Player Participation Numbers

In the 2023 IRL Annual Report it was pleasing to see some very encouraging increases in player participation numbers in various countries. The increase in Wales is perhaps the most notable (I strongly suspect the PNG increase is just a case of more accurately collecting data and that the true number is much higher still). The increase in NZ is very pleasing too and hopefully something the game can build on. Some of the smaller affiliate members shame some of the full members like Scotland and Ireland too:

Participation among the highest capacity IRL nations saw an encouraging upswing, with Australia (217,757 registered players/205,387 in 2022), England (97,317/92,386), New Zealand (30,628/22/057) and PNG (9,540/2,956) all recording healthy increases in registered players. Although France’s overall participation dropped slightly (8,767/9,593), that was mainly as a result of the recategorisation of the ‘leisure’ licence, while the core women and men categories both increased – with the number of women players more than doubling to 517 (201 in 2022). In Wales, the previous year’s record participation number of 2,426 was smashed, with 3,303 registered players in 2023, the most significant increase being in youth rugby league as Welsh clubs continue to deepen their community roots

In North America, USARL continued its structural reformation amidst the busiest domestic rugby league calendar the country has ever seen, with affiliated competitions in three states that saw participation nearly triple to 707 players. A nascent youth competition means that USARL, which will add new member clubs next year, is well positioned to apply for full membership in 2024 should it choose to do so. Both it and neighbouring Canada oversaw strong developments in the women’s game, which has been a theme in 2023 throughout the rugby league world as members continue to offer quality competition to women and girls attracted to the life-enhancing properties of the sport.

Steady growth in the affiliate membership category saw several countries break through or continue edging toward the 500 registered player threshold, which is double the minimum required for full membership. Kenya and Nigeria, both with youth, women’s and men’s leagues in two regions, led the way with
850 and 502 players respectively, while the Netherlands and Norway both recorded player corps just below the 500 mark.

https://portal.intrl.sport/uploads/docs/IRL annual report 2023.pdf

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Damien said:

the most significant increase being in youth rugby league as Welsh clubs continue to deepen their community roots

That has a very pleasing and satisfying ring to it. 

Could sound even better if UK community club RL provided the option of League Tag as standard. Wish everyone involved in development would have a look at the Cronulla Junior League model.

• Like 2

Great news, really positive. 

Must admit I don’t understand what “mainly as a result of the recategorisation of the ‘leisure’ licence, “ means as explanation for France’s playing number reduction though.

I think the 2021 PNG season was still disrupted by covid, so that might explain why 2022's figures show such a huge leap.

The wider issue in PNG, or one of them anyway, has always been that leagues had to pay an affiliation fee to the PNGRFL in order to join. However, in a country where 80% of the population are subsistence farmers, the vast majority of players don't have that sort of money to spend. So, there have always been lots of leagues all over the country which are not affiliated to the PNGRFL, which means participation numbers are very misleading.

That said, the new development systems coming online should see a big uptick in official schoolboys competitions, which will see another big rise in official playing numbers.

Edited by nadera78
  • Like 3

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

5 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Could sound even better if UK community club RL provided the option of League Tag as standard. Wish everyone involved in development would have a look at the Cronulla Junior League model.

Got a link? Or will Google assist me?

6 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

I think it was Noumea that was running a try Rugby League day this weekend or soon, League Tag was first up followed by the tackle version. Give the kids a taster and then when they are ready, they may have a go at the tackle version, the one they see on telly.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

I saw the Play NRL tv commercial last night and they included footage of League Tag. It’s a great development.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

Got a link? Or will Google assist me?

I'm a tech ignoramus, so Google will have to be your friend.

I've posted paeans of praise to the Cronulla JRL on various threads over the years. The gist is that where League Tag is fully integrated, it more than doubles the number of participants in RL clubs. For every Tackle grade, there's a corresponding Tag grade. Some clubs in the Sutherland shire have up to 20 LT teams.

There's around half a dozen videos on YouTube from their 2019 finals. Each is several hours long. Dip in and out and you get a sense of the scale. And that RL functions best as a community game when it's delivered as a contact/non-contact package.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, nadera78 said:

I think the 2021 PNG season was still disrupted by covid, so that might explain why 2022's figures show such a huge leap.

The wider issue in PNG, or one of them anyway, has always been that leagues had to pay an affiliation fee to the PNGRFL in order to join. However, in a country where 80% of the population are subsistence farmers, the vast majority of players don't have that sort of money to spend. So, there have always been lots of leagues all over the country which are not affiliated to the PNGRFL, which means participation numbers are very misleading.

That said, the new development systems coming online should see a big uptick in official schoolboys competitions, which will see another big rise in official playing numbers.

That's what I alluded to in my opening post. I think we all know that the true PNG playing figures are way higher.

• Like 1