Sponsorships

Just watching a bit of the F1 and I noticed Heineken 0.0 sponsorship knocking about. I’m assuming because various countries ban alcohol sponsorships the 0.0 is a good way round it. My question is does the rise of alcohol free beer by the big breweries reopen this avenue of sponsorship for RL clubs. It was after all a massive income stream when it was available. 

2 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Just watching a bit of the F1 and I noticed Heineken 0.0 sponsorship knocking about. I’m assuming because various countries ban alcohol sponsorships the 0.0 is a good way round it. My question is does the rise of alcohol free beer by the big breweries reopen this avenue of sponsorship for RL clubs. It was after all a massive income stream when it was available. 

I think that RL is going to have a serious problem in the next few years when we start cracking down on betting sponsorship in this country. I hate that we've got most of our eggs in one basket. 

16 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Not unlike your club Bob, using vapes instead of the banned nicotine.

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Not unlike your club Bob, using vapes instead of the banned nicotine.

It won’t be long before vape and as Sam says betting sponsorships are banned as well. Cigs Beer and betting where massive parts of RL clubs income is there an opportunity to get one of those back that’s the question. 

8 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

It won’t be long before vape and as Sam says betting sponsorships are banned as well. Cigs Beer and betting where massive parts of RL clubs income is there an opportunity to get one of those back that’s the question. 

Not a cat in hell's chance bob, that is a law makers and society choice not Rugby Leagues.

I don't think it will be a major replacement, it will always be a rather niche market and sideline for the beer companies in my opinion.

Rightly or wrongly I suspect they may not see RL fans as a target market for their product either, precisely because of the connections with betting, beer and cigarettes that have been cited.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Not a cat in hell's chance bob, that is a law makers and society choice not Rugby Leagues.

It’s already there with alcohol free beer can RL take advantage of it I suppose that’s the question. 

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

I don't think it will be a major replacement, it will always be a rather niche market and sideline for the beer companies in my opinion.

Rightly or wrongly I suspect they may not see RL fans as a target market for their product either, precisely because of the connections with betting, beer and cigarettes that have been cited.

You say that but the Rovers Return Inn now serves Heineken 0.0 with no alcoholic Heineken in sight. Must be worth it for Heineken to get their name out there.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

I don't think it will be a major replacement, it will always be a rather niche market and sideline for the beer companies in my opinion

I was reading a report only a couple of days ago that low alcohol and alcohol free alternatives are getting more and more traction and sales and are really taking off big time not only when people go out to pubs and restaurants but also at home, you only have to look on supermarket shelves these days to see the many alternatives available, N/A beers, wines and even spirits, compare that to just a couple of years ago when there was hardly anything, supermarkets would not keep stocking it if it wasn't selling.

The 'niche' as you call it, is getting bigger.

8 minutes ago, Damien said:

The point is if you could have Guinness 0.0 or Heineken 0.0 on you shirts as a sort of loop hole everyone knows what those companies do it’s sort of advertising by the back door. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

The point is if you could have Guinness 0.0 or Heineken 0.0 on you shirts as a sort of loop hole everyone knows what those companies do it’s sort of advertising by the back door. 

I wonder what the ruling with non alcohololic drinks being on kids shirts is. If there's a loophole there, it needs closing quickly before someone gets on to it.

5 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Fair enough, the thing is we aren't even getting those companies as it is. RU does though as they look to sell to more lucrative target demographics.

This year has been fantastic for brands advertising at SL matches 

Optty/Mastercard /Bulldog Skincare/Wendys Restaurants/Duracell to name but a few.

Over 40 new clients for us to RL this year + RL commercial have done a fantastic job attacting the german beer company and retaining Betfred who have been a fantastic sponsor.

I would add that having an exclusive betting partner also stops the game being infested (Like football) with betting companies.

France v England in Toulouse totally sold out with sponsors.

Clubs doing a great job to with local sponsors.

All in all a great year so far.

Edited by ATLANTISMAN
  • Like 9

4 hours ago, sam4731 said:

I think that RL is going to have a serious problem in the next few years when we start cracking down on betting sponsorship in this country. I hate that we've got most of our eggs in one basket. 

To be fair other than the top 5/6 EPL clubs the majority of football sponsorship is betting companies 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

To be fair other than the top 5/6 EPL clubs the majority of football sponsorship is betting companies 

Football is starting to see the writing on the wall. Yes, the recent measure to not allow a betting company to be your main shirt sponsor may a very small gesture but its about starting that preparation for what's to come.

25 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Could be a goer. Seeing England running out sponsored by John Smith's Nowt

If you have a 5% abv beer sponsor, but play zero games, is that OK?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, sam4731 said:

You say that but the Rovers Return Inn now serves Heineken 0.0 with no alcoholic Heineken in sight. Must be worth it for Heineken to get their name out there.

They flog 0.0 in the Woolpack too.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Indeed, Deportivo La Coruna have been sponsored by a non alcoholic beer for years. 

7 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I was reading a report only a couple of days ago that low alcohol and alcohol free alternatives are getting more and more traction and sales and are really taking off big time not only when people go out to pubs and restaurants but also at home, you only have to look on supermarket shelves these days to see the many alternatives available, N/A beers, wines and even spirits, compare that to just a couple of years ago when there was hardly anything, supermarkets would not keep stocking it if it wasn't selling.

The 'niche' as you call it, is getting bigger.

Alcohol free beer is like meat free pies. I was always surprised in those long gone days of the EU that they were allowed to call it beer.

When we lose the betting sponsorship money we will have to hope for more competition in the market for mushy peas.

15 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

Alcohol free beer is like meat free pies. I was always surprised in those long gone days of the EU that they were allowed to call it beer.

When we lose the betting sponsorship money we will have to hope for more competition in the market for mushy peas.

Perfect opportunity to remember the 'Can of Steel'

IMG_1339 (1).jpg