Rochdale Challenge Cup thread

Batley Bob

We have never lost a game with Mike in charge....going to be another war of attrition if the weather in Batley is like it is up here, forecast to p down for next 3 days at least. 5 games on it in 6 weeks, it'll be messy!

I think, regarding the weather, we have proven we can grind out a win in the mud so it shouldn't be an issue. Messy is fine.

I'm interested in whether MM makes some changes for this game. I'd like to see the Gibbons boys get some time and Mitsias of course, but who on earth would you drop or rest?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, distantdog said:

I think, regarding the weather, we have proven we can grind out a win in the mud so it shouldn't be an issue. Messy is fine.

I'm interested in whether MM makes some changes for this game. I'd like to see the Gibbons boys get some time and Mitsias of course, but who on earth would you drop or rest?

Add elliot Kear to list 

• Like 1

IMG_0583.JPG

16 minutes ago, Batley Bob said:

Add elliot Kear to list 

I think changing the backs is harder than the forwards, as that can be justified as rotating them to give them a rest. Am not sure which of the backs could justifiably be dropped.

It's very difficult these days with there  being no reserve team to allow players to maintain fitness and skills and push for a place.  We do have a very canny coach from what I can see who will make well informed decisions.  Still, it's human nature to play the "picking a team" game, so I would like to suggest that as the weather improves and the ground dries out there would be a case for moving Buchanan to loose forward and Kear or Morton to centre.  

Will there be any unforced changes for the Hornets game?

I think Mokko has to find a start for Mitsias as he's now the only player he's not seen under match conditions. Burton to centre, Buchanan back 3, Moore alternating with him from the bench. Bench a problem then though to give at least one of the Gibbons' a go and this could be a game to give Josh Rhodes a run out.

Agreed about game time for the fringe players and a look at Mitsias. However, it's normal practice to move players for certain games, but usually not the halfbacks unless injured and I think one of ours picked up a knock at Hunslet. It's rare to carry a halfback on the bench, unless he is a utility and can cover a variety of positions and has the size and skill to cover the forward pack. I always think it is a benefit to have 3 good ball players on the park, whether that is the 6, 7 & 1 or the 6, 7 & 13, we have had these approaches over the last couple of seasons. As for Joe Burton, he showed last week that he has pace, footwork and can finish. Maybe his position is on the wing. Rochdale are no mugs and they have some creativity, this is not a game to tinker with selection just because some fans want to see different players.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BullyXL said:

Rochdale are no mugs and they have some creativity, this is not a game to tinker with selection just because some fans want to see different players.

Agreed, but the discussion is interesting. To add to it, l can't believe that Mitsias won't get game time soon. After all, why bring him around the world to God's Own Country and not play him?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, distantdog said:

Agreed, but the discussion is interesting. To add to it, l can't believe that Mitsias won't get game time soon. After all, why bring him around the world to God's Own Country and not play him?

Maybe he hasn't had a pre season in Australia , and there building up his fitness 🤔 

IMG_0583.JPG

4 minutes ago, Batley Bob said:

Maybe he hasn't had a pre season in Australia , and there building up his fitness 🤔 

Very possible, even likely. But... my point still stands! When he's ready, surely he'll play. And if that's the case, what position and who makes way?

1 hour ago, distantdog said:

Very possible, even likely. But... my point still stands! When he's ready, surely he'll play. And if that's the case, what position and who makes way?

So does mine. Don't tinker with a winning team unless you have to because of injury.

Well, a game of 3 L's; lethargic, lack-lustre and losses. The first 2 are self evident, nobody got hold of the game and led us around. Losses, Woods had a bad limp and Jonny Mitsias looks to have picked up a broken nose, he'll remember his debut!

• Like 1

We gave away a lot of penalties today which gave Rochdale easy yards. Not our best performance of the season, but a wins a win. I thought we played too much 1 man rugby today, but on the plays we did throw it about we looked half decent. Anyway on to Widnes bit of  a tough one , but very winnable.

Not a great game today nothing outstanding but job done I thought Rochdale gave it a good go to be honest especially the first 20 but once we scored I thought we always looked in control another few changes today mokko must be still trying to work out what his best starting 18 will be! On a negative a very poor crowd today at a guess barely 400! Is the new pricing for pensioners and kids putting people off I wonder! 

2 hours ago, phildog said:

Well, a game of 3 L's; lethargic, lack-lustre and losses. The first 2 are self evident, nobody got hold of the game and led us around. Losses, Woods had a bad limp and Jonny Mitsias looks to have picked up a broken nose, he'll remember his debut!

I know that both our starting half backs went into the game carrying leg injuries today. Hence Gibbons on the bench. It was a toss up which one would last longest!

1 hour ago, The scrim reaper said:

Not a great game today nothing outstanding but job done I thought Rochdale gave it a good go to be honest especially the first 20 but once we scored I thought we always looked in control another few changes today mokko must be still trying to work out what his best starting 18 will be! On a negative a very poor crowd today at a guess barely 400! Is the new pricing for pensioners and kids putting people off I wonder! 

Think the pricing is putting everyone off. My partner and I came to both challenge cup games, that's £80 in two weeks. In this day and age, for many that's just too much money. Surely the club can offer some incentive for games like this? There seems to be nothing. 

Then walking down Mount Pleasant, after the game,  a girls game of rugby league taking  place on  Taylor Street pitch. Lots of adults,  obviously parents, watching. 

Surely an idea to get that sort of game at Mount pleasant, and get those adults and kids Into the stadium?

I just feel the club are not trying to promote ideas to get more footfall? 

Lacklustre. The most worrying thing was lack of a plan on 6th tackle. The number of times we just gave it to a prop to drive it in was ridiculous. Did we make even one attacking kick on the 6th tackle (maybe for the Burton try if that was on the 6th). Still it was a win. Thought Rochdale played well and kept going well. We need to get our halfbacks fit, and we need to practice kicking to touch from penalties. Gained very few yards .Lots of effort though, can never criticise Batley for lack of effort.