Brits in the NRL: 2024 Edition

9 minutes ago, NRLandSL said:

Playing Centre for the Roosters currently, pretty tall (around 6’3 I think). played fullback for France B and I believe he has played a bit of halfback before, so he is a pretty versatile backline player.

Him and Sacha Kouassi (Villeneuve Player) both wen’t on trial last year with the roosters after being scouted, Griffier got signed Kouassi didn’t.

Griffier played for Salon who are in Elite 2.

Good stuff.

is baptiste Fabre still playing Queensland cup this year also?

1 hour ago, going for the corner said:

Good stuff.

is baptiste Fabre still playing Queensland cup this year also?

45 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

He is at Albi in France.

No he is back In aus now. Was only at Albi on a short 3 month contract and hasn’t being playing for albi for probably a few months now. 

Last season he left Brisbane Tigers and played A Grade for the Tully Tigers. 

Though he was listed on the QLD cup website a week ago as a player for the Brisbane tigers but now the page has vanished.

Also Just played in a pre season trial a-grade game today for Carina in the Brisbane rugby league comp. Really not sure what’s going on but he is far too good to be playing A-grade in Australia.

He should try join another NSW/QLD Cup or if not try join a championship side. He is a quality 2nd grade player in my eyes it’s pretty evident things at the Brisbane Tigers aren’t going to well otherwise he would have debuted a while ago now.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, NRLandSL said:

No he is back In aus now. Was only at Albi on a short 3 month contract and hasn’t being playing for albi for probably a few months now. 

Last season he left Brisbane Tigers and played A Grade for the Tully Tigers. 

Though he was listed on the QLD cup website a week ago as a player for the Brisbane tigers but now the page has vanished.

Also Just played in a pre season trial a-grade game today for Carina in the Brisbane rugby league comp. Really not sure what’s going on but he is far too good to be playing A-grade in Australia.

He should try join another NSW/QLD Cup or if not try join a championship side. He is a quality 2nd grade player in my eyes it’s pretty evident things at the Brisbane Tigers aren’t going to well otherwise he would have debuted a while ago now.

Even playing in the elite 1 competition would be far better for his playing career than playing in the local Brisbane competition.

all a shame really as he was touted as a hot prospect as a 17-18 year old along with cesar rouge.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Welshleaguelover said:

@NRLandSL

Where are you from mate?

Like you seem to be an absolute rugby league nerd (i love it).... not seen much pessimism/negativity in any of your posts.

I'm an aussie from Sydney, just love watching rugby league all over the world. Definitely a bit of a rugby league nerd.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NRLandSL said:

KPP named in the NRL team of the week 👏

The best thing about this is that there is loads more to come from KPP.  He is proving very difficult to handle with the ball in his hands... he stayed on his feet loads of times to get a quick play the ball.

But his offloads in attacking positions are not being utilised as he doesn't have the support runners yet.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 hours ago, Dunbar said:

The best thing about this is that there is loads more to come from KPP.  He is proving very difficult to handle with the ball in his hands... he stayed on his feet loads of times to get a quick play the ball.

But his offloads in attacking positions are not being utilised as he doesn't have the support runners yet.

I hope him and Pryce form a lethal combo, when Pryce gets the starting spot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NRLandSL said:

I hope him and Pryce form a lethal combo, when Pryce gets the starting spot.

His combination with Bradman Best is important too.  The way modern teams are coached, teams invariably have the option of hitting the lead runner (edge forward) or going out the back to the centre/fullback.

The problem with this is that if the lead runner has an offload game, the centre is often not set up to take the offload at pace as they have run the out line.  I would like to see KPP get the ball and Best or Ponga play some second phase off him unstructured. 

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 hours ago, going for the corner said:

Pryce scored 2 tries and kicked 7 goals for the knights reserve grade team(NSW cup) against the bears.

No suprises there, if he plays the whole season for the NSW cup team he will be in a for player of the year shout.

Pryce was always going to wait for his shot.

Ponga is a first name pick for the Knights if he is fit so Pryce would be looking at 6 to get a run in the NRL.

And then they have Gamble, Cogger and Hastings as halves options.

Personally, I was very suprised to see Hastings dropped for Cogger last round as I felt Gamble was the one that could have made way for Cogger.

Neither of the halves last week had particularly good games (they both kicked out on the full in general play for example), but Cogger was probably the better of the two.  They have stuck with a winning team for the Warriors game but I don't expect them to win away at the Warriors.

Ultimately, the Knights may cycle through the half combinations until they get one that works.  I think Pryce and Hastings could be the best pairing and if they continue to prove that in NSW Cup then they will get a chance sooner rather than later.

• Like 2

The knights halves don’t inspire me . For a  top half NRL side all three of them are pretty second rate tbh . Gamble I think is particularly average and has a lot more poor games than good . Hastings has more natural ability I  think . Cogger is ok but this is different to fitting into Penrith’s team . I wouldn’t be surprised to see Pryce in there with one of those in the course of the season , I think he has a bit of X factor that sets him apart but it’s sensible to ease him in in NSW cup . Overly I’m not that sold on the knights tbh 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Pryce was always going to wait for his shot.

Ponga is a first name pick for the Knights if he is fit so Pryce would be looking at 6 to get a run in the NRL.

And then they have Gamble, Cogger and Hastings as halves options.

Personally, I was very suprised to see Hastings dropped for Cogger last round as I felt Gamble was the one that could have made way for Cogger.

Neither of the halves last week had particularly good games (they both kicked out on the full in general play for example), but Cogger was probably the better of the two.  They have stuck with a winning team for the Warriors game but I don't expect them to win away at the Warriors.

Ultimately, the Knights may cycle through the half combinations until they get one that works.  I think Pryce and Hastings could be the best pairing and if they continue to prove that in NSW Cup then they will get a chance sooner rather than later.

Pryce and Hastings, 7 Try Involements for the duo, in there first game together, impressive stuff.

Hastings- 5 Assists 

Pryce- 2 Tries

55 minutes ago, DavidM said:

The knights halves don’t inspire me . For a  top half NRL side all three of them are pretty second rate tbh . Gamble I think is particularly average and has a lot more poor games than good . Hastings has more natural ability I  think . Cogger is ok but this is different to fitting into Penrith’s team . I wouldn’t be surprised to see Pryce in there with one of those in the course of the season , I think he has a bit of X factor that sets him apart but it’s sensible to ease him in in NSW cup . Overly I’m not that sold on the knights tbh 

I don’t really agree with the last comment. He already proved himself as a quality player in SL, he should not have to be eased into NSW cup. Any player who has proved themselves at SL level is highly capeable of playing NRL week in and week out. 

Of course he still young, but age isn’t important. Regardless of his potential, right now he is already a phenomenal player and should be starting for Newcastle. 

• Like 1

Tries from the Knights NSW Cup game here for anyone interested.

https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2024/03/24/nsw-cup-highlights--knights-v-bears---round-three/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

with a fit hughes and munster - last weeks knights team would have been nailed quite easily

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

As Smithies and KPP and the Club World Champions for the last 2 years show, there is very little difference between a good SL and a good NRL player. Our top 100 players would get a game. Sutton and Hodgson perfectly illustrate the point. SL massively undersells itself and its players. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, going for the corner said:

With hopefully a few 1st grade games thrown in.

I’d hope he breaks he in to the first grade squad, I couldn’t see him losing a starting spot after his debut.

14 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

As Smithies and KPP and the Club World Champions for the last 2 years show, there is very little difference between a good SL and a good NRL player. Our top 100 players would get a game. Sutton and Hodgson perfectly illustrate the point. SL massively undersells itself and its players. 

It depends on the players.

We've had top aussie comes over here and be terrible. Then an average aussie comes over and becomes a club legend.

There's so many variables that go into it.

14 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

As Smithies and KPP and the Club World Champions for the last 2 years show, there is very little difference between a good SL and a good NRL player. Our top 100 players would get a game. Sutton and Hodgson perfectly illustrate the point. ...

Possibly.

About 40 of our top 100 players are non-UK. Are you including them?