Match thread: Championship Round 3. Featherstone Rovers v Bradford Bulls. Sunday 7th April 2024.

Two straight losses for Featherstone Rovers, but it doesn't feel like it.

I found a lot to be positive about with our performances against both Leigh and Wakefield.

I wouldn't mind us getting the two points v Bradford though. 😉

Where are we with players?

From our 25 man squad we have Roberts, Day and presumably (haven't heard) Yei suspended.

We've got Lacans, Tanner, Bussey, Massey and Arnold injured.

So, even with fringe players Farrar and Harris, we'll need a bit of DR help.

Gorman's done a lot of good things so far. Fishwick didn't do that many minutes v Wakey, but he's worth a place I feel.

The line up could be very similar to last week unless anyone on that injury list is ready for a return.

9 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Two straight losses for Featherstone Rovers, but it doesn't feel like it.

I found a lot to be positive about with our performances against both Leigh and Wakefield.

I wouldn't mind us getting the two points v Bradford though. 😉

Where are we with players?

From our 25 man squad we have Roberts, Day and presumably (haven't heard) Yei suspended.

We've got Lacans, Tanner, Bussey, Massey and Arnold injured.

So, even with fringe players Farrar and Harris, we'll need a bit of DR help.

Gorman's done a lot of good things so far. Fishwick didn't do that many minutes v Wakey, but he's worth a place I feel.

The line up could be very similar to last week unless anyone on that injury list is ready for a return.

Yei's tribunal hearing is tomorrow 

• Thanks 1

We'll be desperately hoping that Gadwin's tight hammy that saw him limp off on Friday is ok. Fishwick also went off with a shoulder niggle. We're already at bare bones.

Bradford have a few injury issues themselves and John Davies played half back for them against Halifax.

I'd think Wynne might be back in the starting line-up on the wing after Wacokecoke was substituted at half time on Friday. I don't actually think either of the two first half tries were Manoa's fault, we just got the numbers wrong, but he has generally struggled defensively. It's a tricky one because he clearly has some ability and promise,but I'm not sure we can afford to leak tries down that side, so we need to do something to shake it up.

We've had a string of very tough games with a thin squad and my concern is whether we can keep showing up as admirably as we have been doing. The first 20 minutes at Batley I definitely thought there was a lacklustre legacy from the brutal Wakefield cup game. Bradford will be desperate to finally put one over on us.

We should be stronger the following week with Day set to return and Bussey and Massey possibly back in contention, but it will take a big effort to beat Bradford this weekend.

• Like 4

Can’t see many been there Charing 100 quid a ticket hope it was just set up wrong and not the cost for one match.

never been a happy hunting ground for us think we only won there the first time we came down hoping closer than recent times. 

we might have some suspensions back this weekend and the Aussies should be bedded in having had some minutes against fax.

looking forward to the game best chance in awhile to win there but could easily go either way specially you having your own injury issues. With more rain due this week will come down to the forwards and the kicking game from both teams to who comes out on top looking forward to it.

724F228D-AE07-4F68-B9FA-432A119F5C2E.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Bullmania said:

Can’t see many been there Charing 100 quid a ticket hope it was just set up wrong and not the cost for one match.

never been a happy hunting ground for us think we only won there the first time we came down hoping closer than recent times. 

we might have some suspensions back this weekend and the Aussies should be bedded in having had some minutes against fax.

looking forward to the game best chance in awhile to win there but could easily go either way specially you having your own injury issues. With more rain due this week will come down to the forwards and the kicking game from both teams to who comes out on top looking forward to it.

Not our website - donate to Bulls academy lol. 

I am sure the ticket price will help to pay for this super dooper stadium Wood wants.

1 hour ago, Bullmania said:

Just think that if you bring 2000 spectators like Wakey did at that price we can afford to pay a couple of our players😀😀😀

• Haha 4

I think this game will probably be won by who controls the middle (winning the collisions, ruck speed and line speed) as if the two teams play the same half backs as last week it's hard to see see the ball fizzing across the line with structured moves too much.

Fordy acknowledged that they rolled us up the middle in the pre-season game a little bit (even though we won) but this is a competitive event and hopefully we'll prove a sterner proposition this time.

Like us they are missing a few, Gaskell at half back and Ebon Scurr in the pack probably the most notable ones, and I think Taufua is still suspended. I watched the Halifax game and thought their best forward was the Warrington loanee Max Wood but he's been recalled after just 1 game - as I've said many times on here, loans really are no different to dual reg they way they work these days. Doro and Appo are powerful forwards and their new signing Fulton looked good going forward last week, and of course Davies & Smith will be fired up for this one.

If we can match them in the middle of the field I'd like to think one or two of our playmakers might do enough for us to nick it, but after so many gruelling games lately this is another tough task for a team that's still at a very formative stage.

12 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Connor Jones 100th game for Fev, as has been widely reported all over the internet (my Facebook and my Xitter accounts).

He's adopted the tried-and-trusted, patented Stu Dickens method of trying a year at Salford just to confirm that Fev's the best place to be.

• Like 5

Some fringe SL players will just make the numbers up taking their wage without playing much.But  playing is what it's about so a regular start in the Championship and less money is preferable.I know which type of player i respect most.

Wow...if you thought we had some bad publicity this season...Bradford have just announced they have signed, on loan, Fenton Rogers, who has just been suspended by Huddersfield after being arrested for drink driving and assaulting either a police officer or an emergency worker (the story seems to vary). 

Could be straight into the team against us, if he can get a lift to the ground.

Edited by The Phantom Horseman

12 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Wow...if you thought we had some bad publicity this season...Bradford have just announced they have signed, on loan, Fenton Rogers, who has just been suspended by Huddersfield after being arrested for drink driving and assaulting either a police officer or an emergency worker (the story seems to vary). 

Could be straight into the team against us, if he can get a lift to the ground.

Huddersfield have now closed the case and he is free to play(for now)

https://www.giantsrl.com/article/8816/rogers-suspension-lifted

What he heck is Bradford playing at. They are , in my opinion bringing the game into disrepute by signing a lawbreaker, and definitely sending the completely wrong message as to what OUR game is all about.If he does play he should be insulted , and booed every time he touches the ball. 

No wonder our game can be a laughing stock to the wider public,.

21-man squad has been posted on RFL website. The big blow - no Springer. That's huge, clearly his hamstring is still an issue.

On the plus side Day is included - looks like his ban counted last week after all because it came in a Challenge Cup game - and Bussey is included too, though whether he's ready to resume remains to be seen. 4 Hull KR DR players are included (Aydin, Gorman, Tennison and Wallace) which suggests Bussey probably isn't ready yet. Still no Tanner or Massey, Yei is suspended, so along with Springer that's 4 of the middles we might have expetced to feature in the 17 unavailable, along with fringe middles Roberts and Arnold, which explains the need for reinforcements on DR.

If Wallace is going to play that might mean Hardcastle reverting to right centre which might help shore up that side defensively. My guess at the 4 to miss out might be Farrar, Wacokecoke, Bussey and Tomlinson, but that's a total guess.

4 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

If Wallace is going to play that might mean Hardcastle reverting to right centre which might help shore up that side defensively. My guess at the 4 to miss out might be Farrar, Wacokecoke, Bussey and Tomlinson, but that's a total guess.

Actually if that happens I don't know how we fit Gorman in. Not sure how we'll line up tbh.