Championship/C1 structure

2 hours ago, Indigogo said:

The GameCaller saying he's read the detail of the RFL/IMG restructuring meeting that occured this morning and it's looking likely they there will be 3 leagues of 12 from 2026. That's all his interpretation of course, I can't see the details are available anywhere to read.

He also mentions that there's a proposal of a champ/League one and french Elite One club competition. Seems unlikely with the logistics and cost involved, but an interesting thought nonetheless.

I'd just point out that Toulouse don't enter the 1895 Cup - or, for that matter, the Challenge Cup.  Any cross-border comp would need to be well sponsored because the chances are that crowds will be low and costs will be high.

Divisions of twelve sound good to me. Start the season in March, 22 league games a year.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

3 x 12 is certainly do- able by 2026 but  more than 2 Champ sides  will be worried and 2 will end up distraught.

Toulouse I expect will be in SL by then. There is not enough money in the game yet to fund a Euro Competition - certainly SL clubs will resist any further distribution cuts.

Didn't Skolars retain their membership though, so could come back or transfer their status ( ala Hemel ) to make up the bottom 12 if the RFL could manage to engineer  demotion of 2 Championship sides at the end of 2025 ( 3 down , 1 up being the easiest way ) ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, del capo said:

3 x 12 is certainly do- able by 2026 but  more than 2 Champ sides  will be worried and 2 will end up distraught.

Toulouse I expect will be in SL by then. There is not enough money in the game yet to fund a Euro Competition - certainly SL clubs will resist any further distribution cuts.

Didn't Skolars retain their membership though, so could come back or transfer their status ( ala Hemel ) to make up the bottom 12 if the RFL could manage to engineer  demotion of 2 Championship sides at the end of 2025 ( 3 down , 1 up being the easiest way ) ?

What are you saying there? Toulouse can't afford to play but all the other French clubs can?

37 minutes ago, Griff said:

What are you saying there? Toulouse can't afford to play but all the other French clubs can?

I don't think he mentioned any French team other than saying he expects Toulouse to be SL by that time.

42 minutes ago, Click said:

I don't think he mentioned any French team other than saying he expects Toulouse to be SL by that time.

Are you not sure?

What relevance has that?

7 minutes ago, Griff said:

Are you not sure?

What relevance has that?

Ok then, I was trying to be more polite, but to be blunt about it:

@del capo says: "Toulouse I expect will be in SL by then. There is not enough money in the game yet to fund a Euro Competition - certainly SL clubs will resist any further distribution cuts."

This is the only mention of a French club in his post. Every other team that is spoken about are existing Championship and League 1 clubs, as well as Skolars who currently aren't in League 1.

So your question to him doesn't make any sense, as he doesn't mention any other French team other than Toulouse.

17 hours ago, del capo said:

If there is not enough money then we should be putting British clubs first rather than the French ones. Or the overseas clubs are funded separate from the sky deal, bearing in mind they have their own TV deal. 

I would have likes 14 team SL and the same in the Championship but that would leave League 1 in a perilous state.Championship did need the extra two home games for increased revenue towards the players budget.But now with no promotion to SL likely apart from Wakey.Bradford and Toulouse attracting better players is not required.Finish top and win 1895 cup. Get through to the later rounds of The Challenge Cup and teams apart from the three mentioned have no chance of promotion it may stop teams chasing the SL dream by throwing money at it.And just help League 1 survive with the prospect of promotion.

16 hours ago, Griff said:

It was you that  raised the issue of Toulouse.

I merely said that they would not be involved in any Euro Comp as suggested by Game caller because by 2026 I expected them to be playing in SL .

Neither Championship nor Elite 1 sides could afford to be part of any form of a Euro Competition without massive external funding. The RFL cannot find  any of that at present. Nice idea but definitely for  the medium to long term in tray. The top of Elite 2 in France  ( thereby entitled to promotion  to Elite 1 ) gave up on the annual challenge between them and NCL Champions years ago because they could not afford the costs even at home..... and our own clubs jib at travelling to Cornwall.....

17 minutes ago, del capo said:

It was you that  raised the issue of Toulouse.

I merely said that they would not be involved in any Euro Comp as suggested by Game caller because by 2026 I expected them to be playing in SL .

Neither Championship nor Elite 1 sides could afford to be part of any form of a Euro Competition without massive external funding. The RFL cannot find  any of that at present. Nice idea but definitely for  the medium to long term in tray. The top of Elite 2 in France  ( thereby entitled to promotion  to Elite 1 ) gave up on the annual challenge between them and NCL Champions years ago because they could not afford the costs even at home..... and our own clubs jib at travelling to Cornwall.....

So you agree. It's a pie in the sky idea.

23 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

I would have likes 14 team SL and the same in the Championship but that would leave League 1 in a perilous state.Championship did need the extra two home games for increased revenue towards the players budget.But now with no promotion to SL likely apart from Wakey.Bradford and Toulouse attracting better players is not required.Finish top and win 1895 cup. Get through to the later rounds of The Challenge Cup and teams apart from the three mentioned have no chance of promotion it may stop teams chasing the SL dream by throwing money at it.And just help League 1 survive with the prospect of promotion.

I think you can add Oldham to the three teams you mentioned with a realistic chance of promotion to the SL

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Sorry they would be behind a few other Championship teams not mentioned.

Yeah Oldham are years off been anywhere near for SL, they should concentrate on winning League 1 and getting established in the Championship before anything else. Funny they would probably have had more of a chance under the old structure.

3 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Yeah Oldham are years off been anywhere near for SL, they should concentrate on winning League 1 and getting established in the Championship before anything else. Funny they would probably have had more of a chance under the old structure.

They are busy building a very extensive back room team, as well as investing on the playing side. 

51 minutes ago, sheddingswasus said:

They are busy building a very extensive back room team, as well as investing on the playing side. 

Playing side's nice but it's not as important as it used to be. People need to start grasping this.

4 hours ago, Griff said:

Playing side's nice but it's not as important as it used to be. People need to start grasping this.

I'm surprised at how many people who post on here are unaware of how big the changes are and speaking to some friends at amateur clubs they have not even heard about the changes and still talk about promotion on the field.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

IF the Game Caller is right (perhaps miracles do happen occasionally) then 3x12=36. Given that we now have 35 clubs in SL, Championship and L1, where's the 36th coming from?

France?