Brits in the NRL: 2024 Edition

11 hours ago, slowdive said:

I'm not sure he's at that level either tbh.  Hope I'm wrong though.

He’s a top player for the world champions and an England international but Newcastle, no way ? I don’t get the logic.

Edited by NRLandSL

9 hours ago, NRLandSL said:

He’s a top player for the world champions and an England international but Newcastle, no way ? I don’t get the logic.

I've not seen loads of him to be fair.  I suppose I just don't really remember seeing him stand out when i have seen him play.  Happy to defer to people who've seen a lot more of him.  I do hope he does well cos I really enjoy watching all of the brits in the nrl.

• Like 1

"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

9 minutes ago, slowdive said:

I've not seen loads of him to be fair.  I suppose I just don't really remember seeing him stand out when i have seen him play.  Happy to defer to people who've seen a lot more of him.  I do hope he does well cos I really enjoy watching all of the brits in the nrl.

He definitely still has some issues in his game, especially In defence, but he is a quite a phenomenon. He’s 6’6 and has a fantastic offloading game. With his size, length and ball skills he is a lethal edge runner and has endless potential IMO. I’m expecting him to star for Newcastle this year.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, slowdive said:

you wont see him stand out in the NRL either - will get smashed and put back on the plane

• Haha 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Knights v Raiders the one to watch in round one, as far as British interest goes. Pleased Smithies has got the nod at 13 for the Raiders. Disappointed Will Pryce looks like he may get cut from the extended bench but KPP does look like he'll be playing off the interchange. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Knights v Raiders the one to watch in round one, as far as British interest goes. Pleased Smithies has got the nod at 13 for the Raiders. Disappointed Will Pryce looks like he may get cut from the extended bench but KPP does look like he'll be playing off the interchange. 

I think we always expected Pryce would need to wait for a shot.  But if he does get a run at 1 (if Ponga is unavailable) or 6, then he may be tough to get out the team as he showed in the trials he is very dangerous. 

Smithies was always likely to get the 13 jersey with Corey Horsburgh suspended for the first 4 rounds.

But I hope he plays well enough to push Horsburgh into the front row rotation when he returns. 

Whitehead out with a calf strain for a few weeks as well so it is just KPP and Smithies this week I think.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 02/03/2024 at 23:43, jim_57 said:

Not announced until Tuesday 4pm AEDT.

Unless you’ve seen something that suggests he won’t play?

he's not playing like I  said

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 03/03/2024 at 18:29, graveyard johnny said:

you wont see him stand out in the NRL either - will get smashed and put back on the plane

Well that's KPP nailed on for Dally M second row of the year then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

he's not playing like I  said

You said he wasn’t in the squad which hadn’t been name yet at the time.

He was named in the extended squad btw, could still play. More likely to start in NSW Cup though by the looks, named at 6 for them.

Not suprised KPP is coming of the Bench, Lucas has been in tremendous form but i back KPP to take this starting spot a few rounds in either over Frizell or Lucas.

KPP is a special player, I don’t think Newcastle realise who they have just yet, putting him on the bench isn’t fair.

Edited by NRLandSL
  • Like 1

Not suprised KPP is coming of the Bench, Lucas has been in tremendous form but i back KPP to take this starting spot a few rounds in either over Frizell or Lucas.

KPP is a special player, I don’t think Newcastle realise who they have just yet, putting him on the bench isn’t fair.

He's returning from foot surgery that was expecting him to miss the start of the season. I think putting him on the bench is more than fair

18 hours ago, NRLandSL said:

You talk up our players a bit too much at times. KPP has all the ability in the world but hasn't put together a dominant season in SL yet. It'll take him a bit of time to get used to the consistent intensity in the NRL and then hopefully it brings the best out of him.

I'm sure even Wigan fans would say they never saw the best of him. He's capable of so much more.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Welshleaguelover said:

You talk up our players a bit too much at times. KPP has all the ability in the world but hasn't put together a dominant season in SL yet. It'll take him a bit of time to get used to the consistent intensity in the NRL and then hopefully it brings the best out of him.

I'm sure even Wigan fans would say they never saw the best of him. He's capable of so much more.

He was very good at Wigan, adapting to that step up after moving north. Wigan to Newcastle is a step down in quality, so he has more than enough talent. The question then becomes one of whether he settles in and gets used to the culture shock of life in that part of the world after the cosmopolitan worlds of London and Greater Manchester. I have no idea why English players sign for teams outside Sydney and Brisbane. 

• Confused 2

NRL posted an article on their website about Smithies and KPP titled " Morgan Vs Kai: Once were warriors now rivals"

The first sentence is "You could argue injuries and suspension is how English recruits Morgan Smithies and Kai Pearce-Paul snuck their way into Round 1".

The pure disrespect here is outrageous, "Snuck their way in", it's not like they were quality players for the world champions or anything. The NRL journalists will do anything but put respect on European players and it's shameful, not sure how these bastards have a job. Complete garbage.

I think the NRL just can't handle the fact another competition is at their level so they just upload articles like this to belittle the english game and warp fans opinions.

• Like 1

NRL posted an article on their website about Smithies and KPP titled " Morgan Vs Kai: Once were warriors now rivals"

The first sentence is "You could argue injuries and suspension is how English recruits Morgan Smithies and Kai Pearce-Paul snuck their way into Round 1".

The pure disrespect here is outrageous, "Snuck their way in", it's not like they were quality players for the world champions or anything. The NRL journalists will do anything but put respect on European players and it's shameful, not sure how these bastards have a job. Complete garbage.

I think the NRL just can't handle the fact another competition is at their level so they just upload articles like this to belittle the english game and warp fans opinions.

I read the article this morning and it didn't cross my mind that it was disrespectful.

Corey Horsburgh played a lot at 13 last year for the Raiders, a year he made his State or Origin  debut, and he is suspended so it is a statement of fact that a player who was an incumbant is suspended and Smithies has a chance.

It's not as clear cut for KPP but both are at new clubs and need to earn and keep their places.

We need to be less sensitive about these things (collectively, not you in particular).

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I read the article this morning and it didn't cross my mind that it was disrespectful.

Corey Horsburgh played a lot at 13 last year for the Raiders, a year he made his State or Origin  debut, and he is suspended so it is a statement of fact that a player who was an incumbant is suspended and Smithies has a chance.

It's not as clear cut for KPP but both are at new clubs and need to earn and keep their places.

We need to be less sensitive about these things (collectively, not you in particular).

I didn’t read the article, I’m sure it was fine but just not a fan of the opening statement saying Smithies and KPP were lucky to be playing tonight. Which is just completely disrespectful.