Brits in the NRL: 2024 Edition

28 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Direct replacement for Whitehead.

Yes he definitely deserves the spot, really the only good back rower in England not in the back end of their career. Guys like Currie, Farrell and Batchelor are good but no more deserving a spot than KPP.

I hope guys like Nicholson, Walters and Nsemba reach there potential because there are not many quality backrowers in SL right now.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, NRLandSL said:

Yes he definitely deserves the spot, really the only good back rower in England not in the back end of their career. Guys like Currie, Farrell and Batchelor are good but no more deserving a spot than KPP.

I hope guys like Nicholson, Walters and Nsemba reach there potential because there are not many quality backrowers in SL right now.

Those 3 all have serious potential. Alongside KPP, there is some good depth starting to develop at SR.

Farrell is too old for England now (like Whitehead). Currie and Batchelor could be squad players. But will never be first choice starters. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Those 3 all have serious potential. Alongside KPP, there is some good depth starting to develop at SR.

Farrell is too old for England now (like Whitehead). Currie and Batchelor could be squad players. But will never be first choice starters. 

I agree. Those three plus Gannon and Wingfield gives us potentially 6 quality second rowers 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JM2010 said:

I agree. Those three plus Gannon and Wingfield gives us potentially 6 quality second rowers 

Yes, also a few other guys I forgot about, Harry Rushton still some serious potential despite the injuries. James McDonnell is great player and still semi young, and Adam Holroyd is starting to play well at 19 for Warrington

5 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Whilst Farrell is definitely slowing down I don’t think 33 is too old, he’s a few months younger than Alex Walmsley who virtually no one on this forum would leave out. 

Just now, JonNgog said:

Whilst Farrell is definitely slowing down I don’t think 33 is too old, he’s a few months younger than Alex Walmsley who virtually no one on this forum would leave out. 

I suppose the difference there is type of player. Walmsley will always be effective due to his size and can still be effective for spells. Farrell is all about workrate and big minutes and I think any decline is always more noticeable in that type of player.

We kind of take him for granted these days as he has been in the NRL for an age but Tom Burgess was superb for Souths in a losing effort this morning.  Loads of carries and a try, helped drag them back in the game.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

There's nearly as many London products in the NRL as Melbourne products.

Further backs up the point of how hard it is for RL in Melbourne.

new rise.jpg

58 minutes ago, Pulga said:

There's nearly as many London products in the NRL as Melbourne products.

Further backs up the point of how hard it is for RL in Melbourne.

Really?

I can think of at least 5 Melbourne Products Tonumaipea, Ieremia, Fa’alogo, Pole, Tonua-Brown. Only KPP from London.

Edit- Also Richie Kennar

Edited by NRLandSL

Currently Watching Riley Dean absolutely tear up in the Q Cup for the Mackay Cutters.

Half time against the Clydesdales and already has 3 try assists, playing out of this world.

so far this season he has 6 assists in 3 and half games.

Edited by NRLandSL
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, NRLandSL said:

Really?

I can think of at least 5 Melbourne Products Tonumaipea, Ieremia, Fa’alogo, Pole, Tonua-Brown. Only KPP from London.

Edit- Also Richie Kennar

Unless the official club websites have a problem only Kennar and Pole have played NRL this year.

• Confused 1

new rise.jpg

33 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Unless the official club websites have a problem only Kennar and Pole have played NRL this year.

Because they haven’t played in the NRL yet this year they’re not an NRL player?

1 hour ago, NRLandSL said:

Because they haven’t played in the NRL yet this year they’re not an NRL player?

KPP didn't play any NRL last year either so, no. They're not. They're former players.

• Haha 1

new rise.jpg

9 minutes ago, Pulga said:

KPP didn't play any NRL last year either so, no. They're not. They're former players.

All 6 of those players are full-team professional rugby league players in their NRL sides top 30 squad. They train and play every week just like every other player. They are not "former" players 🤣🤣🤣. Just because they are yet to appear in the opening six rounds doesn't mean they don't exist.

14 hours ago, NRLandSL said:

All 6 of those players are full-team professional rugby league players in their NRL sides top 30 squad. They train and play every week just like every other player. They are not "former" players 🤣🤣🤣. Just because they are yet to appear in the opening six rounds doesn't mean they don't exist.

And at the moment they're Qld Cup or NSW Cup players.

• Haha 1

new rise.jpg

On 12/04/2024 at 10:59, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Will Pryce came off injured in the NSW cup game - not seen any updates on it. Hopefully nothing too serious. 

Pryce has been named in the Knights NSW Cup side again this week so he looks OK.

• Thanks 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

56 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Hope he continues his fine form - surely only a matter of time before he gets the nod in first grade, even if it's centre or wing. 

I'm not sure he would get a run in the centre or wing unless the Knights had a pretty deep injury crisis.

If Ponga has a spell on the sidelines, you would expect Pryce to be in the mix for back up #1 but I think his chance will come when (if!) Adam O'Brien finally recognises that Cogger and Hastings are too similar and Gamble is bobbins and he finally puts Pryce at 6 next to either Cogger or Hastings as a game management 7.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JM2010 said:

How’s Lewis Murphy getting on? I feel he has the potential to be a top quality NRL winger. Maybe even better than Dom??? 

Only just got back from injury two weeks ago and has only played a few reserve grade games. Was named as number 19 for the roosters last week though and was very close to debuting. Should continue to dominate in the NSW cup and hopefully plays a few games this year in the NRL.

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Pryce has been named in the Knights NSW Cup side again this week so he looks OK.

Game is being streamed in Foxtel/Kayo aswell. Not sure if it will be available in england but it might be.  Still can’t believe the bloke isn’t playing first grade, it’s a proper joke. He would be guaranteed starter for a whole lot of NRL teams. He should be looking to leave if O’Brien doesn’t give him opportunities in the next few weeks.

Like seriously Jack Cogger over Pryce, I can’t imagine what Huddersfield fans would think of that.

• Like 1