Fri 29th-Sun 31st Mar: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

1 hour ago, Bull Mania said:

Bulls with a solid win over Fax to get our season up and running. 

For an experienced former international, thought Widdops decision making was really poor. 

Ivan Cleary would look average playing behind our pack. I don't think Widdop is deserving the slating he is getting from fans of either team. We had a lot worse performers than him.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Ivan Cleary would look average playing behind our pack. I don't think Widdop is deserving the slating he is getting from fans of either team. We had a lot worse performers than him.

Tbh wasn't confident we'd win. Thought you'd have more spark than you did. 

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

5 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

Tbh wasn't confident we'd win. Thought you'd have more spark than you did. 

I thought we dominated for about 25-30 minutes of the first half but our energy levels dropped off a cliff in the second half. No real surprise after last week and playing with 15 players for most of the match didn't help. I think Fax fans are reading more in to this result than they need to. Bradford have a huge squad and I think they will finish 2nd/3rd this year, last night was a free hit out for us and our season will be defined more against mid table teams like York and Widnes than it will playing against the likes of Bradford. Sad times but its just where we are at the moment.

1 hour ago, gazza77 said:

The floodlights do need upgrading. Given the terracing issues, I'd suggest that's the priority for upgrading next however.

2 million pounds from the council what as that been spent on yet ? New bulbs and barriers won't break the bank out of that surely ? Imho the floodlights do need to be a better standard, summer rugby starts in February/March. And don't get me started on the disgusting car park it's a disgrace.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

I thought we dominated for about 25-30 minutes of the first half but our energy levels dropped off a cliff in the second half. No real surprise after last week and playing with 15 players for most of the match didn't help. I think Fax fans are reading more in to this result than they need to. Bradford have a huge squad and I think they will finish 2nd/3rd this year, last night was a free hit out for us and our season will be defined more against mid table teams like York and Widnes than it will playing against the likes of Bradford. Sad times but its just where we are at the moment.

Yep not denying first half. Wouldn't say its a massive squad, or should I say we didn't start the season with one. I think you'll do OK this season. Plus you'll beat us at yours.

• Like 1

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

Cracking game between fev and Wakefield. Wakefield will walk the league but it won't be all easy peasy. I'm enjoying a more battle hardened featherstone this year. Played 4 very strong teams back to back  (Wakefield x2 Leigh and Batley away) and haven't disgraced ourselves once. We may have lost 'big name stars' but seemed to have gained pride for the shirt.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Wolfey Rovers said:

Cracking game between fev and Wakefield. Wakefield will walk the league but it won't be all easy peasy. I'm enjoying a more battle hardened featherstone this year. Played 4 very strong teams back to back  (Wakefield x2 Leigh and Batley away) and haven't disgraced ourselves once. We may have lost 'big name stars' but seemed to have gained pride for the shirt.

Spot on and you can see the players WANT to play for the club and never gave up in any game when behind.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fevrover said:

Spot on and you can see the players WANT to play for the club and never gave up in any game when behind.

As a trinity fan it was a very good competitive game. 

I was impressed by Fev’s handling but not by Trinity. We gifted set after set after set with penalties (ridiculous how many times we were pinged for offsides) and dropping the ball. I see plenty room for improvement though at Trinity. 

Regards Fev, looking at their starting 13 it’s pretty strong and has plenty SL and good standard players in there. I can see Fev finishing 2/3rd and being a team to be wary off during playoffs. What I do think is Fev’s issue is lack of depth and quality in depth if they start to pick up a few injuries when teams do. Still reckon they won’t lose many at home and will likely finish second. 

The Wakey v Fev game was better quality and entertainment that a few SL games so far this season. It’s a real shame that some significant sponsorship and coverage similar to Sky deal but of lesser value can’t be sorted to help grow the comp. 

There’s a few teams with good potential in the league and some who have recruited very well too. 

No trinity fan is taking the championship lightly but equally with almost half a full squad and a number of overseas players who came late into the pre season/season start I’m excited to see how we go. I can only see trinity getting stronger as the season progresses. 

That Vagana is a real find and he’s missed all pre-season only joining about 4 weeks ago. Could be some player that lad. 

Edited by Trojan Horse
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Trojan Horse said:

As a trinity fan it was a very good competitive game. 

I was impressed by Fev’s handling but not by Trinity. We gifted set after set after set with penalties (ridiculous how many times we were pinged for offsides) and dropping the ball. I see plenty room for improvement though at Trinity. 

Regards Fev, looking at their starting 13 it’s pretty strong and has plenty SL and good standard players in there. I can see Fev finishing 2/3rd and being a team to be wary off during playoffs. What I do think is Fev’s issue is lack of depth and quality in depth if they start to pick up a few injuries when teams do. Still reckon they won’t lose many at home and will likely finish second. 

The Wakey v Fev game was better quality and entertainment that a few SL games so far this season. It’s a real shame that some significant sponsorship and coverage similar to Sky deal but of lesser value can’t be sorted to help grow the comp. 

There’s a few teams with good potential in the league and some who have recruited very well too. 

No trinity fan is taking the championship lightly but equally with almost half a full squad and a number of overseas players who came late into the pre season/season start I’m excited to see how we go. I can only see trinity getting stronger as the season progresses. 

That Vagana is a real find and he’s missed all pre-season only joining about 4 weeks ago. Could be some player that lad. 

We missed Lacans last night and we've got some good players to come back after injury. No pressure this season and so far been better to watch. 

4 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

We missed Lacans last night and we've got some good players to come back after injury. No pressure this season and so far been better to watch. 

Looking forward to seeing McGillvray, Cozza and Bain back from injury too for Trinity. Should add to the starting line up. I’m not sure why we only played 16 players yesterday. 3rd time this season we’ve done that strangely. 

Lacans is a pretty good halfback with a boot on him. 

There is always pressure in rugby and Fev will be under it as will all teams when the business part of the season comes. Going to be a fun season without a doubt. 

10 hours ago, Trojan Horse said:

Looking forward to seeing McGillvray, Cozza and Bain back from injury too for Trinity. Should add to the starting line up. I’m not sure why we only played 16 players yesterday. 3rd time this season we’ve done that strangely. 

Lacans is a pretty good halfback with a boot on him. 

There is always pressure in rugby and Fev will be under it as will all teams when the business part of the season comes. Going to be a fun season without a doubt. 

Can't be no worse then last two seasons for both teams can it ? Lol.

1 hour ago, Fevrover said:

Can't be no worse then last two seasons for both teams can it ? Lol.

Absolutely not, as a trinity fan we are more used to being on the receiving end of a loss. 

It’s a huge shift for us to see a team winning week in week out (mostly). It’s a refreshing change! 

Let’s see how the season turns out but I’m sure both teams will be right up there. Enjoy your rugby!

• Like 2

Watching York v Toulouse on SL+ and that Toulouse strip looks really smart. The visitors are currently 0:8 up, but its's early days.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, Trojan Horse said:

Absolutely not, as a trinity fan we are more used to being on the receiving end of a loss. 

It’s a huge shift for us to see a team winning week in week out (mostly). It’s a refreshing change! 

Let’s see how the season turns out but I’m sure both teams will be right up there. Enjoy your rugby!

Feels different/ better already for some of us.

Harrison Hansen red-carded! York need to take advantage with nearly an hour to go.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 minutes ago, Bull Mania said:

No issue with that red. Awful technique from Hanson. 

It was the kind of thing you might expect from a hot-headed youngster, overexcited on his debut. Hansen knows better.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

SL+ played a bit of the We are York documentary series during HT.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Really poor from York IMO Toulouse are a good team, but with the money York have spent, if you're aiming high, Toulouse at home is a game you want to try lay down a marker or at least give them a game. York looked way off despite having a man extra from The half hour mark and then two extra men with 15 mins left. 

Despite the commentator raving about Yorks attacking play at the end , think it was more to do with Toulouse running out of men! 

6 minutes ago, Bull Mania said:

Really poor from York IMO Toulouse are a good team, but with the money York have spent, if you're aiming high, Toulouse at home is a game you want to try lay down a marker or at least give them a game. York looked way off despite having a man extra from The half hour mark and then two extra men with 15 mins left. 

Despite the commentator raving about Yorks attacking play at the end , think it was more to do with Toulouse running out of men! 

What money have York spent?  Genuine question.  If you have any info on this I would much appreciate it.

6 minutes ago, gavin7094 said:

What money have York spent?  Genuine question.  If you have any info on this I would much appreciate it.

No info (I'm definitely not "in the know") 

But looking at their squad with the likes of  Myler, Higano, Dagger, Thompson, Lineham, they'll be up there as one of the highest spenders in the league. They've a big strong squad. 

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, gavin7094 said:

Only player who we might have spent anything on is Myler and I think that is only on his contract. Shocking display today, no direction or shape, Hingano looks like he picked up as injury to his thigh / groin . You don’t realise what Jordy Thompson does until he isn’t on the field, and my how we missed him and what he brings to the team today. Can’t argue with the red cards that Toulouse got ,the second one especially, can’t see Akouola getting anything less than 3 matches for laying out Ronan Michael, it was a shocker. On a positive note there should be a couple back for the trip to Barrow, but Hingano and Michael may not make it. I didn’t think Toulouse were anything special, but to be fair they didn’t need to be today.

• Like 1