading card" games out there, which you can play, for fun, without spending a penny, despite that being an option.

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I'm struggling to see why anyone would really invest any time (let alone money) into something like that. Where is the fun in a game that is essentially whoever spends ridiculous amounts of money on something ultimately worthless wins. The best thing about Fantasy Premier League is it's a level playing field which makes it competitive. Yes, a lot of people drop out early on if they fall behind but you can also find ways around that.

FPL is obviously the benchmark and I don't see how it's so difficult to come up with something similar for rugby league. A little bit more effort made on previous iterations would go a long way.

This seems as pointless as rugby league NFT's and a shameless money grab.

• Like 2

Yes thats the one easy to use non of this paying for the brst players stuff.

Call me a luddite or old fashioned. Team adds up to2.1 million only 3 players from one team 

Edited by clifford
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, clifford said:

Yes thats the one easy to use nome of paying for players stuff.

Call me a luddite or old fashioned. Team adds up to2.1 million only 3 players from one team 

Just joined it - as you say, looks exactly as a fantasy game should be, pick a team,simple straight forward rules,no cost

• Like 1

Sadly, SL Dream Team is as badly flawed as ever. There are no Salford players listed at all (do they know something we don't?), whilst pricing and players positions appear to have been chosen entirely at random.

As an example, Bevan French and Jai Field are both named as full backs and a proven top quality player in Field is priced £40k lower than the untried Lachlan Miller. Similarly, Croft and Feawley are both named as stand offs for Leeds, but a number of teams don't have a number 6.

Yet another area where we are so far behind the NRL in driving engagement. Both NRL Fantasy and Supercoach are far superior to this, whilst there is still no comparison with Fantasy Premier League.

On 10/02/2024 at 13:01, Hopie said:

The ouRLeague predictor is good enough for me, hard enough picking out the week to week results in this era, never mind which individual players will shine/stay fit.

Whilst I don’t disagree isn’t that the point of fantasy leagues?

Edited by Gomersall