Have Barrow missed a great commercial opportunity (other examples?)

Watching CC Barrow v Oldham on Red Button, I noticed behind one end of Barrow's ground is a huge Tesco Extra getting free publicity, advertising. Should Barrow have screened off that end in some way to block out the Tesco sign, then offered to take it down for a price or even flog the screening to ASDA or Sainsbury's etc.

They my have got some money out of Tesco, but I doubt it.

Any other examples where grounds offer free publicity.

• Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Re Barrow, No, a few thousand people will watch it and they will all be fully brand aware of Tesco so doubt they would be interested.

Why go to the trouble and cost of blocking it off just to make your neighbour say get lost and think you are an idiot.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Padge said:

Watching CC Barrow v Oldham on Red Button, I noticed behind one end of Barrow's ground is a huge Tesco Extra getting free publicity, advertising. Should Barrow have screened off that end in some way to block out the Tesco sign, then offered to take it down for a price or even flog the screening to ASDA or Sainsbury's etc.

They my have got some money out of Tesco, but I doubt it.

Any other examples where grounds offer free publicity.

for the amount of viewers on iplayer compared to the amount of Tesco ads on mainstream tv I doubt they would care

• Like 2

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

9 hours ago, RSN said:

Would have been a lot of work for minimal reward but I suppose every little helps.

Although posted in jest, this is very true for clubs like Barrow. 

Just let it be known that and advertising banner is available in that spot to the local supermarkets could generate a bit of competitive bidding, Tesco obviously wanting to pay to not have the banner and rivals wanting to blank out Tesco and get their name in the frame.

The money generated may not be massive in the scheme of things, but get the local press also onto the story and there could be other benefits. In fact create a story about it even if you don't sell the space. It is just such an opportunity.

I am sure I have seen other examples of this sort of thing but can't remember where.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

On 10/02/2024 at 14:10, graveyard johnny said:

for the amount of viewers on iplayer compared to the amount of Tesco ads on mainstream tv I doubt they would care

Are you seriously suggesting that a billion pound company who advertise extensively on TV wouldn't be interested in this 🤣

8 minutes ago, Damien said:

Are you seriously suggesting that a billion pound company who advertise extensively on TV wouldn't be interested in this 🤣

You don't appeal to the national company, you go to the local managers.

Remember when Leigh were once sponsored by I think it was Vodafone, it was just the local shop not the national company.

You can operate locally with major national companies.

It really is about spotting and maximizing every single and simple opportunity.

1 minute ago, Padge said:

You don't appeal to the national company, you go to the local managers.

Remember when Leigh were once sponsored by I think it was Vodafone, it was just the local shop not the national company.

You can operate locally with major national companies.

It really is about spotting and maximizing every single and simple opportunity.

O2 2016

13 minutes ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

O2 2016

That'll be it.

Ta.

Barrow seem to have gone through how to monetise the whole ground. If the Tesco 'block sign for cash' plan was a goer, given how much else is in here, they would probably have mentioned it:

https://www.barrowrlfc.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/Raiders-Commercial-Brochure-2.pdf

(One tip for them though, that is the 2024 brochure but it's linked as 2022 so they should probably sort that.)

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)