6 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Irrespective of the great finish, I thought the whole game was one of the best I have witnessed in my many years of watching this sport, it had everything.

Just my opinion of course.

It was a great game.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Incredible finish and match - just watched it after ‘taping’ it prior.

on your ferguson videostar?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

10 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Betamax!

be careful not to tape over the paul hogan show or benson 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

The Xavier Coates try is certainly in the discussion for the best match-winning try. To pull off such a feat in the dying seconds with the game on the line is remarkable.

I see that Jahrome Hughes has picked up a ban for a ref push in this match, what a load of coal, the ref was ideally placed in the defence line to make it unavoidable, tried to put a link on couldn't but it is on YouTube for those interested.

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I see that Jahrome Hughes has picked up a ban for a ref push in this match, what a load of coal, the ref was ideally placed in the defence line to make it unavoidable, tried to put a link on couldn't but it is on YouTube for those interested.

I'm pretty happy with all player contact with the referee being punished.  He pushed the ref to the ground and I don't think that should be tolerated, even if in this instance Hughes was frustrated with the position of the ref.

We have to draw an absolute zero tolerance line on these things as we all know that all things creep in scope and if one person gets away with it then it will happen more often and sometimes maliciously (disguised as an accident).

Setting a zero tolerance stance now saves a whole lot of hassle later down the line.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

43 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I'm pretty happy with all player contact with the referee being punished.  He pushed the ref to the ground and I don't think that should be tolerated, even if in this instance Hughes was frustrated with the position of the ref.

We have to draw an absolute zero tolerance line on these things as we all know that all things creep in scope and if one person gets away with it then it will happen more often and sometimes maliciously (disguised as an accident).

Setting a zero tolerance stance now saves a whole lot of hassle later down the line.

Totally disagree, the ref was stood in such a position that when the attacking player feigned to go his right the refs and Hughes left, Hughes was looking at the player and was taking action to prevent him scoring, contact with the ref was unavoidable, in my opinion to get to a position to be good enough to ref in the NRL thectef should be well aware of the position he should take up.

You really have a low esteem on human nature that :-

"if one person gets away with it then it will happen more often and sometimes maliciously (disguised as an accident)"

Let's just switch that round, what if a ref (not saying it will or could ever happen) favoured a particular team, knowing he will get away with it by purposefully obstructing a player by standing in the defensive line. That to me is just as daft as your suggestion.

So you see your zero tolerance stance could work both ways, it was just an unfortunate accidental occurrence and should have been left as such. 

Edited by Harry Stottle

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Totally disagree, the ref was stood in such a position that the attacking player feigned to go his right the refs and Hughes left, Hughes was looking at the player and was taking action to prevent him scoring, contact with the ref was unavoidable, to get to a position to be good enough to ref in the NRL thectef should be well aware of the position he should take up.

This must happen dozens of times a game, particularly when a team is defending their own line.  The referee can't just disappear.

You really have a low esteem on human nature that :-

"if one person gets away with it then it will happen more often and sometimes maliciously (disguised as an accident)"

I cannot believe the naivety of this statement.  There are videos of players deliberately making contact with the ref.  We saw one just this year, when a player ran into a ref, that we both commented on.

If players think they can get away with deliberate contact with the ref because ‘he was in the way’ then some will.  They already have.

Let's just switch that round, what if a ref (not saying it will or could ever happen) favoured a particular team, knowing he will get away with it by purposefully obstructing a player by standing in the defensive line. That to me is just as daft as your suggestion.

So you see your zero tolerance stance could work both ways, it was just an unfortunate accidental occurrence and should have been left as such. 

Ridiculous comment.  Are you suggesting that a referee favouring a team would believe that the best way they could influence the outcome would be to stand in the way of a defender.

Rather than, you know, actually giving decisions to his favoured team.

9 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

That to me is just as daft as your suggestion.

I have to give you the credit here, I think your suggestion is more daft.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

16 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

This must happen dozens of times a game, particularly when a team is defending their own line.  The referee can't just disappear.

I cannot believe the naivety of this statement.  There are videos of players deliberately making contact with the ref.  We saw one just this year, when a player ran into a ref, that we both commented on.

If players think they can get away with deliberate contact with the ref because ‘he was in the way’ then some will.  They already have.

Ridiculous comment.  Are you suggesting that a referee favouring a team would believe that the best way they could influence the outcome would be to stand in the way of a defender.

Rather than, you know, actually giving decisions to his favoured team.

I have to give you the credit here, I think your suggestion is more daft.

Let's just leave it that we will agree to disagree, I consider your suggestion to be just as weird as you consider mine to be, you have said your bit, I replied no need to go any further.

• Like 1

On 19/03/2024 at 12:58, phiggins said:

For some reason, this reminded me of a try Hull scored against Leigh last season, that was so unnecessary and cumbersome that it was almost spectacular in it's own way. About 1:10 on here: 

And a massive fumble knock forward, that goes unmentioned?

Taking corner flag contact out of the game as an in touch call was one of the best rule changes the game has ever made. 

Someone like Martin Offiah must look back and think if he had that rule he would have racked up another 50 tries in his career.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, arcticchris said:

Taking corner flag contact out of the game as an in touch call was one of the best rule changes the game has ever made. 

Someone like Martin Offiah must look back and think if he had that rule he would have racked up another 50 tries in his career.

I still haven't got used to it. Not sure I like it.

Do not fear; only BELIEVE

16 hours ago, arcticchris said:

That and the video ref.