take 3 guns out of an NRL team and ...............

always think this during origin time and the evidence was at the fore today with the Broncos - no Adam Reynolds - no Payne Haas and Reece Walsh going off very early - suddenly these teams look no better than Salford or  Leigh -even  Panthers during origin look very very ordinary  without their main guns - so are NRL  teams hyped round a 3 or 4 player core system and when the batteries are out the switch is off? 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

29 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

always think this during origin time and the evidence was at the fore today with the Broncos - no Adam Reynolds - no Payne Haas and Reece Walsh going off very early - suddenly these teams look no better than Salford or  Leigh -even  Panthers during origin look very very ordinary  without their main guns - so are NRL  teams hyped round a 3 or 4 player core system and when the batteries are out the switch is off? 

In a sense, it is a sign that the salary cap is working. No team can afford more than 3 A-List players. I think tonight's Broncos would have easily beaten Salford and Leigh.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

In a sense, it is a sign that the salary cap is working. No team can afford more than 3 A-List players. I think tonight's Broncos would have easily beaten Salford and Leigh.

not sure - they looked a different outfit without their 3 guns

2 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

They were belted weren’t they. It’s not a massive surprise to see teams drop a level or two with three best players missing. Strewth, just one player can make a huge difference. See Manly without Turbo first half of the year he won Dally M, or Knights late run last year with Ponga on fire.

For what it’s worth, I agree with @Farmduck, Leigh and Salford are still getting smoked by that Brisbane side.

3 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

They were belted weren’t they. It’s not a massive surprise to see teams drop a level or two with three best players missing. Strewth, just one player can make a huge difference. See Manly without Turbo first half of the year he won Dally M, or Knights late run last year with Ponga on fire.

For what it’s worth, I agree with @Farmduck, Leigh and Salford are still getting smoked by that Brisbane side.

Panthers are next level though aren`t they, the ball continually sweeping from one side of the field to other probing for weaknesses in defence, and not with a particularly large backline either, if their style of play (even with my misgivings about their lift and drag back defence) is the future of Rugby League, well bring it on.

HST, Walters stuffed up with his interchange, had Tristan Sailor been on the bench rather than being 18th man we might have seen a different outcome or at least a more competitive Brisbane team, and Brisbane not being like Souths the week before with a second-rower in the backline getting torn to shreds.

Another rubbish tactic of the Panthers defence is the third man in the way of the PTB. The Broncos were penalised when someone tried to push Luai out of the way, and he made a deal out of it, but I'm fully with the attacking side on this. Its clearly a deliberate tactic designed to slow the PTB and ought to be a penalty the other way. 

When they get moving in attack though the Panthers are a long way ahead of everyone else. They are so-well drilled as a unit that once they click into gear they are almost impossible to stop. They were clunky against Wigan and the Storm, but now look just as hard to beat as ever. 

Back to the original point.

Whilst I don’t entirely agree I do see the point that take the best three players out and the effectiveness of the NRL teams would reduce markedly. I suspect they would be still above SL but not by a massive amount.

I went to Vegas and seeing those games live the effect of Mitchell, Murray and arguably Burgess on South’s for example was huge. 

9 hours ago, Leigh-On-Kiwi said:

Why just Leigh or Salford... do you mean to say any Super League team bar last seasons top 2/3 teams?

Given that Leigh won the challenge cup last year, and Salford have recently beaten Saints, I find the opening few comments quite bizarre. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, johnh1 said:

Given that Leigh won the challenge cup last year, and Salford have recently beaten Saints, I find the opening few comments quite bizarre. 

sorry was just using them as a SL  average standard eg- do NRL teams structure round the big guns too much? then when they're not there there is no plan B?

22 hours ago, phiggins said:

So, is the gist of this thread that teams aren't as good without their best players, and weakened NRL teams will still be stronger than some Super League teams?

Groundbreaking.

No I think you’ve missed the point.

Point being the standard of the top 3 players at each NRL club is often markedly above the rest. 

The OP was stating that in his opinion the standard of the rest of the team was similar to SL. 

On 22/03/2024 at 17:08, RS said:

Back to the original point.

Whilst I don’t entirely agree I do see the point that take the best three players out and the effectiveness of the NRL teams would reduce markedly. I suspect they would be still above SL but not by a massive amount.

I went to Vegas and seeing those games live the effect of Mitchell, Murray and arguably Burgess on South’s for example was huge. 

I’m pretty sure it’s just a general rugby league point. Take the best 3 players out of an NRL, SL, Championship or Queensland Cup team and it’s going to have a significant impact on that teams effectiveness.

Take Jai Field, Bevan French & Harry Smith out of Wigan and they’re not winning SL. Heck, they may even struggle to make the SL play offs with out those three.

• Like 1

just caught up on the knights v storm game - no hughes or munster and a forward missing leading to a loss against a knights team that were underwhelming to say the least